How do I stop over-analyzing it!!

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
This is my downfall. I'm not quite sure how I ever actually managed to get in a relationship (divorced and a couple of long terms) before because I study every little thing the guy does trying to get in his head and figure out what is going on in there.

I know it annoys the guy.

Hell, it annoys me.

But I just can't seem to stop myself. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Is it just curiosity or OCD?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Is it just curiosity or OCD?

I'm pretty sure its curiosity... I'm too flaky to be OCD. LOL!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    percoset and tequila or just find a guy who is so weird you are afraid to figure out what is going on in his mind.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    percoset and tequila or just find a guy who is so weird you are afraid to figure out what is going on in his mind.

Good suggestions! LOL!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Redirect your thoughts. It's not easy, and a very conscious process. When you think you are over analyzing something then go on your phone and google baby animals or look up new workouts. Pick up a book and read a chapter, then think about the chapter. If you're at work put on some music and FOCUS on the lyrics. It's hard but eventually you'll get pretty good at ignoring things - or at least not acting on irrationalities.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    This is my downfall. I'm not quite sure how I ever actually managed to get in a relationship (divorced and a couple of long terms) before because I study every little thing the guy does trying to get in his head and figure out what is going on in there.

- People are either good at "getting in people's head", understanding the motives of other people and do it properly, so that it doesn't hinder them and their relationships (i.e. people that are good at judging people)
    or
    - People have to ask questions to "figure out" what is going in there.

So:
    - Suggestion 1: improve your judgement/analysis to second guess properly.
    - Suggestion 2: communicate and ask questions rather than second guess.

I will let you figure out which one is easiest...
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    haha i know just how u feel. i have to cut off communications when it gets too difficult. if i'm having to over analyze things and things arent defined and we've had "the talk" and i'm driving myself crazy. yup going through this very thing at the moment.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    haha i know just how u feel. i have to cut off communications when it gets too difficult. if i'm having to over analyze things and things arent defined and we've had "the talk" and i'm driving myself crazy. yup going through this very thing at the moment.

Ditto to this. I guess I'm super single - as opposed to just "regular" single. Ive been talking with someone whom I met here in the States months ago and he's Canadian. Just told me he had a date on Sat. I asked him why he didn't mention it before and I still don't have a problem...sorta. I thought we were cool and talked it over if we met or had plans to met someone we'd let them know before hand. I feel so lost now. And he's avoiding me. Grrrrr.
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot...which is probably why I'm single.....:yawn: good luck!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I dunno for a while I used to over analyze everything. One time when I was a teen my father came home drunk. Seemed angry didn't really know what was up. Nothing bad ha
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

- People are either good at "getting in people's head", understanding the motives of other people and do it properly, so that it doesn't hinder them and their relationships (i.e. people that are good at judging people)
    or
    - People have to ask questions to "figure out" what is going in there.

So:
    - Suggestion 1: improve your judgement/analysis to second guess properly.
    - Suggestion 2: communicate and ask questions rather than second guess.

I will let you figure out which one is easiest...

Communication is definitely the challenging part. Men aren't very forthcoming about their feelings. If they would be, then they might rule the world instead of us ladies! :laugh: Just kidding about that last part.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you want to know what's going on in a mans head it's usually:
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

If you don't want to think about it so much try to give yourself something else to think about.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

If you don't want to think about it so much try to give yourself something else to think about.

I'm not talking about what he generally thinks about. I'm talking about what he thinks of me.

I thought that was obvious.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

I'm not talking about what he generally thinks about. I'm talking about what he thinks of me.

Of you...... Ok.

Then the answer is probably:
    What do her BOOBS look like right now?
    When are we going to have SEX?
    What FOOD is she making for dinner?
    I wonder if she's going to bring me a BEER?
    I wonder how long she's going to let me sit here and watch SPORTS???

Hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

Of you...... Ok.

I mean, I would get all that if we were already a couple.

So far, I think only the first two questions apply.
  • tangie82
    tangie82 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

Of you...... Ok.

I mean, I would get all that if we were already a couple.

So far, I think only the first two questions apply.

Why don' t you just ask him?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    There are two reason why people over think:

1. Their own insecurity

2. They dont communicate very well with their partner.

But usually, it's No.1. !! You need to work on your own self esteem and realise that you're worth your weight in gold. Then you won't have to question what someone thinks of you, cos you'll already know you're awesome!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    boobs/sex
    food
    beer
    sports

Of you...... Ok.

You get a gold star AND a banana sticker.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I just want you guys to know that in my tab, the preview of this page shows "How do I stop over-anal..."

That is all.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Overanalyzing is human nature. A lot of guys do it, too. I had a male friend call me when he got home from a date one night to ask me why I thought his date hugged him instead of kissing him at the end of the night. He said "Is it because she wasn't into me or because she wanted to drive me nuts by pressing her boobs against me and then leaving?" He was really agonizing over it.

So I don't think it's a male-female thing. I think, stemming from what Anna said, this happens when you like someone more than they like you because that's the only time you would even need to analyze anything. Consider the other two scenarios:

A) You go on a date with someone, and he seems really into you. You think he's nice, and you enjoy his company, but you're not picking out china patterns or anything. In that case, you're not analyzing anything at all; you're just going with the flow. You wouldn't mind seeing him again, but you'll survive without him, too.

B) You go on a date with someone, and there are fireworks. You're both really into each other, and it's obvious you're going to see each other again. You're not analyzing anything because his behavior clearly says "I really like you."

I know when I'm sitting around brooding about the fact that a guy isn't showing enough interest, it means I'm more invested in it than he is. And if it happens to be someone I know is a decent guy, I try even harder to justify keeping myself available for him, when what I should be doing is moving on and making myself open to meeting someone else.

The one thing I have learned is to not make myself the center of a guy's issues. A guy can not want to be in a relationship with me and still be a good guy. It's not a reflection on me, it's not a reflection on him; it's a reflection on the fact that we do not work together as a couple. And the great thing is, once you accept it and move on, you are free to meet someone else, but you are also free to try again with the first guy if circumstances bring you together again later on.