Favorite/Easiest food to eat after gastric bypass

Options
2»

Replies

• pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Before I could stomach solids, I ate a lot of shakes. I experimented a lot with different kinds. One of my favorite ways of getting in protein without having that protein taste was with fat free plain Greek Yogurt shakes made with fresh fruit and something else (usually a choice between 15 calorie lemonade, a sugar free popsicle, or just a little splenda for taste). I still eat this from time to time (especially after a workout since it's so refreshing).

My solid dinner when I first started being able to eat solids was baked tilapia rubbed with garlic and other spices and topped with a little low-fat parmesan and usually a little bit of cashews. It always hit the spot.

Now I tend to eat fish tacos (blackened tilapia, sauteed mushrooms and onions, low-fat cheese, dollop of plain greek yogurt, cherry tomatoes, low-calorie salsa verde, and sometimes a little avocado if I haven't gotten in much fat that day) all on a lo-carb 80 calorie tortilla. YUM.

If I want something easy to take with me somewhere, I make shrimp stir fry with a bag of walmart's frozen stir fry veggies and adding in a bunch of mushrooms and onions, sautee those up with the lowest calorie stir-fry sauce you can find and a bunch of shrimp. So good!
    I also like to prepare eggplant parmesan. The difference now is that I usually add unflavored protein powder to both the breading and the tomato sauce and always use the lowest calorie ingredients I can find. I'll bake up the breaded eggplant and freeze leftovers. I just pop a few in a tupperware container along with some sauce and take it to school.

If I'm really in a hurry for dinner, I generally keep some of jenny-o's turkey burgers in the freezer I can throw on the Foreman grill while I saute up some mushrooms and onions to put on top with some low-fat cheese. I usually just eat it like that, but sometimes if I'm craving some bread, I'll put it on a nature valley 100 calorie round (but then i can usually only eat half of it and save the other half for later).

If I have more time and want a burger, I'll get some super lean ground turkey or beef, mix it with low-fat cheese, chopped sweet peppers, mushrooms, onions, and sometimes a little pineapple and an egg to hold it together and put those patties on a grill.

Anyways... the important thing is to focus on building your meals around high protein foods and find something that you love. Good luck!
  • keewarrior
    Options
    I had surgery on 10/1/14 and it has been a lot of tuna fish and canned chicken. Great protein, but it gets old. Got the OK at my two week appt. for chili as long as it resembles Wendy's with little pieces of meat and no chunks. What a life saver for something different.

Fish is probably my biggest non pureed food. Trout and tilapia have been great as they are moist. Scallops with seafood sauce were awesome, but couldn't eat much of them. Just make sure whatever fish you start with it is moist or use plenty of tartar sauce, mayo, seafood sauce.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    At a year out I make proteins the staple of my diet. Beware dry foods - always make sure you use some type of sauce to help moisten meat (especially chicken). Pulled BBQ pork is a big favorite as is any type of fish. BEWARE a bagle (the nice NY boiled first ones)!!! Tried one (because I try everything once) at a retirement breakfast. Holy crap I though I was going to die for about 48 hours. This is the only food on the never again list.