80% of your success is outside the gym .Do you agree?

Options
So frustrating because i put in 100% focus and work at the gym but have come to realise my success is constantly being sabotaged by the choices i make outside the gym .Anybody share my pain ?

Replies

• 9chimera11
    9chimera11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Talk about it. Yesterday was a perfect example. I planned what to do at the gym carefully as it was my leg day but ended up getting dragged to a party because i was guilt tripped in to it. -_- I just wish my friends would know how important gym is to me n show some support. Sigh.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes. I can get to the gym and push myself and have a badass workout... BUT I have a hard time keeping my nutrition and eating choices pure the rest of the time. The more I work out the more I want to actually see the progress, so I do better... but still that cookie, or cake sounds amazing etc. I'm all for "all things in moderation" in theory, but when it comes to maximizing progress... meh.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes!! I've got the exercise part of the equation down pat. I love to do it and have for years. Intellectually I know that moderation is the key, but my emotions kick in and I find myself overeating time and again. Knowing what to do and doing it consistently are two different things. I get ticked off when some meathead posts on a thread "Eat less than you burn. It's that simple" If it were that simple, we'd lose weight and be done with it. For me 80% of success is getting my emotions/ head in the right place. Okay, rant over.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Jen, totally feel you. I've gotten *better* over the last year or two, started replacing some of my go to comfort food with lower calorie substitutes, and tried re-directing stress into working out instead of eating. It works sometimes, but... not all the time. I also tend to stress shop, which is not great for the bank account. :P
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You have all just described me perfectly!!!!! UGH!!

Starbucks, I love to stress shop! I have NO MONEY right now so can't...haha...wish I had more money b/c I'd rather shop than eat. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree 100% that (at least!) 80% of "success" is OUTSIDE of the weight-training I do.

At least.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Totally understand! I have always been one to workout, but when my eating habits got lax the weight crept up! My gym routine is so ingrained into my schedule I don't normally miss that. Most of my friends know that or also are very into working out. Keeping the eating on track is half that battle for me!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I agree. You get better results when you eat better AND workout. One helps the other. Kind of sucks some people haven't gotten to that conclusion..
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

thank you for bringing the subject.
    I was focused on exercise only for a long time and I was neglecting m nutrition. Not very good for my health.

This is the reason I am with MFP now so I can track what I eat, my macros (protein, complex carbs and healthy fats). It is easier said than done. I know I can do it . I will.

I will repeat here some good advice I read: Eat food, mostly plants. Not too much.
    Good luck in your journey