Fave tips that you give people--and they love it!

Options
conniedj
conniedj Posts: 470 Member
Do you find that you are often sought out for your "food knowledge"? I am....and I enjoy having discussions with people who are learning about real food for the first time. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard: "oh! I didn't know that"!

So I really enjoy researching new topics and advancing on all there is to learn....finding out that no matter how much I think i know, that it is really always the tip of the ice burg! And loving the challenge of having new things to incorporate into my homegrown database (read:brain)!

One tip that I have recently been sharing: Bromide. Flour used to be enriched with iodine/iodide, but in the 1940's was switched to Bromine. Bromated flour is said to use this additive to help speed up the aging process. You probably know all of this. But what you may not know is that Bromide also attaches to iodine receptors, blocking the uptake of iodine. ( Flouride and Chlorine do this as well). Other Sources: Flame retardants found in plastics,paints, electronic parts and fabrics. Bromated flour, bromated vegetable oils (i.e., Gatorade,Powerade, Squirt, Fresca, and MountainDew), contaminated drinking water.

If you have the chance to read about the use of this additive--it's quite interesting!

What are your fave "did you know" tips???

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    The only tips people love from me are recipes. They hate to hear exercise works. They hate to hear that I think artificial sweeteners are evil. The hate to hear that Stevia powder at the grocery store IS artificial. Maybe some day they'll believe me.
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree. They dislike the fact that I use real sugar (raw) instead of white because of the bleaching process, they don't like the fact that I don't like eating white rice vs brown or whole wheat pasta vs white.

Some of them do enjoy the fact that I'm eating cleanER that my foods are actually foods, you can read the ingredients and know what they are.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The only tips people love from me are recipes. They hate to hear exercise works. They hate to hear that I think artificial sweeteners are evil. The hate to hear that Stevia powder at the grocery store IS artificial. Maybe some day they'll believe me.

^^This!

I've found people don't want to hear that their favorite foods and beverages are bad for them, so I don't even bother discussing it anymore. If they ask me specific questions, I'm more than happy to answer them or help them research whatever it is they want to know, but I leave it at that.

It's a lot like when I lost a large portion of my weight and people would ask me how I did it. As soon as I said, "Eating less, exercising more" they would actually look disappointed... they obviously wanted to hear "I took a magic pill and the fat just melted off..."
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    all of this^^^^^

If the opportunity presents itself, I will mention how horrible diet soda is to a non-family member, but I usually reserve my "education" for my family members...My daughter (29) takes most of my advice to heart, if not in practice, but my mom and hubby refuse to believe anything they don't want to hear. My son (27) WANTS to eat more healthfully but doesn't want to actually make any changes to his diet...or do the food prep work. I'm wearing him down...lol I raised both kids on organics/healthy foods the last 4-5 years they were home and they adapted pretty well, but I'm not there to cut up fruit and prepare meals for then now...but they're trying.

I've been at this for most of my adult life but held on to the diet soda until just a few years ago. I finally got to the point where I just couldn't convince myself that it was worth it anymore and now I can't even stand the taste of it. Tastes like bubbly chemicals to me now so it's not hard to avoid.

Mostly I just try to teach by example. More than anything, I get comments and questions from the cashiers at the grocery store when they see all the healthy foods in my shopping cart. Things like "do organic fruit/veggies" taste better?