New to 5X5...but not to lifting

Options
Erod1972
Erod1972 Posts: 34 Member
Hey all,

I have been doing the SL 5X5 program for about 2 weeks. I read all the information from Medhi's site, watched the videos etc. Power lifting is not new to me. I used to train for football using a power lifting program. My strength coach was the strength coach for the men's 1984 Olympic team and a champion arm wrestler. At one point, my personal best for squats, bench, deads, were: 645, 465, 595. I have not really done those movements in a long time though. I used dumbells, smith machines, and cable crossover machine for most of my workouts. I followed the generic 1 body part per day, 5 days a week. Due to time constraints and stagnation, I was searching for new routines when I came across a thread about great routines. The SL 5X5 was recommended by many people on the thread. The rest is history.

My question is this, after reading Medhi's recommendations I have started the program at an extremely low weight for me (not as low as he suggest but still very low: Squats: 95, Bench, 95, Rows, 95, OP 55, DL, 185. The workouts are insanely easy even if I only rest 30 seconds between sets. Should I increase the starting weights to a more challenging amount say Squat: 185, Bench 185, Rows 135, OP, 95 DL 275. Or just stay on the path I am currently on. I guesstimated my 1 RM on my lifts before I started (by doing 10 and using the calculator) they were: Squat, 405, Bench 335, Row, 255, OP, 185, and DL 445.

Any constructive comments or advice (no flames) would be extremely helpful to decide how to progress.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I think the main reason he has you starting so light is to get you to practice form. The heavier you start off, the quicker your form tends to break down. Practicing over and over again with lighter weight, gives you a better "muscle memory" on proper form so that when the weight gets heavier in the weeks to come, you will keep form better.

I did basically the same as you, started off with heavier than the bar by approximating my 1RM, and like you, I was blowing through the workout. What I did, was add complimentary lifting to the program during the first few weeks and still do to some degree now that the weights, for me, are getting tough to complete my sets. Now (starting week 15 tomorrow) by the time I get through the sets with the current weight I'm doing, I do a few back off sets with lighter weight, and I've got nothing left in the tank.

If you are 100% on your form for those lifts, then I see no reason to jump ahead a little on weight. Even though I lifted some in the past, I never did squats or deadlifts, and as it turns out, was benching wrong as well, so I chose to go lighter and spend a few weeks getting my form correct with the lighter weight.
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is designed for every level of lifter from the novice to the experienced so the weights start low for the novice to be able to perfect form before getting to what their real workout weight would be. For someone that is more experienced I would suggest starting at no more than 50% of your current 1 rep max or the weight were your form/speed start to break down. The Starting Strength program has a pretty good method for determing your starting weight that you could use to determine your starting weight. Here is the method for squats and you could apply it to the other lifts as well

Starting Strength Method of determing starting weight for squats for an experienced lifter - (30 - 60 seconds between sets)

The first set of squats begins at 45 lbs (an empty barbell) and a set of five is performed. If this is completed easily with the trainee's best form, ten pounds are added to the bar for the next set. If bar speed does not slow and form does not break down, ten more pounds are added to the bar and another set is performed. This process continues until either form begins to falter or the bar speed slows more than the preceding sets, whichever comes first. This is the trainee's starting workout weight. Note: If the trainee reaches 50% of their calculated 1 rep max before their form begins to break down or the bar speed slows then the trainee should stop increasing the weight and use this weight as their starting weight for the program.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I came from a powerlifting background too. I'd taken 3 years off of lifting and I'm using 5x5 to get back into the groove of things. I started with more than the bar, but left room to progress. 13 weeks in and I just hit my 1st stall on overhead press, but bench, squats and rows are still moving along well. I quit deads last week due to a hand problem, I'm doing hang cleans for 5 sets of 3 instead and think I get a better workout from them over 1 set of deadlifts.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I haven't lifted in years before starting 5x5, I started at the bar, following the program exactly. Very tough to keep from adding weight, but I figure I am in no hurry and it doesn't hurt for form ect. I do workout at home though. Props to you guys that hit the gym and start at bar weight. Ego check for sure. :drinker:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I came from a powerlifting background too. I'd taken 3 years off of lifting and I'm using 5x5 to get back into the groove of things. I started with more than the bar, but left room to progress. 13 weeks in and I just hit my 1st stall on overhead press, but bench, squats and rows are still moving along well. I quit deads last week due to a hand problem, I'm doing hang cleans for 5 sets of 3 instead and think I get a better workout from them over 1 set of deadlifts.

I also started a bit heavier than the bar and am moving along pretty nicely, though I don't follow the Stronglifts protocol exactly. I do a 5x5 routine with three separate workouts. Squats one day, Deadlifts the next, and day 3 is a killer (front squats, close grip bench, bent over row, Romanian deadlifts.) I'm finding that I'm losing my grip on Day 3. Going to mix the order next time but stay close to my current weights there.

I like the overall ideas of Stronglifts (focus on barbell compound movements, slow and steady progress, etc but some things I don't agree with. Watching Medhi bounce up 400 lbs squats is a joke, IMO. I'm not doing squats so I can post a number, I'm doing them to get stronger. I don't pause at the bottom, but I don't bounce either. I want my muscles to carry the weight and get stronger.

As much as he says it's not about ego, through reading the site it's clear he has a pretty healthy ego.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't follow anything Medhi does. I got the program from his site and have never been back. I have enough experience that I know what I'm doing. I'm using 5x5 as a jump start, to get me back in the flow after not lifting for 3 years. Now that I'm a few months in, my strength is coming back, things feel natural again, so I'm sure that before too long I'll be branching off to the kind of training I used to do. I've always based my routines on compound lifts, even my assistance was always compound, and I'll head in that direction again in the near future.
  • Erod1972
    Erod1972 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys!

I did not start with the bar but did start lower than 50% mainly because I have a training partner (co-worker) who wanted to do it too and he is not as strong as me. So anyway we basically sped up the progress by adding 10 lbs per session on Squats, Bench, and Rows and stayed with 5 lbs on OP. We also went up 20 lbs on Dead Lifts. Things are going really well, the workouts are starting to get harder now. For the longest time we were burning through the WO's in like 20 mins. They are now closer to 30 with more rest between sets. My weights are now:

Squat: 280 5X5
    Bench: 215 5X5
    Row: 195 5X5
    OP: 115 5X5
    Dead L: 315 5X5

Definitely more room to grow, funny that when I used to do squats with the generic BB program 275 would feel heavy and I wouldn't go as low, now my hips go below parallel and they are relatively easy. Anyway I will check back in a while with more updates!

"Stay Strong!"