Big weight loss with Nrol4W?

Options
oakleaves
oakleaves Posts: 8 Member
I've read a lot of the messages here and I've read the book. I just started with the workouts.

My question is whether anyone has lost a large amount of weight by eating with a calorie deficit and using the Nrol4W workouts? This may sound like a stupid question (and it may be), but I have read many messages that say, "I haven't lost a pound but my clothes fit better!" That's great but to be honest, I want and need both.

I have worked out my calories using TDEE - 20%. I can commit to 3 weightlifting sessions a week and 2 more HIIT days. Is this a reasonable way to lose 100+ pounds?

Replies

• collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have no clue! Lol.. I am on phase 1 workout 5 a Monday and i haven't seen a difference on the scale at all ... I haven't measured my self either since starting.. I figure ours a fat loss program nit a weight loss program.. So if inches go, I'm good.
  • oakleaves
    Options
    Oh, I agree with you. I'm perfectly content to see the inches go faster than the scale. It's just that at some point, the scale has to move too! No way can I put on enough muscle to equal what the fat weighs, you know?
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I just finished the whole program, I'm two pants sizes smaller, and inches have gone down everywhere, but I weighed 133-135 when I started and 138-140 now. I look way better, clothes fit way better. But, I didn't really have much weight to lose to begin with, so my story probably really isn't the kind you're looking for. Before I started my goal was the 120's for weight, if I keep lifting, which I plan to, I don't think it'll ever happen.
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ugh. No, you don't NEED both. Throw away the scales, take measurements and before pictures. Measure your progress by how you look and feel. I know how it feels when you've been losing weight and you look forward to the euphoric high of getting on the scales and seeing a lower number each time.

With 100lbs+ to loose I would image that at a slight cal deficit and working out consistently you will PROBABLY still see the numbers go down. Fat loss mainly comes down to eating a clean diet. Sometimes numbers will go up or remain the same. THIS IS NOT BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS NOT WORKING. You're right in the respect that you can't put muscle on as quickly as you lose fat, the reason the scale sometimes goes up/stays static is mainly because with weight training your muscles hold water to repair themselves - hence the term 'water weight.'

Obviously I am a complete hypocrit as I still weigh myself :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but I've gained 1.5lbs in Stage 1 (not huge) but lost inches an look better. I don't know why I keep weighing myself but when I see it go up on stay the same I laugh because I know my clothes feel looser etc etc.

Oh and bare in mind the above is purely my take on what I've learned over the past 2-3 years.

GOOD LUCK! It's a great program!
  • oakleaves
    Options
    Ugh. No, you don't NEED both.

Yes, in fact, I do. Staying at this weight is not healthy, therefore I need to lose (not loose) pounds. I am fine if that happens more slowly while I am building muscle but eventually, I do need to lose weight also.

I assume it would happen but I am asking is whether anyone here has had experience with that. I see no reason why that deserves an "ugh" response.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm in Stage 5 and I still weigh the same. I have lost several inches though. Like an above poster wrote, I don't have many lbs to lose anymore though so that may be a factor. For what it's worth, I wish I had started lifting right when I started losing weight. I think it's an awesome skill to have. I also believe that if you really have that much weight to lose, you'll see a loss on the scale regardless of what you do as long as your eating at a deficit. Definitely give nrol4w a shot!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I did it. TDEE minus 20%. And I went back to TDEE for a couple of weeks when I needed to. I had form issues and did not push myself as much as I could have early on, and I took ALL of the rest weeks. I lost about 12 lbs (147-135) and 2 sizes. (And please be kind because I'm almost 42 and have had kids etc.) And am not really orange. Stupid cell phone.

edited to resize
    a6aaf581-6183-4ba1-8ba4-a0f260ced671_zps25cfa47a.jpg[/URL]

Also ETA I started pretty close to a "healthy" weight, so BMI- 25.2 on the left to 23.2 on the right. I think if you start from a higher BMI your results would be more dramatic.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Fear not! I'm just starting stage 4 and I have seen weight loss, but it's slow. I've stuck to the 40/30/30 macros and a 500 cal/day deficit and so far I've lost 17lbs. Given that I was used to losing 2-3lbs per week (crazy amounts of cardio) it seems like I'm never going to reach my goal, but the way my body looks now is way better. I'm tighter and stronger and I feel awesome. I still have 35lbs to goal and I know it's going to take some time, but I'll be so much happier with my body when I get there. So I guess what I'm saying is, hang in there you'll be happier in the long run if you do!
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ugh. No, you don't NEED both.

Yes, in fact, I do. Staying at this weight is not healthy, therefore I need to lose (not loose) pounds. I am fine if that happens more slowly while I am building muscle but eventually, I do need to lose weight also.

I assume it would happen but I am asking is whether anyone here has had experience with that. I see no reason why that deserves an "ugh" response.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you (in fact my intention was the complete opposite)! My personal opinion is that we are not defined by a number on the scale and I've seen plenty of people who have gained weight with this program but looked better. And like I went onto say, you will probably see losses and that's great but just because you aren't doesn't mean it's not working!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You gotta see yourself as being in it for the long haul. Your goal of TDEE-20% sounds very reasonable provided your macros are good and that you're logging every. single. morsel. Also, try to increase your general activities (e.g. walking, gardening, etc.) as well as doing the program. And remember that 80% of the battle is your diet.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I did it. TDEE minus 20%. And I went back to TDEE for a couple of weeks when I needed to. I had form issues and did not push myself as much as I could have early on, and I took ALL of the rest weeks. I lost about 12 lbs (147-135) and 2 sizes. (And please be kind because I'm almost 42 and have had kids etc.) And am not really orange. Stupid cell phone.

edited to resize
    a6aaf581-6183-4ba1-8ba4-a0f260ced671_zps25cfa47a.jpg[/URL]

Also ETA I started pretty close to a "healthy" weight, so BMI- 25.2 on the left to 23.2 on the right. I think if you start from a higher BMI your results would be more dramatic.

You look fantastic. great job.
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    With a lot of weight to lose, I would imagine that any increase in physical activity is going to contribute to weight loss. Based on what the book says, lifting with a caloric deficit might not help you build a lot of muscle, because the ideas are conflicting. However, I'm sure it would help ensure that your weight loss is mostly fat loss with muscle maintenance.

Combine with some light cardio on your off days and I'm sure you will see wonderful results. :)
  • oakleaves
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! This helps more than you know. I am off to the gym now for a cardio day so it is good motivation.

Heather, you look incredible for a 25 year old, nevermind a 41 year old. (We are the same age!)
    Becca, I agree with you completely on the scale thing. As long as I lose weight and make it to a healthy range, I don't care about the number.
    Bekktosh, I am definitely giving it a try.
    Camgirk, I am logging everything, I promise. Eating better is funny. Sometimes I do struggle to eat enough. Of course I can do it if I am eating junk but with good food, it is tougher.
    Tessa, those are amazing results. I am hoping that by lifting and doing cardio, I can maximize my fat loss at least at first.

Thanks, again. I really appreciate it.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Heather, you look incredible for a 25 year old, nevermind a 41 year old. (We are the same age!)

Camgirk, I am logging everything, I promise. Eating better is funny. Sometimes I do struggle to eat enough. Of course I can do it if I am eating junk but with good food, it is tougher.
    Thanks, again. I really appreciate it.

I second the fact that you look great Heather!

Yes, eating healthier does make it harder to get your calories in oakleaves...I am trying to do the 5 small meals a day thing but I am usually struggling to get my snacks in because the extra protein in my breakfast and lunch keep me full way longer than the junk I used to eat!

I just started so I can't say anything as far as actual weight loss I can say that just being into my 3rd week of the program I already feel a ton better and I have lost 3 pounds but not sure about inches because I haven't been brave enough to measure myself yet this early on :-/
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the people who say the scale hasn't moved much but I've seen a huge difference. And that's because the first 15 pounds lost didn't make a lick of difference in how my clothing looked or fit, probably because I had/have a lot to lose.

I am 20 pounds into a (hopefully!) 50-pound weight loss. I lost the first 10 pounds over 2 months of logging food on MFP with a deficit and C25K. After that, I discovered NROL4W and have continued the same trend of losing around 5 pounds a month. BUT, it was only the most recent 5 pounds that made me drop 2 sizes. Until then, it was just weight loss without any noticeable difference.

I would've thought I needed to be another *15 pounds* lighter than I am to be wearing the sizes I'm wearing now (plural because tops are a different size than bottoms). I'm dumbfounded, but I'll take it! The scale tricked me, because last time I was this exact same weight, I was wearing larger sizes.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    My results have been very similar to what others have posted. I lost 14 lbs doing the program and I wasn't really that careful with my diet (probably averaged a 10% deficit- there were times when I was just eating at maintenance and times I had a 20% deficit). I lost two sizes- 3-4" from my waist, 3" from the hips. I had 40lbs to lose when I started.

Fat loss is about CALORIC DEFICIT. The weight training just helps you preserve muscle mass while you shed the fat. I'm sure you will get amazing results if you stick with your plan.

Heather, you look amazing!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    LOVE you ladies! :flowerforyou:
  • HSMyTwins
    HSMyTwins Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing.

I'm in Stage 3. I'm getting stronger (and that's FUN!) I've been eating at TDEE - 20%.

BUT - I've gained 11 pounds!! Not at all the direction someone of my size needs to be going.

I'm not sure what this means or how to correct it.

I do like the lifting program. I feel great. But I am seriously overweight and need to see some downward progress on the scale.
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just started stage 1 and I want to lose another 30 pounds so I'm hoping my weight will also track downwards over time.
    4 months ago I signed up here for 1 lb/wk weight loss (500 cal deficit) and I'm eating all my exercise cals back. I'm really happy with the results so far so I didn't want to change up too much ... but I think with this program (or any heavy lifting workouts) it is really important to get as much protein as you can so I have switched to 0.5 lb/wk and a 250 cal/day deficit which is more in line with the book (they recommend no more than 300 cal deficit). I'm definitely willing to watch the mirror rather than the scale for a while.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    OK,

I think I am ready to start lifting again, it's been years, but I loved it back then! I am pushing 40 now, and I am pretty over weight, but carry it fairly well due to my height. I don't think most people would guess that I am over 200#! I've lost 21# so far with dieting & moderate exercise, and I can tell I have lost inches as well due to clothes fitting better etc.. I pretty much HATE the scale and have all but thrown it out the window! I am focusing more on how I feel, and measurement's for now, though I do also feel I am going to have to shed some serious pounds at some point, and I am ok with it coming off slowly so long as I am getting leaner/tone and stronger!

I SIT ALL DAY at work so I try to stay under 1500 calories on non workout days, and upwards of 2000 for workout days. I am not a super clean eater, but do pretty well during the week, and weekends just adding in my beer for the most part, as I quit drinking it on week days. Can some one clue me in on the whole macro's thing? Should I stick with my current caloric intakes or make some adjustments. Thanks in advance!