Cleaning out the cuboards!

Options
Tme2change
Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
My husband is going on a camping trip this weekend and not that I'm trying to be sneaky or anything. However but I'm cleaning out the cuboards, I'm going to strip them bare of most of the processed goods and donate them the to local food pantry and start over and get clean hopefully between 80-90% in the house and stay that way.
Just thought I would let everyone know putting a new foot forward after a long weekend that was rough. I'm starting over on my journey.

Replies

• carrie3083
    carrie3083 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. I am pretty sure the Stamp out Hunger program is this week or next week. Just put a bag of non perishables by the mailbox and the food will be donated. So easy. I had to remove all the candy from my house in February. Then I dumped out all the diet soda. I would love to get rid of anything in a box but I have three kids so I try to get them just the better quality snacks. Good luck!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Love it. Sometime they don't need to be home to make the comments we'd like to make ourselves. Like don't throw that away it cost money. Don't throw that away we'll eat it sparingly. When you're strong just go for it.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Woot Woot! Love a good cupboard makeover/takeover! What's your plan for restocking? Do you have good "replacements" to try out for the items you think your hubby will miss the most??

I think with my children I thought that cereal would be the hard sell. But Simple Truth ( Kroger's organic brand), and cascadian farms and enviro kids make some really good and tasty cereals! With ingredients labels with under 10 easy to identify ingredients to boot!
  • Tme2change
    Options
    Woot Woot! Love a good cupboard makeover/takeover! What's your plan for restocking? Do you have good "replacements" to try out for the items you think your hubby will miss the most??

I think with my children I thought that cereal would be the hard sell. But Simple Truth ( Kroger's organic brand), and cascadian farms and enviro kids make some really good and tasty cereals! With ingredients labels with under 10 easy to identify ingredients to boot!
    restocking I'm going to try and come up with something comparable to toaster scramblers...(son's favorite currently)...cereals I'm looking at Mom's Best (we don't have a Kroger, however Hannaford would be the next best thing and commissary is limited on organics) Fruit snacks are going to be missed however, Annies are good (but expensive so if anyone can give me any pointers) and the cliff fruit strings
    other than that we really don't house alot of junk just not "clean"
  • Tme2change
    Options
    Love it. Sometime they don't need to be home to make the comments we'd like to make ourselves. Like don't throw that away it cost money. Don't throw that away we'll eat it sparingly. When you're strong just go for it.
    Thankfully the food bank is taking donations by the truck loads this weekend :) got a bag in the mail yesterday so the cupboards won't nessicarily be bare but they'll be cleanER.
  • Tme2change
    Options
    OMGoodness! I will have to look at the link when I get home...I'm at work so I don't want to open it but thanks so much!
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Great plan! They key word being "plan"! Plan your meals, plan your shopping, plan your cooking and do lots of prep work like washing fruits and veggies and cutting them up so they are ready to eat when the need is there. The kids will grab what's easy, so have snack sized bags of grapes and carrots in the fridge for quick bag lunches and after school snacks. Same thing with breakfasts. Make a big pan of baked oatmeal for breakfast...yummy and healthy! I make big pots of chicken and rice soup and turkey vegetable chili and freeze them in single servings so I always have a "frozen dinner" if I'm not up to cooking. SO MUCH CHEAPER and again..yummy! I like being able to control all of my ingredients.

Congrats and best of luck! Add me if you want/need more friends.

Lib