I've realised sometimes I WANT to zone out

Chocoholic55555
Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
I've spent so much time recently trying not to eat unconsciously, zone out and binge, but today I realised something;

When I'm sad and upset, I want to zone out, I actually crave it. It's how I'm feeling now. I want to block it ll out with a binge.

I'm struggling today.

Replies

• dladisheff
    dladisheff Posts: 43
    I understand your feelings.....I often want to zone out while I'm bingeing as well. We're supposed to to meet the need of the emotion that we're feeling, but, what do you do with sadness besides sit with it and feel it? And that can be painful.

I'll pray you find the strength to just be with your sadness without using food to numb it....I know it is very, very hard.

Donna L.~
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Me too. I find it's sneaky though, like I get numb subconsciously first, then I eat because my logical alert mind it not functioning. Getting on here and logging as I eat sometimes helps. Not always. And I'm not always willing to stop and do it.
  • marigold85
    marigold85 Posts: 5 Member
    I completely understand! I've become conscious of wanting to go unconscious and food is definitely my go-to.

Can you achieve zoning out with something other than food? I try to watch a TV show or movie. I find watching in bed is less likely to lead to snacking, as opposed to in the living on the couch (with the kitchen in full view). Or looking at websites you like online? I browse Pinterest and Gawker/Slate/Jezebel. Or lounging with a magazine. I think my mind can wander more to my anxieties with these activities than it does with food, but they are good alternatives.