losing weight causing menopause symptoms

Options
baileysmom4
baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
I went to my yearly exam the other day and told the doctor since I've lost 25 pounds, I've started having hot flashes, along with hair loss, loss of libido, crabby, etc. She said that we hold estrogen in our fat cells and losing weight makes us lose that estrogen. Anyone heard of this or experienced it? I"m 48 so know I'm getting close as my mom went thru it young. I'm about ready to start gaining weight so it all stops! LOL

Replies

• hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard this. I am post surgical menopause for 2 years now. I have been on a rollercoaster ride since 6 months after the surgery. I have recently lost 17 pounds and am only now experiencing night sweats again. Not sure if it is related or just the fact that the weather is warming up a little and a slight increase in body temperature can trigger hot flashes for me at night. Isn't this a fun time!! I hope you find the answers you need. I would think this is a possibility though.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is definitely true. Fat cells DO produce estrogen. In fact, in post-menopausal women fat is the main source of estrogen production. (The liver, breast tissue and adrenal glands also produce some estrogen.) The "good" news is that by losing the weight you may have also decreased your risk of breast cancer!

As for the hot flashes, I would suggest you try about 1 TBSP. of ground flax seed each day. It's the only thing that has helped me keep the estrogen/body weight issues in balance, at least enough to keep the hot flashes at a manageable level.

Good luck!!!
  • baileysmom4
    Options
    This has sure burst my bubble of excitement! I remember the last time I lost a lot of weight and how delireously happy I was. Now this time around I'm just crabby as hell! LOL If its not one thing its another!
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true but you can help yourself by eating more phytoestrogens (vegetable oestrogens) such as soya, lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, peas, garlic,celery, seeds (especially linseed, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame), grains (rice,wheat etc), fruit like apples, plums, cherries, citrus, vegetables like broccoli, carrots, rhubarb, potatoes...the list is endless. I already ate many of these.

I'm 1 year post surgical menopause, and I made a point of reading up on all this before my operation. I found a particularly good book in "Healthy eating for the menopause" by Dr Marilyn Glenville. I've lost 25lbs in the past year. I have occasional mild hot flushes, where I don't sweat but just feel warm, and no other obvious menopausal symptoms.

Hope this give you a little hope back :flowerforyou:
  • baileysmom4
    Options
    I eat all kinds of good stuff for me. Just hoping it subsides after awhile. I cannot do soy though. I feel like a duck quacking (farting) when I eat soy! LOL