Other C25K Benefits Beside Fitness

Options
sunshinestater
sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
Obviously the big benefit of C25K is improved fitness and the ability to run a 5K race, but this morning I found another benefit. I live in FL and we have many little areas of wetlands in my neighborhood. I took a boardwalk along the lake this morning and saw the cutest otter! I always see lots of birds, and often a gator, but this was my first otter sighting. I tried to take a photo, but I was still walking in place when I stopped to get my phone and he thought I was nuts so he fled. Has anyone else had intangible benefits from this program?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am building an awesome tee-shirt wardrobe from all my races. Does that count?

Oh...and jealous coworkers.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My daughter tells my husband that "Mommy is fast" and "Mommy is strong" regularly.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    After 8 years living here I get to see all new neighbourhoods, little farms in the middle of the fields, horseriding pathes etc.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options

That's so cool. I'm excited about starting my own t-shirt collection later this year when I start the 5Ks. It will be tangible evidence that I conquered my old enemy: Running.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    One for my daughter (she's 9), last year she won the standing long jump with 96cm, she was practising in the garden yesterday and jumped 143cm!
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I just sent mine out to have them turned into a quilt. I have wayyyy too many!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My daughter tells my husband that "Mommy is fast" and "Mommy is strong" regularly.

Love this!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I remembered that I can do things I put my mind to. Especially if I have a plan.
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am finding that my mental toughness is improving. I am pushing through barriers in my mind that I thought were pretty solid - all those lazy thoughts and self doubting thoughts. Also finding the skill to be able to blank out in my mind and not feel the pain, just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    - Finding courses posted on websites to see parts of the city you find yourself in: architecture, landscaping, parks, business parks...
    - Realizing others work (steep) hills into their runs and they aren't that bad once you start working them into your training runs.