Strange BG readings (new test strips)

Options
iggyboo93
iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
I have been using a ReliOn meter for a couple of years - haven't tested regularly until recently when I got a high A1C number (7.1). My fasting AM BG was 88-100 usually and I would test through out the day and got numbers that reflected my carb intake. Just got a new batch of test strips. The first fasting AM test on this resulted in a 200 reading. The rest of the readings have been over 200. Prior to this, I would only go over 240 after a high carb meal and testing 1 hour afterwards. Now I'm 200 to 240 on every reading with the new strips. I'm going to get a second meter to double check - also I'm going to get the A1C test kit to check - I've been watching my carbs more closely in the past 2 months. The thing that worries me is that what if the previous testing was all wrong? None of the test strips weren't expired. Your thoughts?

Replies

• nvstlrgrl
    nvstlrgrl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It could be the meter or the test strips. I have more than one meter and at least once a month check my sugar on both at the same time to check for accuracy. Many years ago when I was pregnant the meter I had was reading high by at least 15-20 and I didn't realize it at the time. After that I started double checking. Especially concerning when you have a number of 70 and it is really 50.

If it were me I would double check the meter and using 2 meters and the same bottle of test strips then again using a different bottle of test strips.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Since your previous readings tended to match your carb intake I would agree with you that it is more likely the strips. I would wait and see how the other meter reads - or do you have another pack of strips you can open and try?
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Have you used a control solution?
  • iggyboo93
    Options
    Control solution? I will look into this. Am going to the pharmacy this evening. Thanks so much for all your help!
  • iggyboo93
    Options
    The problem was bad strips. I tested in the AM before eating (213) and then drank a coffee with 2 tsp sugar and half/half testing 1/2 hour later (223). Normally if I eat some sugar or even one hershey's kiss, my BG would shoot up 40-80 points. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Glad you figured out what was going on. There are so many strange factors with diabetes, you don't need bad strips! :noway: