Best program to increase bench

Options
ahmadfahmy
ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
Ive been running 5/3/1 for several months and my bench has been fairly constant for the past couple cycles of 5/3/1..ive done everything from increase calories, change grip (from wide to regular), deload and start all over but i still get stuck at the same point. I am able to increase my calculated max (increased reps) but it doesnt carry over when i actually try to lift a 1RM. Anyone here do westside, sheiko or smolov jr for bench with positive results?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I suck at bench too so take with a grain of salt :tongue:

I think after your noob gains you need to find what works best for you. That may mean experimenting with a few different programs that vary intensity, load, frequency and volume. Typically the more frequency (with enough recovery) "should" help to increase it so something like smolov jnr with 4x a week (if your shoulders can handle it) or sheiko (I'm doing 37 now and is 3x a week) would be a good idea.

Sheiko is much lower intensity but the accumulated fatigue certainly builds up IMO.

Will be able to tell you how well it has worked for me in about 2 weeks when I do skills test for 32. Hoping to beat current PB of 105kg (82.5kg BW).
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I normally follow 5/3/1 as well. I took a month off though to follow the 200-50 program (200 push-ups/50 chin-ups a day, 6 days a week for 4 weeks. It was really kicking my *kitten* the first week. I'm in my second week and I'm already able to more reps per set for both push-ups and chin-ups. I'm hoping this will translate well to my bench. I'll keep you posted.

Also when I bench, I do it the Gironda way (made famous by Vince "the iron guru" Gironda. Basically you bring the bar down to the base of your neck rather then to your chest. There are videos of it on youtube. It may help you with your bench.
  • razziopharm
    Options
    it makes a difference WHERE you are stalling: you can't unrack it? you can't unlock at the end of the movement? you cant bump it off your chest? if you could tell us about that, i might be able to help...
  • mrdjmo
    mrdjmo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use 5x5 for the main lifts has worked a charm for me in 5months gone from 60kg bench to 110kg bench 5x5.

Might be worth a go increase your weight every week by at least 2kg.
  • ahmadfahmy
    Options
    it makes a difference WHERE you are stalling: you can't unrack it? you can't unlock at the end of the movement? you cant bump it off your chest? if you could tell us about that, i might be able to help...

The hardest part is the lift-off...i feel like i lose all my tightness (if that makes sense) after i lift off the weight. I've been working my shoulders and upper back more recently and they've been making steady progress but bench remains the same.
  • ahmadfahmy
    Options
    I use 5x5 for the main lifts has worked a charm for me in 5months gone from 60kg bench to 110kg bench 5x5.

Might be worth a go increase your weight every week by at least 2kg.

Well, 5/3/1 has a much slower progression rate (every month the weight will increase by 5-10lbs , however you try to break rep plateau's every week) and i feel like the program gets difficult in due time. I'm also eating at a caloric deficit and 5x5 (like madcow) looks way too intense for a cut.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    don't know if I just had an off day but I just lost 10kg on my bench :( 105kg previous PB, now 95kg.

I've got a bit over 3 weeks until comp so going to run smolov jnr.
  • ahmadfahmy
    Options
    don't know if I just had an off day but I just lost 10kg on my bench :( 105kg previous PB, now 95kg.

sounds like a plan..i've been off of everything (diet and gym) for 2 weeks because ive just been so busy but im going back on everything this weekend. I think it'll be a perfect time to try something new. How did your last Sheiko cycle work for you?
  • chrisdavey
    Options

sounds like a plan..i've been off of everything (diet and gym) for 2 weeks because ive just been so busy but im going back on everything this weekend. I think it'll be a perfect time to try something new. How did your last Sheiko cycle work for you?

badly. that was it, 10kg loss. But could have just been a bad day. Alternatively, I may need higher %'s to keep/increase my strenght for bench.

It has worked well for squats though and testing deadlifts today or tomorrow.

Sheiko 37, one month only.
  • b_am6
    b_am6 Posts: 18
    Options
    Some good bench programs that worked for me:

1) Smolov Jr. Bench routine
    2) Ed Coan Bench routine
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    So I am in my final week of the 200-50 program. When I first started I could do 5 chin-ups with a wide oh grip, and 25 push-ups military-style. Now I am up to 12 chin-ups and 50 push-ups. Not bad. Hope it translates to my bench. We will see...
    I normally follow 5/3/1 as well. I took a month off though to follow the 200-50 program (200 push-ups/50 chin-ups a day, 6 days a week for 4 weeks. It was really kicking my *kitten* the first week. I'm in my second week and I'm already able to more reps per set for both push-ups and chin-ups. I'm hoping this will translate well to my bench. I'll keep you posted.

Also when I bench, I do it the Gironda way (made famous by Vince "the iron guru" Gironda. Basically you bring the bar down to the base of your neck rather then to your chest. There are videos of it on youtube. It may help you with your bench.
  • ahmadfahmy
    Options
    So, after my 2 week break I went back in to test my 1 RM and its exactly the same....so I'm going to give Smolov Jr a try starting Tuesday. My friend mentioned that the bar look like it was moving around too much and I may need to work on my stabilizers..I added facepulls to my shoulder days (moderate weight/high reps) but what else should I do? I cant think of anything other than doing high rowing movements...
  • ahmadfahmy
    Options
    So I am in my final week of the 200-50 program. When I first started I could do 5 chin-ups with a wide oh grip, and 25 push-ups military-style. Now I am up to 12 chin-ups and 50 push-ups. Not bad. Hope it translates to my bench. We will see...

Awesome progress...let me know if it carries over to your bench
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    So, after my 2 week break I went back in to test my 1 RM and its exactly the same....so I'm going to give Smolov Jr a try starting Tuesday. My friend mentioned that the bar look like it was moving around too much and I may need to work on my stabilizers..I added facepulls to my shoulder days (moderate weight/high reps) but what else should I do? I cant think of anything other than doing high rowing movements...

db reverse flys
    v bar rows
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can vouch for sheiko re increasing bench.
    its the ONLY thing that has worked for me.

for interests sake i upped my percentages for bench and its working a treat. IE my true 1rm was 105kg, but i've set my current program to 115kg. working well. have a comp in 2 weeks and more than expect to hit 115. hit 105 for a triple just this night.

So i can see Smolov working great too, infact i'm probably lifting with an intensity closer to smolov.

But in saying all that....if your bench in plateuing while benching once per week, first i would add a second session. then from there i would add volume. Say 1 extra set per session at first. IMO you want to make the most progress you can without stressing your joints more than you have to.

for lesser experienced guys smolov or sheiko will destroy you, or part of you. :p
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I just did one cycle of 5/3/1 and tested my 1 rep max on bench press. It was exactly the same as it was when I started the cycle. I used the assistance exercise version of 5/3/1 where you do three sets of incline bench after flat bench. I did it three days a week.

I have been dieting pretty hard though, and dieting isn't conducive to gaining muscle and strength but the opposite.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I just did one cycle of 5/3/1 and tested my 1 rep max on bench press. It was exactly the same as it was when I started the cycle. I used the assistance exercise version of 5/3/1 where you do three sets of incline bench after flat bench. I did it three days a week.

I have been dieting pretty hard though, and dieting isn't conducive to gaining muscle and strength but the opposite.

Depending on your training experience, I wouldn't expect one month of 5/3/1 to increase bench. Maybe if you have less than 6 months of consistent training you could. It takes a few months to get to actual maxes again. It's just not a lot of volume or frequency for more experienced lifters IMO.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options
    What about integrating Smolov Jr. into 5/3/1?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    how long have you been training?

What is your current max and body weight?

Will be able to give much better advice with this info.
  • Mrsallypants
    Options
    Bench 230lbs max at 180lbs of bodyweight.

I've been training off and on for 5 years. My last longest session was a year using Stronglifts until I plateaued with 3x5, then I stopped for four months, lost a lot of strength, the returned three months ago. It took about two months of training to reach old max, but a month of 5/3/1 hasn't set a new PR.

I was thinking of doing the BBB version of 5/3/1 four days a week with a 250 calorie increase over maintenance.