Best program to increase bench

Options
2»

Replies

• ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bench 230lbs max at 180lbs of bodyweight.

I've been training off and on for 5 years. My last longest session was a year using Stronglifts until I plateaued with 3x5, then I stopped for four months, lost a lot of strength, the returned three months ago. It took about two months of training to reach old max, but a month of 5/3/1 hasn't set a new PR.

I was thinking of doing the BBB version of 5/3/1 four days a week with a 250 calorie increase over maintenance.

Im still using 5/3/1 BBB template and i finally broke through my plateau. I changed a few things:

1. Changed my assistance work to high rep rowing movements, high rep lat pull downs, and chest flys (before i was just doing flat bench, incline dumbbell and pulldowns/rows)
    2. Learn to unrack the bar without losing my form (before i would raise the bar too high and ruin my setup..i learned to 'slide' the bar out instead)

Good luck!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Seems like if you want to get better at a movement, do the same movement over and over.

The bros at the gym bench press every workout, but that is about all they do. Some can press some pretty heavy weight, and even have twig arms and chest doing it. Bench press is their strongest lift because it's one of their only lifts, not only that but they bench press with frequency.

But it is interesting to see the bros start to add rotators cuff exercises after bench pressing for a while in an attempt to rehabilitate their shoulders. haha
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Did Smolov Jr. and added 20lbs onto my bench press in one month.

Did 5/3/1 BBB again for one month and didn't progress any as before.
  • bmason67
    Options
    A weightlifting partner told me building your triceps will also help increase your bench, I started working tri’s twice a week on non- bench days and made gains on bench max.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I've been working on a good back arch, keeping my chest out, digging in the shoulder blades and firmly planting my feet. I've noticed when I keep my entire lower body tight and time my lift off like this (push from feet ->butt->back->chest) I can really get a good pop off the bottom for the first 5-6 inches. From there if I've keep the speed up, I can push though to the top.

My previous best was 225lbs. But I've been able to get 235lbs. I tried 240lbs but I couldn't do it w/o a spot.

For me, my PB has gone up when was able to rep 185lbs (aro 78% of max) for 2-3 sets of 8. Before I was only able to do that weight for 1 set of 5. The worked up to 1 set of 8, then 2 sets of 8 then 3 sets of 8.

Last night I decided to up the 8 rep weight in order to gain some strength. I loaded the bar with 215lbs and was only expecting 1-2 sets of 4-5 reps. But I ended up doing 2 sets of 7 w/o any assistance. For me, that's a big improvement from before. So I don't know what to do. Try for sets of 8 at 215lbs. Or maybe try for 3-4 reps at 225lbs. In the past, the best I could do with 225lbs is 1-2 reps unassisted. I'm not sure if it's better to improve the 215 rep weight or go up to 220-225lbs for 2-3 or 3-4. Then try to hit the 240-245 lbs after a month or so.

BTW. I've also been doing weight dips. Best so far is 55lbs at 10 reps. Or 65lbs for 6-8.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    for outright strength the higher weight lower rep ranges will be more beneficial. But if you limiting factor is something like weak pecs or weak triceps then the lower weight with additional weight will stimulate more hypertrophy which could also benefit. So it is a "it depends" sort of thing.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I've tried higher weights with lower reps and saw decent gains for about 2 months or so. Every once in a while, I go back to higher reps and lower the weights. If I can obtain a higher weight at the 8 rep stage, that tells me I can try a higher low rep weight.

Right or wrong, that seems to be the way it works for me
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    if it works, don't change it! :smile:
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm at a bit of a plateau at 280 lbs (raw with belt, all the way to chest) at the moment. I've been really hoping to get up to 300 lbs raw before I turn 51 and don't know if I'll make it running these calorie deficits. I think I've got at least another 10-15 pounds that I can increase just through technique. The issue I think is getting used to the groove at that weight and staying tight. In addition, when I stay tight enough to get it off my chest I tend to stall just before my triceps kick in, which I figure is inadequate speed off the bottom. Finally, the bar is sometimes traveling out of grove up towards my head (which means my triceps are weak).

To deal with this, I've been doing the following:

- Staying tight. I've been doing lockouts (upper partials) with super-maximal weights.
    - Stall point. Speed bench @ 50% 1 RM for 10 sets of 3.
    - Triceps. Banded speed bench (135 lbs at the bottom and ~315 at the top) and weighted dips. Currently doing dips for 4 sets of 10 with 55 lbs suspended from my waist and am about ready to go up to 70.

It's too early to tell whether this remedy will get me there, but it should be close. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Was able to lift 225lbs for 3 unassisted yesterday. Best before was only 1 clean lift.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm at a bit of a plateau at 280 lbs (raw with belt, all the way to chest) at the moment. I've been really hoping to get up to 300 lbs raw before I turn 51 and don't know if I'll make it running these calorie deficits. I think I've got at least another 10-15 pounds that I can increase just through technique. The issue I think is getting used to the groove at that weight and staying tight. In addition, when I stay tight enough to get it off my chest I tend to stall just before my triceps kick in, which I figure is inadequate speed off the bottom. Finally, the bar is sometimes traveling out of grove up towards my head (which means my triceps are weak).

To deal with this, I've been doing the following:

- Staying tight. I've been doing lockouts (upper partials) with super-maximal weights.
    - Stall point. Speed bench @ 50% 1 RM for 10 sets of 3.
    - Triceps. Banded speed bench (135 lbs at the bottom and ~315 at the top) and weighted dips. Currently doing dips for 4 sets of 10 with 55 lbs suspended from my waist and am about ready to go up to 70.

It's too early to tell whether this remedy will get me there, but it should be close. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing.

I recently dieted down and maintained my strength fairly well but after I stopped dieting I wound up dropping like another 10+lbs. And then my strength really hit the ****ter. It is tough gaining strength in a calorie deficit. For a while you may make progress but I know for myself, eventually nothing matters and there is no avoiding the strength losses that inevitably come. It is a tough blow mentally and psychologically for me. I have my work cut out for me to get my strength but up to where it was and beyond. But I'm up for the challenge. 280lbs is a strong press, nice work! Even if you don't hit your 300lb goal this time around, your next bulk just get after it harder than ever until you hit the goal.

You mentioned stalling out..Are you stalling out in the lower portion of your press? If so why not do partials in the area you are weakest? I think partials can be very beneficial but I never have success with limiting partials to just the lockout. That is where we are usually strongest. It is typically the initial upward phase where we stall out and are limited. One method I have used with great success is to do partials but you don't just do partials. It is the theory of maximum fatigue or you can call it isometronic pressing. You break down your press into 3 equal parts. Say the chest to about 6" off it, the midd portion, and lockout. Do partials in each phase. Use heavier weight..3-5 rep range. Set up some safety pins about 6" above your chest and set up the bar right off your chest basically. If you can handle 5 reps then do 5 reps pressing the bar up into the safety bars and back down to your chest. You are basically doing dead stop presses here in a partial ROM. On rep 4 when you press up into the safety pins, push the bar against the safety pins for 6 seconds as hard as you can (isometrically) and then lower the weight and try for one more rep to complete the set of 5. Do this in each of the 3 phases. It is most effective when you do this one day and then conventional pressing another day if your goal is to increase your conventional press. It is extremely intense and it can help you get past plateaus. Though at a calorie deficit, you may have to accept that strength gains may not come despite your best efforts.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Was able to eek out another 225lb bench for a 2 clean and 1 with a spot but the guy shouldn't have. I had it.

This is while super setting with pull ups in between sets. (sets of clean/fast 5 counts).