Protein requirements at maintenance

Options
bumblebums
bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
I reached my goal weight/body fat percentage a couple of months ago, and I am currently interested mostly in gaining strength. Not huge amounts of strength--I am not that ambitious--but the standard "bench 90%, squat 150%, DL 180% of body weight" sort of strength would be nice. Oh, and five unassisted pull-ups. (I am female, by the way). My usual exercise routine day by day is lift-run-lift-run-lift, rest day, repeat. When I run, it is usually a 5k, which takes me 30 minutes.

Anyway, I have gotten used to eating 120 g of protein while I was eating at a deficit. It wasn't easy--I am not used to eating that much protein. So I wouldn't mind reducing my protein intake. But to what? Advice on protein intake is all over the place, with body builders recommending amounts of as much as 2 g per lb of body weight, and the RDA is of course 0.8 g per kg of body weight. Athletes get different recommendations depending on activity type, ranging from 1.2 to 1.8 g per kilo of body weight (from the sources I've seen, anyway).

Okay, with all this in mind, here is my question. I would like to eat about 85 g of protein a day--that's 1.2 g per kg of body weight for me (I weigh 148 lb). Should I expect performance or lean body mass losses at this intake?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What is your current estimated BF%?

Is your running endurance or is it relatively short distances?
  • bumblebums
    Options
    What is your current estimated BF%?

Is your running endurance or is it relatively short distances?

BF is low 20's--the calculators give me between 22% and 25%, and my eyeballs agree. [edit: the Military BF calc gives me 22%.]

I don't run for endurance. I am more of a sprinter naturally, so I stick to shorter distances and relatively faster speeds. 3 miles at a time is my norm.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The research indicates that a range of 1.2g/kg to 1.5g/kg is adequate for individuals eating at maintenance. However, the leaner you are, the more towards the higher end you should go. So, as your BF% indicates you are relatively lean, I would err on the side of caution if I were you and try to get the 1.5g/kg, which for you would be approx. 100g.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    The research indicates that a range of 1.2g/kg to 1.5g/kg is adequate for individuals eating at maintenance. However, the leaner you are, the more towards the higher end you should go. So, as your BF% indicates you are relatively lean, I would err on the side of caution if I were you and try to get the 1.5g/kg, which for you would be approx. 100g.

I can handle 100 g a day. Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Just a quick clarification in case anyone else reads this - those numbers are for people who exercise, but do not do endurance workouts. I 'picked' the range appropriate for your activity. Endurance athletes usually need a bit more and sedentary people a bit less.

Locking thread to keep track of active ones easier. Please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel to re-open should you wish to make further posts on this thread. Please include the link if you PM to have it opened.
This discussion has been closed.