Thyroid Meds + Hangovers

Options
ekztawas
ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
I know it's probably bad that I take Levothyroxine and have a drink, but I'm a Minnesotan and I like my beer. What I find is that 1) I get drunk way faster than most people. Like, I have 3 beers and I'm donezo. 2) my hangovers are AWFUL, even if I only had a few beers during the course of a few hours. My hangovers normally involve a migraine and puking well into the afternoon.

Have you stopped drinking all together? If you still drink, are your hangovers awful? I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this. Is there a connection between thyroid medication and the severity of a hangover?

Replies

• patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I never have issues with drinking and I was a big drinker in college. I still drink socially on the weekends and I only have hangovers when I mix my liquors. I do find that when I do get a hangover that it lasts longer than it used to but I think that is just my age and has nothing to do with my thyroid. Have you always been this way or did it start when you began taking your medication?
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with it. Are you sure it's your meds?
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    For me, personally, I avoid hangovers by always making sure I have a decent amount of protein before I drink, drink a big glass of water before any alcohol, and then am absolutely sure to drink at least 1 big glass of water while I'm drinking my alcoholic drink. (Or, drink the full glass of water before ordering another alcoholic drink.) Sure, I get familiar with the restroom, but my body is so much happier the next day. :)
  • tokataro
    tokataro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the meds either, I did not notice a change in my tolerance when I started medication. If you want to get from sober to donezo more slowly, spacing your drinks out with food and water is a good plan. Preferably lower calorie foods... hard pretzels aren't too terrible, and they go well with beer :)
  • cjaaron
    cjaaron Posts: 20
    Options
    Thyroid and other autoimmune problems go hand in hand. Check out Gluten allergy symptoms, you might be reacting to the gluten in beer.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've found I feel worse when I drink beer than any other drink. Which I don't think is anything to do with my thyroid, just seems to be the case. And I've ALWAYS been a migrainey/pukey hangover person if I go over my limits. So I now NEVER drink on a empty stomach and I try and have a small glass of milk to settle my stomach before bed.
  • Becca_Reb
    Becca_Reb Posts: 11
    Options
    I've had my hypothyroidism since birth but never really had an issue with hangovers even when I used to drink a lot! Don't tend to drink anymore and never bothered with beer xx
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't think its the meds either. I do not experience any difference in how my body reacts to alcohol and I take several different meds for other issues along with my Synthroid.