how much cardio?

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
I have read that lifting heavy is key to eating more and losing, and I see a lot of ladies especially that don't do tons of cardio.

I run/walk about 45 min 2x and do other cardio 3x a week. My lifting isn't super long, usually 3x focusing on 3-4 big exercises rather than a big of isolation ones.

So how much is too much? My family has a history of heart problems and I dont want to go down that road. My mom died at 56 from septic shock and multiple heart attacks, and her brother died at 55 in his sleep. No cause of death yet, but he was seemingly healthy and ate well.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Actually, lifting doesn't raise your TDEE as much as cardio does, it's not key to eating more.

But, you keep the same reasonable % deficit between doing one or the other, you'll lose more fat on the lifting because of the increased metabolism during repair.
    Whereas cardio actually has a chance of burning muscle mass, even with a reasonable deficit.

3-4 big exercises is better than a bunch of isolation ones.

More cardio isn't needed for improved cardiovascular health, in fact there is a point of diminishing returns. Especially when in a deficit it can just plain add stress.

It's all the stresses that make fat and weight loss difficult.

My concern with routine is what do you want your focus to be right now, because unless that cardio is done certain way, I see it just impacting and preventing getting the most out of the lifting.

And all the cardio in the world won't improve a bad diet that causes atherosclerosis, though it may slow down the effects. But that much would also add a bunch of negative effects.

So know what their heart problems are a result of.

And the recommendations to help cardio health aren't that much.
    http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/AerobicComponents.html
  • kiku76
    Options
    hmmmm, so there is a chance the cardio is too much huh?
    my walk/run burns maybe 400-450 calories, and thats 2x week on non lifting days. the other cardio is usuallywalking at a brisk pace for 15-20 min only.
    i am torn because i actually enjoy running.
    should i cut out the cardio on lifting days?
    oh, as far as diet, i eat pretty healthy, lots of fruits and veggies
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's not bad at all then, just the level it's done at.

If anything, it's more the running on non-lifting days that would interfere with a good complete repair from the lifting.

If you can run in the Active Recovery HR zone, which usually means no additional load being put on the muscles, just blood flow, you can still jog on day after lifting days. That HR zone is badly called the fat-burning zone too.

If you want to do some faster running on lifting days, make it after a good lifting session, and then go whatever pace you want. Repair is going to happen next day anyway, so you may be slowed down a bit.
    But don't do it before the lifting. Tired muscles lifting to almost failure is different response than fresh muscles. Can't lift as heavy and put as heavy a load on them.
  • kiku76
    Options
    oooooooh! i got it.
    thanks so much!