Just migrated over

Options
Julie_Donahue
Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
I started C25K in January (at about 290 pounds) and I finished it about a month ago (about 275 pounds). I've been kind of wandering aimlessly since graduation. I have run 5K 4 or 5 time now. (All by one on a treadmill). I was having trouble keeping the focus without the training program. My goals are to increase distance (5K is my longest run ever) and improve my time (54:29 is my best 5K time). My other goal is to be able to run outside more.

I didn't come over here originally because I don't necessarily plan to run a 10K. But I saw that Zen Labs has a 10K app that incorporates the C25K app I used. So today I started on W9D1. I ran 10 minutes, walked 1 minute (4 times). Wow! That was tough! But I think this will be a good way for more to build up my runs.

Replies

• mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I am doing the same program, just without an app. I have done that day twice now, we are about at the same level. 2 more times and then moving to week 2. We can cher for each other. I don´t plan to run a 10k soon but I want to run a Marathon relay next year, so I better be prepared.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Julie!
    I'm following a 10K program as well but have started closer to the beginning than you. I have the same goals: run 5K consistently (which I can do on the treadmill but have yet to do outdoors), decrease my time (my best has been around 47 minutes so far) and to do better (much better) when running outdoors. I don't know if I really want to increase my distance; I'll see as I go along.

You're doing really well. We can cheer and encourage each other.

Mamakira, your goal is awesome. It'll be great when you post your marathon accomplishment here.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Julie! I'm so happy to see you! You are so inspirational. I'm not doing a 10k program - I'm just winging it with a training plan. I think of this group as where we figure out how we incorporate running into our lives.

Mamakira - I love the idea of being part of a marathon relay. Those are so cool!

Since I'm now occasionally hitting 10 minute miles, I've committed to a virtual 10k on Sunday, a real 10k on June first and will start training for a half marathon in January sometime in November.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I should just use an app and go for the 10K. I ran 2 miles on Monday, 2 miles tonight, although I only meant to run 1 so I will run 2 tomorrow and on Sunday I will run 3. But I am doubting whether that is what I should be doing...because that means I'm only running about 28 mins for the 2 miles and 45 for the three...The app I have downloaded would have me start Week9Day1 doing two 20 minute intervals with a three minute walk in-between. So now I'm kind of tempted to do that. especially if I had the support of others doing a similar program. (That is very motivating.) I need to make up my mind once and for all and stick to a plan!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That made me crazy after graduation. My Runner's World plan cut me down to two miles 2 days a week and three miles 1 day. That meant that I would be running UNDER 30 minutes. And if I stopped running before at least 30 minutes, I would NEVER be able to run that long again. So I ignored my plan for weeks. :)
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    The first week of the bridge program had me running a total of 40 minutes and walking 13 (including 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That's why I didn't start on the Bridge program because I have two toddlers and wherever would I find 53 minutes to run?

Says the woman who's going to find 90+ minutes to run on Sunday. Because I'm an addict.

So now you've heard all my excuses.