What shoes are you using?

Options
sunshinestater
sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
I'm curious as to the running shoes everyone is using. As a Floridian, I'm in flip flops most of the time and can barely stand "real" shoes. I wear Skechers Shape Ups when I walk a lot, but of course you can't get them anymore due to the lawsuits. They're Frankenstein shoes that you could never run in, even though they're great for walking.

I tried two Nike styles, and one ripped up the back of my foot, but the other, the Flex 2012 running shoe, is awesome. I have two pairs and never even had to break them in. They're the "barefoot" style that's so popular now, which is probably why I like them. Of course, being 2012s, I won't be able to find them again, so it's back to square one when I wear them out.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I started running in Brooks Ghost 5's. I tried on a lot of shoes before I started and they just felt "right" from the beginning. Since then I picked up a few pairs of Mizuno's at a clearance sale (I didn't need them but the price was too good to pass up). From the Mizuno line I got the Wave Precision 13, Wave Inspire 8, and Wave Elixir 7. I like them all and each have strengths for certain kinds of running. When I started trail running recently I again tried on many different brands but settled on the ASICS Fuji Racer. They felt like they were made for my feet and I feel very connected to the trail with those (but probably not enough cushion for a lot of people). So now I have many shoes to choose from and can spread the mileage. Still trying to find that perfect shoe for me but the Wave Elixir comes the closest. When these wear out I will switch gradually to more minimalist shoes like the Brooks Pure series or something similar. My wife likes the Nike Free's so I might try them.

Make sure you get a good running store to take a video of you running so they can analyze your gait. My local store told me I was a neutral pronator and I have found that neutral shoes tend to feel pretty good for me. Funny though that the Wave Elixir is my favorite but it is more of a support shoe for over pronation.
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tried on 10 or so pairs when I went to the running store. I loved the Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s immediately, more than the Brooks, NB, Asics, and another brand the lady brought out. I'm an overpronator, so the Wave Inspire 9 felt great. I initially bought the first pair of shoes I tried on, which were NB, because they had the depth I needed for the brace I had to wear at the time. I liked them, too, but I ended up buying the Mizunos when I didn't need to wear the brace any more. They seem to run a little smaller than the NB, especially with them being the same size, but they are a lot lighter, too.

I also recommend getting fitted at a running store. My running store didn't take a video of me, they watched me walk across the store. They also measured my feet and analyzed my arch. I bought my first pair from them because I thought it was courteous, but I ordered my Mizunos online for a discounted price.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah go to a running store and get fitted properly. It will mean the world to your running, literally. One of the biggest mistakes people make is just going out there and buying a shoe because someone recommended it. You can't take the recommendation from someone other than someone trained to recognize your foot fall, your stride turn over, and any thing else that is unique to you.

That being said, I have:

fluidflex_11.jpg

They are the hybrid shoe from montrail, since I run both trail and pavement.

That is also another thing your assistant will help you with, finding the right shoe for the terrain you are running. Believe it or not, running on trails, pavement or treadmills are something that is considered when fitting you. Why? Because each shoe for that terrain is made out of different materials. For treadmill they use a less sturdy material since the stress on the shoe won't be as bad as on pavement.

You don't have to buy the shoe at the running store. You can go to the running store, get fitted and then buy on-line or at a discount store like Rack Room.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I also recommend going to a running store for a fitting. They are a big help in finding the right shoe and it's surprising how different the shoes feel on your foot. One shoe will feel right and be the right type of shoe for the running you do.

My first pair of running shoes after a fitting at the store are Saucony Progrid Guide 5. They felt right from the beginning and feel great on the road. I'm happy with them so far.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I have a neutral foot so no problems there. I have an Asics Gel-virage and a lighter Nike air+ now. But as I am running on gravel, soil or stones I mostly wear the asics shoe. The stones get stuck in the sole of the Nike air plus.
    And I have thorlo running socks which was the best buy, they are so nicely padded and make running so much more comfortable.
    Next investmant will be trail running shoes.
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a running store or the money for one, you might try Skechers GoRun. I like them. They encourage a mid-foot strike and they are very light. They have good reviews on Amazon.