Getting out of a Plateau

Options
Squamation
Squamation Posts: 522 Member
Before whenever I hit a plateau I would tighten down on my eating by cutting out refined carbs (lowered my daily intake of carbs to 106g from 120g, complex/whole grain only), cut down on fats, and upped my protein.

This time around that doesn't really seem to be helping. I've recently upped my calories from 1200 to 1300 and am focusing on getting in 25g of fiber a day. I'm also focusing on taking in as much water as possible but so far no weight changes.

I have seen progress: Since Jan I've lost 4.3 inches of fat (mostly stomach) and gained 1.5 inches of muscle (mostly bicep). To me measurements are more important than weight HOWEVER From Jan to April I lost 2.7% body fat and April to May I lost 0% body fat.

Exercise for April was the second half of Insanity. I've started Les Mills Pump (at home) this month and Brazil Butt Lift.

I want to get leaner, toned, cut and having this last month be ZERO results is extremely frustrating and demotivating.

Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've heard that one or 2 days of eating over your calorie budget helps people get out of their plateu when they go back to their normal eating habits. I haven't actually tried it but I am getting to that point where I might need to...
  • Squamation
    Options
    On Friday's and Saturday's I go above my weekday calorie allowance (not overkill, just to have a drink or two with friends or use ranch dressing instead of fat free on my salad).

I've been thinking about actually cutting down on the weekends, but I've been doing it this whole time and the plateau is more recent.

Might work for you tho- the scary part is you don't know until you try.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I agree with redhead. Even if you do have a random day where you go over calories, you say you do not 'overkill' it. Sometimes, there is just a need to do this to break a plateau. If you are eating under your budget too often, you need a quick boost.
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 cals over the week and 1800-2000 sat and sunday, I am 5'9'' and exercise 3-4 times a week in combination with aerobic classes and weights...i lost 9 pounds quickly but cant progress more neither...
  • Squamation
    Options
    I decided to downsize my drinking over the weekends (no more sweet sticky delicious drinks) and that seems to have helped.

I'm back to losing a small % of body fat a week. Plateau broken :)

I just started running yesterday so hopefully that will only help things along.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have not lost anything much since I have been here. a pound or two here and there but always seem to put it back on. and BLOATING like mad whenever I touch any food (which is daily as I refuse to starve myself). I can gain a pant size or 2 in a few hours. EG: I wake up in a 27 pant and by noon I have to change to my 29s. WTF!!!!! my theighs even bloat! has anyone ever heard of this?! So very frustrated and uncomfortable. I have even tried upping my Cals from 1200 to 1400 and a binge weekend. still nothing!! I exercise daily (have done 6 months of water aerobics 3X/week, walking 3x/week, biking to work everyday, and various other means of exercise) just cannot seem to drop a pound!!! made an apt with my doctor for next week to get thyroid tested and maybe some allergy tests. there has to be a reason for this.....
  • Obscuring
    Obscuring Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have not lost anything much since I have been here. a pound or two here and there but always seem to put it back on. and BLOATING like mad whenever I touch any food (which is daily as I refuse to starve myself). I can gain a pant size or 2 in a few hours. EG: I wake up in a 27 pant and by noon I have to change to my 29s. WTF!!!!! my theighs even bloat! has anyone ever heard of this?! So very frustrated and uncomfortable. I have even tried upping my Cals from 1200 to 1400 and a binge weekend. still nothing!! I exercise daily (have done 6 months of water aerobics 3X/week, walking 3x/week, biking to work everyday, and various other means of exercise) just cannot seem to drop a pound!!! made an apt with my doctor for next week to get thyroid tested and maybe some allergy tests. there has to be a reason for this.....

I would be really interested to know what you find out, if you don't mind!