Wondering about "after medifast"

MissingMyOldSelf
MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
My good friend has been successful on MF, and has lost over 100lbs, and he looks so great. I am so proud of him!!! But he's transitioned off of the program to "real life", and even at 40 years old, working out 4 times a week for at least an hour each time, and eating 1200-1500 calories a day, he's gaining his weight back, hand over fist. He is so frustrated and he keeps going back on MF to get the weight off. This has happened for the past 3 months.

He's so upset that he'll have to be on MF for the rest of his life just to keep the weight off.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Replies

• teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Wow, that is a big bummer :( I hope it's not true! There's no way I am staying on it forever! Is he sure it is not muscle weight? Is he still eating small portions every 2-3 hours? There has to be a way for him to keep his weight off... this scares me!!! Anyone anyone?
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    I'm worried, too, because I don't want to keep going and have this happen to me.

I'm not sure if it's muscle weight, but in one week, he went up 7lbs. And that same week, he only worked out once. He was so discouraged, and I've not seem him like that since the last diet he tried and failed on.

He still takes snacks with him at work and eats every 2-3hrs.

I just feel so bad for his frustration!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Is he watching his carb intake, even at the higher calorie levels? Perhaps he can try to keep his carbs under 100, and only add in more protein/fat calories?

Also, is he following transition 'properly' - as in, only adding back one thing at a time, and holding it there for a while, before adding the next thing back? (I may not be explaining it well, don't have the MF materials in front of me.)

If he's just 'going off' MF all at once, that may be making his body think that he's just gone from 'famine' to 'feast', and it had better 'store up' for the next famine. The key is to re-introduce foods (carbs especially) *slowly*.
  • Autazell
    Autazell Posts: 54 Member
    :/ That sucks. It addition to the other suggestions I would also have my metabolic rate tested. Maybe he is eating too little and his body is storing fat?
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    While I don't exactly know his exact food intake, I'm 99.9% sure that he's followed the transition properly (he's been doing it VERY slowly, since about mid September, and is off MF), and I'm also 99.9% sure that he's watching his new foods.

Maybe he "is" eating too little, Autazell? I think he's afraid to eat more calories and gain more weight?
  • Autazell
    Autazell Posts: 54 Member
    I can understand being afraid to eat more when he has been gaining, but 1200-1500 calories sounds very low for an adult male. There are some metabolism boosting tricks he can do too like carb cycling etc if that really is his TEE but I think it's more likely that he is not eating enough.

-The metabolic rate test might give him the data/courage to try eating more.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    I'm so sorry about your friend. What he is experiencing is what we coaches call the "5 & 1 prison". Do you know if he was properly transitioned? Did he learn how to eat (still 6 small meals a day. Protein/carb balanced to keep his blood sugars in check. Is he sticking to lower glycemic foods as much as possible?Is he still drinking 100 OZ of water a day? Is he getting enough sleep and keeping his stress levels in check? Is he tracking and being extremly "mindful" about what he is eating (and why he is eating it?) Is he using the 9 inch plate rule? These are all things that are taught while people are in the 5 & 1. Unless they just do Medifast as a diet. Diets are temporary and people gain their weight back. I lost 75lbs on the Take Shape For Life program. I have kept it off for over a year and a half. It really is possible to keep it off as long as you realize that once you hit your goal your work really has just begun.
  • sstratto01
    sstratto01 Posts: 23
    His situation sounds terrible. I think the others have great advice for him.

For others who are worried "Could this be me?" - Here is another perspective - where I am:

I have been off Medifast now since early March (lost over 80 pounds). I took time in January through February to transition (exactly per plan except I introduced fruit week 2 and then dairy). I then added 100 calories a week - actually sometimes staying at a calorie level for 2 weeks to get used to the food amounts being introduced. I think this time ended up being critical in changing my mental approach to food. I did not really have to think about anything while on the 5 & 1 but once you leave the program, you need to think about everything. What is a serving size? How many calories? How many carbs? What is a healthy fueling. You can see my worried posts on the Medifast forums.

I went from ignoring food labels to really reading them and figuring out how much each meal was going to use of my daily calories. I also used the Medifast foods for healthy fuelings - I was very concerned about leaving the program food. I only use the food now because of convenience. Some days, I don't use any Medifast products.

So far, I am staying at a good weight level (i am actually about 10 pounds below my target weight). I don't get to exercise much yet eat 2000 calories a day (if I can actually get to it). I log every meal and watch calories like a hawk. I don't really worry too much about carbs now, I did initially. I think for me, calories are the key. I still drink a ton of water and weigh/measure most of my foods.

I tell you this to show it is possible to transition and go into maintenance and keep the weight off (well for at least a few months now for me). Now let's see where I am in November - that will be my 1 year anniversary of starting Medifast. I am committed to keeping the weight off.

I hope this helps.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Very inspirational!!!! Thanks for sharing. My coach has kept her weight off for 5 years. I can't wait to learn from her about how to keep it off once I reach my goal. I am starting now to be more mindful of my food that I eat for lean & green especially since I am only 16 pounds away from my goal weight now which with Medifast will be gone in a flash. Thanks to those who shared about keeping it off.
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    I have pretty much kept the weigh toff..I lost over 55 lbs and started transition in april...I took two weeks for each stage and now am in maintenance...I am using this sit eto track EVERYTHING....still drinking my water and weighing EVERYTHING.....I am still watching th esugars/carbs etc....when I ate fruit with lots of suger woul dgain more...I am up and down teh same 2 lbs...I work out 6 days a week...combo cardio/weights/yoga.....have him call his coach
  • chunkygirl23
    chunkygirl23 Posts: 6 Member
    oh my gosh. how do i save this for me to read later?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    I lost 48 pounds over about 3 months with 5+1 and have been in maintenance since March. Thankfully I haven't had the experience your friend is having. I too am 40 but don't exercise much and have been maintaining with a 2,000 calorie diet and eat back my exercise calories.
    I'd suggest he sees his doctor for some blood work. Also, if he goes back on 5+1, stay on plan to get 5-10 pounds under his goal, that way he has some "wiggle room" without worry. I transitioned at my goal weight but continued to lose during transition, it seems that doesn't happen for most.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    I have pretty much kept the weigh toff..I lost over 55 lbs and started transition in april...I took two weeks for each stage and now am in maintenance...I am using this sit eto track EVERYTHING....still drinking my water and weighing EVERYTHING.....I am still watching th esugars/carbs etc....when I ate fruit with lots of suger woul dgain more...I am up and down teh same 2 lbs...I work out 6 days a week...combo cardio/weights/yoga.....have him call his coach

Hi Rosie! Can I ask your height, weight, age and how many calories you are consuming in maintenance? I'm so scared of regaining weight (again!) once I reach my goal weight. Thanks!
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    I eat anywhere between 1400-1900 depending on how much I exercise that day....I usually go to the gym every morning during the week...I am more flexible on the weekends....I try to eat healthy foods and have some wine on the weekend if I am out with friends....I only have dessert if I am at a restaurant or dinner party.....So far has been working ...I am now at 161 but I have regained a few lbs but they are muscle..I am still a size 6-8 and feel very healthy....Do not be afraid of transitioning off medifast...I followed teh plan allowing for 2 weeks for each section and it worked for me...just try to pack your lunch everyday...eat breakfast at home and still cook dinner...you will be fine...I love this site because it holds me accountable and the food database is easier to use...Good luck:)
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    I lost 100lbs while on Medifast over the course of 8 months or so. Near the end I was increasing my calorie intake by snacking on stuff like nuts and whatnot. I didnt really follow the transition plan.

Ive since put on 25lbs. However I did lose a LOT of muscle after doing Medifast. I was physically weak and couldnt lift/push things that I was once able to do. Ive been working on strength training since going off Medifast and really controlling what Ive been eating (making sure Im eating at least 150g of protein each day, not going over my calorie budget unless its a workout day, etc). So of those 25 lbs, 6 lbs was new fat, the rest was new muscle.

I really dont care about my weight anymore. The focus for me has become about body fat percent. I could be 250 lbs, it wouldnt matter to me as long as my body fat was where it needs to be.

So anyway, it seems to me that your husband is eating too little. I need to eat about 3000 calories to maintain my weight (Im on my feet all day at work, constantly moving), I try to aim for 2500 to cut some fat.

If your husband is only eating 1200, I am positive hes not eating enough. If he works full time and is working out 4 times a week, hes just running his body into the ground. Its also possible that weight gain is muscle coming back after being on Medifast.

The thing about Medifast is that its a great way for people who really need to lose weight, to lose weight. But its not a long term solution and its not for vanity weight. And doing it for long term can really mess with your metabolism. Only eating 1000 calories is not healthy in the long run.I would really look into figuring out your husbands maintenance calories and keeping him at or 200 calories below that goal. Then make sure hes eating enough protein.

For me, coming off Medifast and into maintenance, the big thing that helped keep things in check was logging all my food on here (which is why Im here in the first place). It helps me keep a more accurate log of what Im eating than if I were to just guesstimate.