Article on Middle-aged yoga & back pain

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/booming/advice-on-practicing-yoga-in-middle-age-part-1.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

For those just interested in the whole "does yoga reduce your metabolism" issue, the last paragraph:

"Several people, including MR, have asked whether yoga slows metabolism. Yes, it does. It lowers blood pressure and reduces atrial fibrillation and in general calms things down. But that does not mean yoga cannot be used to trim your weight. Yoga does it differently, by stretching the organ, the stomach, which will then send turn-off signals to the appetite centers in the brain. Poses like the warrior III, the twisted janu sirsasana, and parivrtta parsvakonasana, done 10 to 20 minutes before a meal, will probably work. This requires a small amount of self-discipline, but then again, so does just about anything that succeeds. "

I so have to try this. Also, I love the last sentence!

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    The final sentence there is ALL!

btw, my experience of any kind of vinyasa/flow or power type of yoga - which are just modern terms for any form of yoga which incorporates more than sitting on your bottom doing a few stretches in my view - :noway: - is my apetite and presumably metabolism is momentarily stimulated rather than subdued. I find myself to be ravenous straight after a challenging yoga session which tails off hours later.

In the long term though, I think my metabolism is possibly lower than average/normal.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry after a good yoga session as well (without any vinyasa even :wink: ), but I thought I would try just doing those deep twists one week before eating dinner and to see what would happen.