Aim for macros or calories?

Options
ghsfitnesspal
ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
Hi there, quick question please.

I'm aiming for about 1900 cals a day, with a 40/30/30 breakdown, and am doing Insanity (not as well as the super fit people on the DVDs are!)

Problem I have is that I often get to my carb or fat macros faaaaar before I get anywhere near 1900, assuming I've not had cake or biscuits or wine! I think most days it's about 1400, ish.

Please could you maybe let me know your opinion on which to aim for, macros or calories? I've been trying to eat more over the last 3 months and put on 3kg of the 13 I lost originally so I'm not sure how to work it out :)

Thank you!

Replies

• ghsfitnesspal
    Options
    Thanks Fire Rock - I've been there and read it, and set it up with the numbers she recommends about .35g/fat and the other of protein :) But it doesn't answer whether to eat to calories or to macros, if you can't make them match up together.

Or...it might do somewhere in all the replies, but I havent spotted it when I was reading it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Thanks Fire Rock - I've been there and read it, and set it up with the numbers she recommends about .35g/fat and the other of protein :) But it doesn't answer whether to eat to calories or to macros, if you can't make them match up together.

Or...it might do somewhere in all the replies, but I havent spotted it when I was reading it.

Eat to your calorie goal. The macros are minimums.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    Options
    Super, thanks for replying again! Funny how there is so much information out there and all of a sudden one hits a unsure-what-to-do-next wall.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Eat to your calorie goal. The macros are minimums.

^^ yep

The write up states:

Macronutrient goals should really not be based on percentages, but on grams which vary depending on your size and activity levels.

We would recommend, as a rule of thumb, the following:

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    Options
    Thanks for both your replies - that very neatly breaks down into 40/30/30 for me, which is what I'd set up before. I hadn't realised it was a minimum though, that's very helpful.

It works out at
    133g protein (I get between 60-85g normally, I really struggle)
    63g fat
    190g carbs
    endless alcohol, if I go by the 4 parts in the tutorial :)

So if I try and aim for my protein, I will *definitely* go over fats, as my protein comes from eggs. cheese, pulses and fromage frais (barely any fat compared to plain yoghurt but tastes identical!) . Ought I try and get a little bit over fats, and and a little bit under protein, to gain a middle ground?

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks for both your replies - that very neatly breaks down into 40/30/30 for me, which is what I'd set up before. I hadn't realised it was a minimum though, that's very helpful.

It works out at
    133g protein (I get between 60-85g normally, I really struggle)
    63g fat
    190g carbs
    endless alcohol, if I go by the 4 parts in the tutorial :)

So if I try and aim for my protein, I will *definitely* go over fats, as my protein comes from eggs. cheese, pulses and fromage frais (barely any fat compared to plain yoghurt but tastes identical!) . Ought I try and get a little bit over fats, and and a little bit under protein, to gain a middle ground?

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions

You could either:

a) Choose some leaner sources of protein to incorporate into your diet.

or

b) Go over your fats and reduce carbohydrate in order to allow you to stay at your calorie goal.

I'd go with a) first.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    Options
    I'll have a hunt - I can't get hold of the tempeh or seitan stuff where I am but I'll see what else I can do. Thanks for the options, it's helpful to know what to aim for next
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'll have a hunt - I can't get hold of the tempeh or seitan stuff where I am but I'll see what else I can do. Thanks for the options, it's helpful to know what to aim for next

This gives a list of protein sources by calorie. It sounds like you may be a vegetarian - they are split between meat, vegetarian and vegan sources.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking so we can keep track of active threads. If you wish for the thread to be unlocked so you can ask further questions or comment further, please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel, including a link to this thread and we will unlock it so you can.
This discussion has been closed.