Lifiting at home

Options
Labouffecestbon
Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
Hi guys! :)

I wish I could go to the gym and lift weights, but that's not an option right now. I'm searching for ways to lift at home and maximizing my results. I use a DVD and the lady does a very good job covering upper and lower body. Perhaps it won't equal what I might get at the gym, but you do what you gotta do with what you got.

I use 3-lb, 5-lb and 8-lb dumbells for upper body. No "extra" weight for lower body (I do things like squats, lunges, etc). Can I work out this way and still get good results? What counts as "heavy lifting" anyway? I hope I don't have to be lifting 100s of lbs and screaming for that to count as heavy lifting...

Any ideas? Any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Two good places to check out to change things up are fitnessblender.com heaps of stuff to do and change it up. Also a lot of people do new rules of lifting for woman. I do mine at home but you will probably need to get some new gear. I have adjustable dumbbells and barbell and swiss ball. New Rules is a book to follow I downloaded it from amazon on my kindle app.

For the weights you have I'm sure fitnessblender will have heaps for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

I would count heavy as what is heavy for you, don't compare yourself to someone else.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Two good places to check out to change things up are fitnessblender.com heaps of stuff to do and change it up. Also a lot of people do new rules of lifting for woman. I do mine at home but you will probably need to get some new gear. I have adjustable dumbbells and barbell and swiss ball. New Rules is a book to follow I downloaded it from amazon on my kindle app.

For the weights you have I'm sure fitnessblender will have heaps for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

I would count heavy as what is heavy for you, don't compare yourself to someone else.
    I checked out the links and I can already tell I'll pick up a lot of moves/modifications from fitnessblender.
    I'll definitely go through the topics in New Rules and join, why not!

I suppose I might get some new gear later (as strength increases, it will probably be necessary).

Thanks!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is generally considered to be the most weight you can lift for up to 8 reps. Obviously this will vary greatly from one person to another.

Your weights would probably not be enough to be considered 'heavy' lifting, at least not for long as you'd probably soon progress above them. However that does not mean you can't get any results. There are plenty of body weight workouts around.

Also if you could get a door frame pull-up bar (usually inexpensive) then pull-ups and chin-ups are great exercises that work your whole arms, back and core.