Squat Pad

Options
tootoop224
tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
I get some fairly heavy pain where the bar "pinches" my back against my backbone. I can't seem to find a position that doesn't leave this area pretty sore all the time. I think I have a pretty bony back, but not sure. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Anyone use a squat pad, and if so, how do they work?

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    a pad will change the angle/leverages to a degree, I never liked them much. Are you sticking your chest out and pulling your shoulder blades together? Doing that makes a natural shelf down lower where the bar can sit better. It shouldn't be sitting on any bones at all.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I couldn't use the pad -- the bar keep rocking and sliding out of position. When I first started squatting and got up to heavier weight, I also got pain like an electric shock in my left shoulder/back area -- I just stopped for a couple of weeks and then slowly restarted and built back up and had no further pain.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I felt this the first few weeks too. As mentioned, I think positioning is key for this. For me it seems I sort of hit the back of my neck and kinda let the bar almost "roll" down onto my shoulders. Kinda hard to explain. And I'm only starting week 6 so my weight may be lighter than yours but I definitely felt discomfort for a while there.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    a pad will change the angle/leverages to a degree, I never liked them much. Are you sticking your chest out and pulling your shoulder blades together? Doing that makes a natural shelf down lower where the bar can sit better. It shouldn't be sitting on any bones at all.

OK, Started week 7 last night.I was checking my form, and I do stick out my chest and pull my shoulder blades together. I paid very close attention, and think I found the "shelf" you are referring to (I think I had found it previously, as some times it feels better than others). I get the bar pretty far back. It is on my back, pretty well off my shoulders. When I take the bar off the rack, it feels pretty good, but as I do the squat, the bar must move a little, and that is when it hits he bony area. It sounds worse than it is. It's just a little pinch, and I have a small bruise. It hurts when I do the squats, but after, the pain goes away.It is red and sensitive to touch. Never really thought about it, but I do have a bony back. The bumps on my vertebrae show through my skin. Guess I'll just keep looking for the best spot to place the bar, or try a pad., although I don't think I would like it. Should I try to focus on keeping the bar still during the squat?

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

-Chuck
  • tootoop224
    Options
    I couldn't use the pad -- the bar keep rocking and sliding out of position. When I first started squatting and got up to heavier weight, I also got pain like an electric shock in my left shoulder/back area -- I just stopped for a couple of weeks and then slowly restarted and built back up and had no further pain.

Not getting anything like that, just the pinching/pressure in that one spot. Gonna try to rectify it. If that doesn't work, might take a break to let it "heal up" and see how that goes.

Thanks for the input.

-Chuck
  • tootoop224
    Options
    I felt this the first few weeks too. As mentioned, I think positioning is key for this. For me it seems I sort of hit the back of my neck and kinda let the bar almost "roll" down onto my shoulders. Kinda hard to explain. And I'm only starting week 6 so my weight may be lighter than yours but I definitely felt discomfort for a while there.

Yeah, I am finding a decent spot to put the bar, but I may have some 'rolling' going on while I am squatting. Gonna try to "lock in" my bar position and see how that goes.

Thanks for the input.

-Chuck
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    To keep the bar from rolling, once you have everything set, push your elbows up and back. This should lock everything in.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    To keep the bar from rolling, once you have everything set, push your elbows up and back. This should lock everything in.

Heading down shortly for week-7 session-2. Will give it a shot.

Thanks!
  • tootoop224
    Options

Thanks!
    OK. so I tried this, with no luck. I did some research, and I think I have a lack of lat muscle, so my "shelf" isn't thick enough and causes this problem. As the weight gets heavier, and the more I lift, the sorer the spot becomes. I tried wrapping a towel around the bar for a little cushion and that felt better. I am going to hold off on the squats for a while, maybe do some other type, let the spot heal, then start back in with some padding.

Thanks to all for the advice. You guys rock!
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    can you post a pic of you set up and ready to squat? I'd be interested to see exactly where you have the bar and what your setup looks like.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    can you post a pic of you set up and ready to squat? I'd be interested to see exactly where you have the bar and what your setup looks like.
    Thanks. I will try to get something to you.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    OK. so I tried this, with no luck. I did some research, and I think I have a lack of lat muscle, so my "shelf" isn't thick enough and causes this problem. As the weight gets heavier, and the more I lift, the sorer the spot becomes. I tried wrapping a towel around the bar for a little cushion and that felt better. I am going to hold off on the squats for a while, maybe do some other type, let the spot heal, then start back in with some padding.

I use a pad. It's basically a "noodle" used in the pool and cut and wrapped around the bar. Have you thought about trying front squats?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I have the same issue, but it only bothers me at heavier weights so I'll leave the pad off for warmups. I can tell you unambiguously that it is because I have bad posture. As I continue to work to correct my posture I'm hoping I can stop using the pad.
  • tootoop224
    Options

Thanks!

I use a pad. It's basically a "noodle" used in the pool and cut and wrapped around the bar. Have you thought about trying front squats?

So far the towel and recent de-load have lessened the problem. Gonna keep at it. Might switch if I can't get past this. Thanks!
  • tootoop224
    Options

I have the same issue, but it only bothers me at heavier weights so I'll leave the pad off for warmups. I can tell you unambiguously that it is because I have bad posture. As I continue to work to correct my posture I'm hoping I can stop using the pad.
    How can you be so sure it is due to poor posture? Mine is poor also, and I was wondering about that.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

How can you be so sure it is due to poor posture? Mine is poor also, and I was wondering about that.

Because the bar is digging into the hump in my back where my spine rounds and it should not. I'm fairly sure posture is the main problem.

tsimblist, I've read that article and am doing the exercises Mehdi lists to help improve my posture. Can't quite get the low-bar grip yet so I'll go high bar with the pad until I can.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    Yes. Very. Thanks Mark.
  • tootoop224
    Options

Because the bar is digging into the hump in my back where my spine rounds and it should not. I'm fairly sure posture is the main problem.

tsimblist, I've read that article and am doing the exercises Mehdi lists to help improve my posture. Can't quite get the low-bar grip yet so I'll go high bar with the pad until I can.
    Yeah, my posture is the same. I am working on it too.
  • tootoop224
    Options

Thanks!

danimal,I have continued to work on your suggestion to "lock in" the bar, and think I am getting better at it. What I found was that when I first pick up the bar, I have my shoulder blades back, and am locked in. Then once I start squating I am focusing on my squating form and not realizing I was losing it. I am going to keep the weight the same for a hile and work on form before moving up.

Thanks fo al your help.

-Chuck