Any benefit to "recomp" vs constant deficit?

Options
jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
So I'm within about 7 pounds of my goal. I'm currently about 12.8% body fat and my goal is to get to around 10 and then maintain it for a few months before starting a slow bulk in the fall. I currently run a deficit of around 375-400 calories a day, every day. I lift 3 days a week and generally do something active every other day (or sometimes the same day) like tennis, cycling, etc.

I was wondering if there would be any benefit to switching to more of a recomp kinda plan where I eat a 400-500 deficit on non-lifting days and then maintenance on lifting days. My weekly deficit would go from about 2700 to 2000, but would there be any muscle-sparing or muscle-building benefits?

Since I lift in the evening after work, this would effectively mean that on lifting days I'd just eat a very large dinner and eat pretty normally on rest days.

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    bump for replies.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Purely anecdotal, but I did something similar for a year and realised a lot of lifting gains as well as physique changes. I gained about 15lbs, but only an inch in the waist. I managed it a bit differently. I ate the same amount every day and used exercise the manage my deficit/surplus on given days.

I'm back to a deficit for about another 10 lbs then I'm going to do it again. Much the same way. Rinse and repeat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how patient you are.

The problem with recomping - it is very inefficient and hit and miss. Your TDEE changes daily, your food is absorbed and utilized at different rates and throughout a relatively long period of time - so what you eat one day will not necessarily to towards a surplus and therefore muscle gains for that day. So this makes it a bit of a crap shoot. Obviously some of the times, it will go towards muscle gains, which is why people do it when they do not want to do a straight bulk/cut cycle.

However, if you go for a recomp, you should really be looking to eat at maintenance on average. If you are in a deficit any gains will be even more hit and miss and be at a snails pace, mainly for the reasons noted above, but even more so.
  • jonnythan
    Options

The problem with recomping - it is very inefficient and hit and miss. Your TDEE changes daily, your food is absorbed and utilized at different rates and throughout a relatively long period of time - so what you eat one day will not necessarily to towards a surplus and therefore muscle gains for that day. So this makes it a bit of a crap shoot. Obviously some of the times, it will go towards muscle gains, which is why people do it when they do not want to do a straight bulk/cut cycle.

However, if you go for a recomp, you should really be looking to eat at maintenance on average. If you are in a deficit any gains will be even more hit and miss and be at a snails pace, mainly for the reasons noted above, but even more so.

What I'm really looking for is long-term efficiency, I think. So it sounds like my original plan of continuing a deficit until I reach my goal, then doing a slow bulk, will achieve that more effectively, yes?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What I'm really looking for is long-term efficiency, I think. So it sounds like my original plan of continuing a deficit until I reach my goal, then doing a slow bulk, will achieve that more effectively, yes?

In my opinion, that would be the way to go. Doing a slow bulk you can limit fat gains.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.