anyone not eat grains/wheat?

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
I did well eating clean with no grains, and then I discovered oat mug muffins. I was eating them daily, and my weight loss stalled.

I want to get back to eating clean, but I"m wondering if I should avoid oats and grains.
Has anyone had success eating just lean Protein, fruits, veggies and fats, and maintained it? (that last part is probably key)

Thanks!

Replies

• carrie3083
    carrie3083 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have recently started to consume less. Mostly in an effort to eat as minimally processed as possible. Its pretty limiting! but I feel great. Getting in to some alternate flours like amaranth and millet and buckwheat with higher protein contents since I am in a "vegan curious" mode right now.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I do consume a lot less simple carbs. I do specifically avoid oats only because they don't like me. DH once a week begs for a potato, rice or pasta. So, I'll usually have some whole wheat pasta, brown rice and I'll have half a potato. I just don't do it often.
  • GJorde
    GJorde Posts: 1
    Options
    I am excited to find out that you are attempting no grains, I am going to try that as well. I believe I will be trying to have green smoothies for the morning. Right now I am at that sitting on the couch, no get up and go, and no incentive to excercise.
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am limited to the grains/wheat I can eat because of the lapband. I try and only eat them once a day (usually at dinner).
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating wheat for 3 weeks, as an experiment. The difference I noticed was less bloating and thus slightly flatter stomach. Other than that, no dramatic change, neither on the scale nor according to how I felt.

However, this experience introduced me to using coconut flour and almond flour which I learned to love. I also learned to replace meals containing wheat with other ones. And I enjoy them so much that I don't feel the need to go back.

I will have wheat once in a while but I significantly reduced its intake, same with other grains. I still enjoy rice or quinoa or buckwheat noodles from time to time. But stepping away from it brought some fresh air, a fresh wind into my kitchen and into my cooking and for that I am grateful.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I just finished a fast for church of wheat and sugar. I found that I increased other grains like quinoa and farro. Love both of those. I think the thing I noticed most about the no wheat/sugar was the recovery from working out was way better. No aching joints! So for me, the inflammation from eating those items will remain a factor. I am way less likely to eat pasta, bread and other yeast items ( including craft beers...) as often!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I replaced wheat based bread products with sprouted grain products and I also switched to brown rice pasta and eat more quinoa now. I'm only three weeks in to eating clean so I'm still experimenting with what works. I'm sure I'll tweak as I go but I'm not quite ready to give up everything and I think the substitutions I've made fit well into my eat clean plan. Maybe not perfectly, but it's all a work in progress.
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a perfect clean eater, but that is by choice as I have made a few "allowances" for myself each day. Anyway, I consume oatmeal almost daily as one of my "allowances" -- from plain quick oats to organic instant oatmeal. Literally almost daily, sometimes twice a day. If it isn't oatmeal, then it's something else whole wheat like toast or an english muffin (I don't do pasta). This hasn't stalled my weight loss at all. In fact, it's been a fairly fast moving weight loss and very consistent. I also eat brown rice a few times a week. Everyone's body can respond differently to different things, so experimenting and finding what works best for your body is good. For me, oats and little to some wheat works. :o)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am still relatively new to eating clean, so my focus is still on replacing processed foods for more natural, wholesome foods. And because of that switch, I do eat less grains and wheat.

As for maintaining... I am in maintenance, eat clean(er) but still consume quite a bit of whole wheat and grains and I'm actually losing weight. So I'm guessing, for me, that grains and wheats are not an issue when it comes to weight loss and/or maintenance.

In the future, once I have a better grasp of eating clean, I am hoping to cut back on the grains and wheat because I know they are not always the best choice.