zumbaforever
zumbaforever Posts: 6,899 Member
May 12th -- May 18th
Stretch or Yoga, 30 minutes on
May 17th, Rest on May 18th

Second Challenge
(Start May 12th)
Punches with exaggerated twist to warm up 45 seconds:
Lunges: Do 10 lunges on each leg, repeat X 1 (add weights, a bar or dumbbells are fine)
Planks: Do each of the following for 40 seconds
Side Plank, Center Plank, Side Plank, then ten sit-ups (do bicycles if more is needed for sit-ups)
Repeat the Planks and Sit-ups one more time
Rows & Curls, do 1 set of 10 for each exercise, repeat X 1
Arnold Presses, do two sets of 10, rest 30 seconds between sets
Flys & Kickbacks, do 1 set of 10 for each exercise, repeat X 1

Mason (Russian) Twists For 40 seconds, feet should remain off the ground during the entire time
Lunges 10 lunges on each leg, repeat, (add weights, a weighted bar or dumbbells are fine)
Rolling Planks: Right side, then center, then Left side. Hold each position for about 5 seconds. Repeat for one minute
Bicycles for 30 seconds
Do each of the following for 40 seconds, SIDE PLANK, CENTER PLANK, SIDE PLANK
Bicycles for 30 seconds
Bent Over Rows & Seated concentration curls. Do 1 set of 10 reps for each exercise, repeat X 1
Arnold Presses, do two sets of 10, rest 30 seconds between sets
Flys (use dumbbells) & Skull crushers,( use either a bar (best option) or dumbbells). Do 1 set of 10 reps for each exercise, repeat X 1

Kyle Brayer has a really good, short video showing how to do a proper Seated Concentration Curl.

First Challenge
(Start May 13th)
50 Jumping Jacks
30 Squats
10 Burpees
15 Pushups
40 Mtn. Climbers

Repeat One Time (This is the same as last week)

Alternate these two Challenges for five days. On day six do either a 30 minute stretch or 20-30 minutes of yoga.
Then "Rest" on day 7. Walking is ok for day 7. But all bodies need a day of rest to adequately prepare for the next week.

Replies

• zumbaforever
    Options
    I found what is called the Simmons Press. It is a dumbbell version of the skull crushers. Hold the dumbbell in your hands, palms facing inwards. While lying down, like you would for a skull crushes, keeping elbows in tight, bring the dumbbells down to your ears. No crushing your skull with this version. :)

Shelley
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Have been very busy today. As I know you have most likely also. :) I did today's challenge. It was a fun change. Loved the Simmons presses. Did then right after the flys without resting. Used 15 pounders. Ouch! Lol. Well running again. Will write more later. Hope you had a happy mothers day also. :)

Shelley
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,444 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I hope you had a great day too!!

I walked 4 miles with Sara and Bean this morning then came home and did our 15 burpee challenge. I didn't realize until I came on just now that you had today as our start date for the newest challenge, so it's on my list for tomorrow. I did the 30DS L2D2 and Coffee-Meyers Upper Body workout. I am sore! I was using 8 pounders for the first rounds of 30DS and some of the Coffee-Meyer exercises but the second rounds were lower weights. My biggest news is that I did 10 regular push ups and 10 knee push ups on both rounds of our challenge!! I'm working on it. It's hard though.

Thirty years ago I had an aneurism of the descending aorta. They cut from my side across and up my back through my ribs to get to it. I'm assuming they messed with the muscles too. I have never worked my back or arms until now, and I'm wondering if that surgery has anything to do with my lack of strength or it's just the fact I've never done this type of exercising before. Anyway, I'm slowly building up to regular pushups and heavier weights.

I have a step plank that I use in the house that I can use for any exercise that I would need a bench for. The Simmons for example!! I just thought of that! It'll be high enough off the ground. :happy: <-- this is me being happy!!

I am totally impressed that you were able to do the Simmons and flys with 15 pounders! I cry using the 8's! Totally impressed! Excellent job!

The kids and Bean came over for dinner and we just hung out for a while. It was great!

I'll be back tomorrow. Have a good Monday!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    That is so awesome using the 8's for your first round! What a beast you are becoming. :) The surgery did cut muscles for sure. They are probably long since healed though. Not sure what effects it otherwise might have on workouts. A doctor could tell you maybe. I had a C-section years ago. Belly button down. Still have had a six pack at one time after that. So we can do this. You will need a new goal before you know it. :) Happy dance. Congratulations on the push-ups. Woohoo

The bench can be used for the flys also. And I am going to toss in some lower arm work in also. I think it could be added anywhere you are not doing a lot of upper body work. Right after a back or leg workout for instance. My upper arms are looking so good it makes my lower ones look like pencils! Yuch. Glad you and the family had such a great time. Have to run before work calls. LOL

Great progress you. :) And my triceps are feeling those Simmons presses today. Love the burn!

Shelley
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    I got our challenge DONE. Lol, did the 15 burpee one, still on my toes for the pushups. Doing tricep push-ups when doing the burpees still. I also added some really light wrist curls at the end of both sets. These work your lower arms and wrists. I injured my right wrist years ago and it does not like this exercise. Was a favorite before that. So I am starting really low, using some weights that I use when doing tae bo. No more than a pound or pound and a half each.

Hope you enjoy the new challenge Chris. I have mixed feelings on the rotating planks, got my heart rate up though. Lol

Shelley
  • lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

I have only been MIA on the computer. I had to plan and execute a banquet for my son's high school band program and many other end of the year school activities. I have been making it to the gym and getting in these work outs.

I did the new workout today....WHEW! I really felt strong today and used 10 and 12 pounders for the exercises and I added 25 bench presses with 50 lbs. I might not like it tomorrow but as of now I feel pretty good. I also did my boxing class.

Looks like we are all still going strong and making progress. Wishing you a great week.

I am reading "The New Rules of Weightlifting for Women"...very slowly. I will let you know if is has anything new.

Jennifer
  • cpanus
    Options
    Great job, ladies!

Jennifer -- I'm impressed with your bench presses.

Shelley -- I hope your wrist is doing okay.

I got our new challenge done today, and I used 8 pounders all the way through to the Simmons Presses when I switched it to 6ers because by that time I couldn't control the downward motion of the 8's. And like you said, Jennifer, I might not like it tomorrow, but I feel pretty good right now! I like the new challenge, but I not real crazy about the rolling planks. I need to work on them because they are clumsy and pretty much all over the mat! The step plank worked out well for the flys and Simmons. I laid my yoga mat over the top to cover the ridges. It worked out great!

I walked 4.04 miles in 59 minutes and worked out for an hour. I didn't do 30DS or Coffee-Meyer. I am happy with my hour!!!

It's time to find my pillow.

TTYT

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    You two are burning it up. :) And yes, those rolling planks can be clumsy. We could toss them out. But if so I was thinking of going back to 30 second center planks, with raising one foot off the mat. :) Awesome work out there Chris, 8 pounders most of the way. Woohoo, and a walk in. Great job. :)

Jennifer so nice to see you again. Yes, awesome job on the bench press. :) Was it a standard wide grip or a narrow grip? And a boxing class really works the back muscles. You might want to up your rows a bit. Then your boxing class will feel like a breeze. :)

I did the challenge today with the same weights I did on Sunday. Might be upping my row a little by Wednesday. It was so hot yesterday when I got home that I struggled with our first challenge. Felt really yuchy, but I knew it was just the heat so pushed through anyways. So I did todays challenge at the crack of DAWN. Mark it DONE! LOL

Have a great day ladies. :)
  • cpanus
    Options
    Got the 15 burpee challenge done with 10 regular push ups and 10 knee push ups. They aren't deep, only about 1/2 way, but I'm getting there! Boy, howdy! are my legs sore! Both of them! bwahahah! Feels so good! Got in 30DS L2D3, Coffee-Meyer's Lower Body Workout, and other challenges, then went over to the school with SO and Bean for some run around and play!

Shelley - I went from 8's to 6's to 5's today. It was a riot! I was so full of myself yesterday and full of tears today! I would love to see the rolling planks disappear. I could raise one foot off the mat as a trade-off. I can't imagine doing my workout that early. Way to get it done!

It was a good Tuesday. Have a great Wednesday!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Weights are a funny thing. You could be doing to much if you are not resting them enough. Switch the rolling planks out for the ones with raises. It is your body, listen to it. You may have to alternate the leg that is up for awhile. Ten seconds a side or so at first. They are tough. So your lower body workout is paying off, that is great. I need to do the stretch or yoga for sure this week. Getting all tight. We finished planting some flowers last night. I will be doing the 15 burpee challenge tonight. No time this morning. Then taking the boys for a walk.

Great job Chris, that is alot of challenges. :)

Shelley
  • lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Did the challenge with the burpees yesterday and ran several errands...somewhere between errands and sitting in my car waiting for school dismissal, I strained my back. :( It doesn't bother me when I sit or lay down, only when standing and walking. Needless to say I did not do the weights today, I did go to my class and did very low impact moves and NO sit-ups. I was able to still get nice and sweaty. I hope it I take it easy for a few days it will work itself out and I keep on going.

Chris and Shelley, you two are a constant motivation and I am striving to keep up with you!

Jennifer
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    I am glad you were able to get sweaty. I so hate injuring myself. :( I hope you get better soon. I cannot workout as planned today. Cooper insists I hold him. We are having thunder storms. But on the bright side, he is really cuddly. :)

See you all tomorrow

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Jennifer -- I'm so sorry about your back. I just got over a nasty back muscle strain not too long ago. I hope you're feeling better real soon.

Shelley -- Was there lightning with those thunder storms? Cooper's a smart pup!

I did our new challenge with 8's through most of it. I had to go to 6's on the second set of flys. Did a couple of little challenges and walked with Sara and Bean for an hour. Our weather was perfect. Tomorrow is supposed to rain and be in the 70's. We'll see. Hawaii weather if you ask me!!

Tomorrow is my REST DAY. I might take Bean over to the school to play in the grass and sprinklers. I'll do the stretching DVD.

TTYT

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Yes, thunder, lots of booms. Good thing I got home in time. 8's for most of it? Simply awesome. So inspirational. We did get a walk in late tonight. It cleared up and was cool. So all of us got to walk. :) Have a great rest day. :) Glad we both are able to let our four legged kids run and play.

Shelley
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Got it done before 0630 this morning. Did the 13 burpee challenge and added in two sets of weights for my forearms again. Still keeping it low. Did five pounds dumbbells for the first ones and then used a bar. Not sure how much the bar weighed. But so needed to get in the forearms. Going walking tonight. Such a great day. Hope your day is great also. :)

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Well, I pulled a muscle Tuesday doing flys with the 8's. The first set was fine, no problem...I don't know what I did, but I felt the pull on the second set...front right side, at my arm pit. I rested yesterday, so there was no issue. It was fine until I got to the mtn. climbers today and then...OUCH! So I finish the 15 burpee challenge with only the JJ's , squats and a few burpees because I couldn't do them. I did some ab work then Coffee-Meyer's Upper Body. Funny, but I could do most of those exercises using 5 & 6's...sitting flys are okay...laying down flys, I can't do. No pushups. I got in 60 minutes and then we walked Bean for a while. I am so bummed!! But I'm not giving up!

I should be able to manage everything in our new challenge tomorrow w/lighter weights EXCEPT the planks!! Way to get out of them, don't you think??? I'll just have to give everything a try. I'll walk with Sara and Bean in the morning then do all my challenges then go shopping!!

It's been beautiful here, too. It's supposed to warm up over the weekend. The breeze keeps it nice.

I hope your weekend is wonderful!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Could you have gone back to far? Are you keeping your elbows slightly bent? I so hate injuries. They really bum me out. :( Take your time letting it heal. If it is just pulled a bit it will hurt, but heal stronger. Crossing my fingers that is it.

Love your push up efforts. Soon you will be going down further. After you heal of course. Sitting flys work your shoulders mostly. They do not stretch the armpits. You could try to do the flys laying down with no weights. More of just a stretch, but only going down to the point where it just becomes uncomfortable. Lol, I know secretly you will miss the planks. :) Try icing the area where it hurts. Skip all chest exercises. Do some extra lunges. Curls should be ok, standing and arms tight into your side's.

Enjoy your walk with Sara and Bean tomorrow. And shopping of course. :) I will be going on vacation soon. I will make sure to finish out this month's challenges for us. Then you can start them over for June, even take out the rolling planks, LOL. I have to go shopping for a few things to take with me to Oregon. I really would love to find a belt with lots of bling. :)

Enjoy the weekend and baby that shoulder.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Maybe I did go back too far. My elbows were slightly bent. It will be okay. It's like the back muscle I pulled, some moves bother it, some don't.

Got our challenge DONE this afternoon. No planks and no flys. Everything else was fine. I did try the lying down flys without weights but the muscle didn't like that at all. I did the skull crushers without weights, too...I guess you can't call them skull crushers then, can you? Didn't end up walking with Sara or Bean today. It just didn't work out. I spent a lot of time on challenges though. I'm hoping we all walk in the morning.

It was a beautiful day today. Sunny and breezy.

Hope you found your belt! Have a great Sunday!!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    I did our yoga yesterday and walked the boys. Ran into some friends and we walked quite a ways. Didn't time it or anything. Just had fun. Today it is raining. Bummer. Company has come and gone. We has a lovely breakfast at my home together. Then I had to go practice at the range for qualifications Wednesday. If I don't go and practice I stress out and can't shoot worth beans. But got the practice in, it was raining. LOL My hand gun was slippery, but I managed to not drop it. :P

So I will be back in form tomorrow. Hope you have a great Sunday. :)

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Sounds like your Sunday was full of fun and gun fire!! I'm glad you didn't drop your gun...they probably give you demerits for that, don't they?? Do you have to qualify every year? I've gone to the range once in my life...it was very loud, and I couldn't hit dukey!

Our weather is pretty nice today. Windy as all get out, but the sun is bright and the sky is blue. Please keep the rain on your side of the country. ~;-P Walked with Sara and Bean this morning. I'm trying to decide if this is a DO NOTHING day or if I'm going to get up and workout. I might just go walk again.

The new challenge looks good. Thanks for doing it.

Have a good great Sunday evening and a good Monday.

Chris