Vegan vs vegan diet

Options
sarahhorrigan
sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
I read a comment recently that said something about 'a vegan diet' being different to being vegan. What does anyone reckon? Are you still vegan if you 'lapse' from time to time? I tend to think that if you eat any animal products you can't really call yourself vegan - but you might say that you follow a vegan diet for most of the time. But, I'm guessing from the recent thread on eating meat that other people who are part of this group don't have that same definition.

So... are you a vegan if you still occasionally eat animal products?

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i agree that calling oneself vegan if u occasionally eat NON vegan items is inaccurate, misleading, and ultimately weakens the cause of fighting animal suffering and oppression.

also, maybe some people follow a 'vegan diet' for health or weight reasons, and would not object to, say, wearing leather shoes, or buying bunny-rabbit-tested mascara.

i support all moves toward eating vegan, even if the person only does so part of the time. and some people are more motivated by health.

for me, my strongest motivator is ethics. my veganism is a hard-line approach (in my own life) and an integral part of who i am.
    that being said, i am surprisingly relaxed about it when talking with non-vegans: giving the facts, yes...but also making jokes, and basically "meeting people where they ARE". i like to think that, after talking with me, the meat eater leaves thinking, "hmmmm...i guess vegans CAN be nice and not insane".

but deep down, i feel super strongly about it :)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Someone mentioned in another thread that not all people who are Vegan do it for ethical reasons..

I would say there not really vegan but follow a plant based diet?

I don't know I just always assumed people who are Vegan do it mainly for the Ethical side of life. Could be wrong!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I do eat vegan, for the most part, but I don't call myself a vegan, one reason is I'm not a fan of being labeled with titles because most people assume I can't do something. I'm eating this way for purely dietary reasons, and my understanding to call yourself a "vegan" means no animal products whatsoever, including clothing and not even eating honey for some.
    I'm fine with saying "I eat plant based" personally.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I consider myself vegan, even though I'm not always a strict label reader, even though my main reason for becoming vegan wasn't ethical. Shockingly, I even eat honey.

I became vegan for my physical health, for my spiritual health, for the planet's health. I believe non-violence is an unattainable ideal that is nevertheless worth striving toward. That's why I am a bit dismayed at the small fraction of ethical vegans that seem to be so judgmental. There are not only violent deeds, but violent speech as well.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I decided to follow a vegan diet for health reasons. I mean I obviously care about animals and before I started I was a vegetarian for 15 years. But I think a real vegan is the one that not only eats vegan, but make ssure that all their cosmetics and clothing are vegan too.
  • chillmcgren
    chillmcgren Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I went vegan to limit my environmental impact. I try to search out and use vegan hair/skin/cleaning products. Currently I have a lot of leather products that I have mixed feelings about since 1) I've had them forever and I don't want to contribute to waste since they are still serviceable and 2) pretty much everything I buy comes from thrift stores so. . . partly back to reason 1 and also the purchase to suffering correlation is lessened. But I'm probably not a "true" vegan since I eat honey.
  • HillCattt
    HillCattt Posts: 5
    Options
    Veganism is not just a diet, it's a lifestyle that aims to avoid the exploitation of animals which includes not eating, wearing etc. animal derived products or products that are based on the exploitation of animals.

Any step towards this is positive and welcome, i,e. a plat based diet, but I think we should keep the definition fairly strict, to avoid it being watered down as the definition of vegetarian has become.

Cheers,
    HC
  • kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    I call myself Vegan.

I don't wear leather, buy animal based, or tested products, but I did have a slip at my favorite mexican place and had some cheese dip. T

hat being said- I've only been doing this from September and hearing that I shouldn't call myself vegan because of that slip is both frustrating and disheartening. I'm doing the best that I can, but I'm human and still learning. I don't think that one slip should take away from what I've been working toward all of these months (yes I know months isn't as long as most of you).

Explaining that I don't wear any animals or use any products containing or tested on animals and live buy a plant based diet 99.99999 percent of the time seems like an excessive explanation. Does it take something away from you because you've never slipped if -I call myself vegan and I tasted cheese once in the past 9 months?

Encourage people to do better, be happy if someone is good 99.9999 percent of the time because that's better then most of the world's efforts. Encouraging a person and helping them will do better for helping make more Vegans then talk like this will. But that's just my two cents and I'm just a newbie non animal wearing, non animal product using, plant based diet 99.9999 percent of the time person.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Does it take something away from you because you've never slipped
    I think they're worried they'll lose their vegan super powers. I've been a vegetarian over twenty years, and vegan for most of it, but come to find out on this forum that apparently I'm not vegan enough. *shrug*
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'm just a newbie non animal wearing, non animal product using, plant based diet 99.9999 percent of the time person.

That's catchy! I really think that will catch on. I'm more of a 95% person myself. So you are 4.9999% more vegan than me!

Actually, I'm fine with a strict definition. I am 100% never-even-consider-eating-meat vegetarian and don't like it when people who eat fish or occasional chicken call themselves vegetarian. It does dilute the meaning. It probably depends on the context in which you are using the word though.
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    it gets confusing, but I considered myself a strict ethical vegan (no food slips, leather, honey, animal testing products, etc, etc well I try the best I can) although if somebody asked me I would just say vegan and not go into it!

I went vegan for animal rights but I understand how people do it purely for health reasons and now that I am trying to become healthier I probably would of ended up on this path anyway.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Honestly. As long as we're all trying to make a difference its better than the guy over there eating all of the bacon.
  • JackiePenner
    JackiePenner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Honestly. As long as we're all trying to make a difference its better than the guy over there eating all of the bacon.

'In between mouthfuls of bacon, I'm completely vegan' :laugh:

Ta for everyone's thoughts on this - have really enjoyed reading them. I know I used to find it a bit annoying when I was vegetarian that I'd go places and have fish presented as the vegetarian option with the classic 'but my friend is vegetarian and *she* eats fish' as the reasoning. It always just made what should be fairly straightforward be more complicated. In lots of ways being vegan is easier - it's pretty clear cut as to what that means, I guess I was just a bit surprised when I saw people making a distinction between 'vegan diet' and being vegan.

S :smile:
  • ohtheveganity
    ohtheveganity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A vegan diet and veganism are very different. You can follow a vegan diet, but still wear things like leather and use non cruelty-free products and such in the other areas of your life. Veganism is the attempt to minimize animals suffering in all ways possible and practical. I think that last part is overlooked sometimes. Just because you get a flu shot does not mean that you are automatically not vegan because the vaccination comes from birds. It is not practical for some people depending on where they live and their lifestyle to not be vaccinated for the flu. It's about doing as much as you can to help animals. For example, I use vegan products for everything that is mine personally--shampoo, conditioner, lotion, face wash, soap, toothpaste, etc. However, I live at home with my parents and use the non-vegan household cleaners that they buy, because I'm 18 and in high school and I simply don't have the money to be buying my own more expensive vegan versions. I still consider myself vegan because I am taking all the steps that I possibly could right now in preventing animal cruelty.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think the topic should be "plant based diet vs vegan".
  • kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    The Vegan Committee should have put the rules, regulations and membership requirements in place before all of the Vegan Cookbooks were labeled. I don't have a single one that says "Plant based diet cookbook". I think there is a difference between one slip up in months or years vs intentionally eating non vegan food randomly. I don't even think I want to be labeled vegan anymore it's starting to feel like certain stereotypes are true.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    This is a controversial topic! I'm keeping my opinion to myself to avoid confrontation..
    *slowly backs out...
  • HotGraham4985
    HotGraham4985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    IMO.. It would confuse people even more if I told them, "I'm on a plant based diet." as opposed to " I'm Vegan." Because they have at least heard the term, even if they don't fully understand it. But the other lends itself to a potential follow up question. So unless it's someone I want to actually talk to.. I'm just going to stick to saying I'm vegan. This "not vegan enough" talk is why the sterotypes exist.
  • spiritcentral
    spiritcentral Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Actually, I'm fine with a strict definition. I am 100% never-even-consider-eating-meat vegetarian and don't like it when people who eat fish or occasional chicken call themselves vegetarian. It does dilute the meaning. It probably depends on the context in which you are using the word though.

With a 100% adherence definition- NO ONE is vegan or should use that name.
    Questions to ask yourselves- if making one mistake in a 9 month window makes a person not meet the 100% mark, then clearly the past counts. How far back in the past? And who decides that? When you were a baby, or a young child did your parents give you cow's milk or meat? Did you ever eat Milk Chocolate? If so you weren't' vegan then, so you couldn't be now. You would never be at that 100% measure.
    Can you see how imposing a standard definition makes no sense?

I think people should do the best they can based upon their beliefs. I eat a plant-based diet which IS vegan, but I don't call myself vegan because I refuse to be held to some ridiculous standard of so-called perfection that someone else has decided is good for them and everyone else too.

I personally find the vegan "culture" way too pretentious and judgmental. I'll stick with "plant-based".