Really getting more frustrated every week

Options
2»

Replies

• WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    In trying to figure all this out, I'm making myself log EVERYTHING even if I've gone way over or lost my mind in a bag of Oreos. I figure that being honest with myself will help in figuring out patterns.

laughing at the bar of oreos...!
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do loves me some Oreos when I'm stressed out! Must be the peasant in me... :wink:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks heybales. I will drop some more and see what happens! I think my body is pretty efficient at holding onto its reserves. Even when I've been very active (hiking all day for field work, etc) my weight doesn't drop easily. So maybe I'm one of those people for which calories in is absolutely the most important thing to control and exercise hardly makes a dent.

boo :grumble:

Well, walking is a pretty efficient activity and doesn't burn much and mostly is fat, unless you have like extra 100-150 you are carrying, either on you or backpack.

Usually what it means if body is good at holding on to reserves, is the body gets stressed easily and in response metabolism drops and you don't burn what you could be burning.

You listed a lot of stresses there. Stress and the hormone changes fight fat and weight loss.

You control and lessen the stresses you can, for those you can't, you make others less stressful to balance them.

When I worked nights oh so long ago, it was given as a tip that food can always make up for sleep. And it can to a pretty good extent, because you are trading stresses. Though the lack of sleep will eventually get to ya.

But that has been true through the years. Intense exercise, food deficit better not be a stress. Intense enough, better have none.
    Lack of sleep or other stress, back off intense exercise and make it light.
    Now, I could probably investigate some potential food allergies or dislikes too, and probably discover something I'm eating is a stress to some level, no matter how minor.
    But get rid of that, I could take on more stress elsewhere.

That's why the eating clean works for so many. Their deficit was too great causing stress, but at least they got rid of the food stress on the body. Balance.

Then, you mess with all that, and you still may slow your system down anyway.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    I do loves me some Oreos when I'm stressed out! Must be the peasant in me... :wink:

Delicious partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. Suddenly, I want oreos. Or maybe an oreo blizzard would suffice.
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really think different things do work for different people. Eating more didn't work for me, I gained and felt miserable (even though it was a slight gain) and fluctuated within the same couple of kilos for a couple of months. Over the last couple of weeks, I have tried out a 5:2 fasting approach - now, I love my food, so I haven't been able to do the 500 calorie days, but even with just a couple of weeks of eating at maintenance but two days at 1000 calorie, the weights started to shift again and my clothes are feeling looser. I am back in the "60's" (kilos) for the first time in years. That in itself provides motivation I wasn't getting when my weight wouldn't budge. Because 5 days are at maintenance there aren't the usual energy slumps or fatigue associated with dieting, either.

Just my two cents. I wasn't prepared to spend six months at a weight I wasn't happy with to try and 'reset' my body when there's no guarantee the weight would eventually shift. Please bear in mind that EVERYONE's evidence here is anecdotal - what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. I love the idea of eating more to weigh less but, in practice, it just didn't stir my soup. As I get closer to my goal I expect I will drop to one low calorie day per week and then eventually taper off so it's all at maintenance.

Best wishes and success for whichever route you decide to go down.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    I love the idea of eating more to weigh less but, in practice, it just didn't stir my soup.

I am going to start using this phrase!! hehe.

Yeah, I have been trying and playing with numbers since autumn. Hell, if it's true that I'm eating above my TDEE (and gaining weight) then I probably have already completed a reset!

The idea of a day a week of fasting really intrigues me. It might be something to help me along a bit since I love eating "more" but my "more" is too much (maybe then Thai food night wouldn't sink my battleship?!)!

I really appreciate everyone's feedback (i.e. sympathy lol) and if any of you are looking for friends on here, please add me. Meanwhile, I'm feeling better today after melting down yesterday and will persevere. Actually a little embarrassed at how much I let my weight get to me. :embarassed: I will continue running and lifting and eating just a little bit less.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The eating more to weigh less is a poor choice of phrase, but the clearer meaning is too long and not as catching.

Eat more than bare recommended minimum for sedentary and eat more and exercise to lose fat weight.

It was the answer for those eating the 1200 intended for sedentary minimum goals to get nutrition requirements in. Not to see body improvements from exercise, nor maintain muscle mass.

And everybody loses weight eating less then their TDEE.

Now, their selection of TDEE level may be very off, and for a time they may have suppressed their metabolism so bad the estimates of TDEE are bad too.

But everybody loses if you eat below TDEE. Too much and almost everyone will suffer bad consequences unless they are doing a bunch of stuff really right, enough protein and resistance exercise to retain muscle mass, and their stress levels from other things aren't impacting their hormones too.

You might also try skipping breakfast on days where pre-lunch will me sitting, that may more calories available later in day.
    That's a partial IF, though not much.
    If you workout first thing in am or are active, then light snack to get the blood sugar up, light breakfast afterwards, later lunch, no snack, later dinner and bigger.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    I'm far too lazy for morning workouts but I aspire to them! I already eat a small breakfast (~300 cals) but it might help me to save them for later in the day!!

Yeah, I see what you're saying about everyone will lose below their TDEE. The hard part is knowing how long to wait to decide whether or not the TDEE estimate is correct or not. When a person has quite a lot to lose (ahem, moi) she may be a little excitable about not making progress.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i hear you... been there....over a year ago. threw my hands up and went back to what has always worked for me...with the added vinyasa yoga 4x a week. eating less and moving more.

eating 'more' to make it to the hypothetical TDEE based on calculators and BMF did not work for me. i gained the entire time. i did, like you, see strength gains which was great. BUT i have kept those gains (!) even by eating less.

i practice IF with a 18/6 window every day. love it. complete freedom for me.
    Which link do you follow for vinayasa yoga?