My pof profile: Suggestions?

Options
Meghan0116
Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
I am getting ready to post my new profile and I would like some suggestions. Thank you! I really appreciate it. :)

Below is my pof profile. I haven't hit submit yet. Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

So, I am not really that self-centered but I do think I am pretty awesome. Well at least my mom tells me I am. haha

Let's see, I am 32 years old and am a single mom. I work full-time at a job I off and on love/hate but mostly it is very fulfilling. I thoroughly enjoy being a mother, even on those days where a small part of me wants to put him up for sale on ebay. I think I am pretty funny. Well, my son and I think I am funny. It is hit and miss otherwise. lol

I am a gym rat. I am running a 5k coming up in DC and will hopefully be doing the Rock and Roll Marathon in Virginia Beach. Okay, the mini marathon but still. I am not where I want to be with my physical fitness but I am working really hard to get there. I probably go to the gym 4-5 days a week. This is my quiet time. I am looking forward to eventually working up the nerve to use the Smith Machine.

My taste is music is relatively eclectic but mainly I listen to hardcore melodic rock. I love horror movies but tend to have the worst nightmares after. I am not scared of too much but I will run from a daddy long leg. Blegh! Gives me the willies even writing that. lol I don't mind outdoorsy activities, actually I really enjoy being outside, but I don't camp. Nope. Blair Witch, as awful as it was, freaked me the hell out.

As for what I am looking for in a partner, I would have to say someone with a good sense of humor, intelligent, able to carry on conversations, and generally fun to be around. I am a giver and expect the same in return from the person I am dating. Right now, I am not ready to jump into a full on relationship but hopefully dating will be fun.

So, here is a brief synopsis of me. :)

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Smith machines are pretty much only good for pull-ups, inverted bodyweight rows and chinups. Oh and you can stretch up against them. Most of the men on POF that are going to be fitness-inclined are going to read that and be like OH GOD - NEXT.

Just a heads up, I would trade Smith Machine for barbell.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

I would trade Smith Machine for barbell.

yes!!!!
  • Meghan0116
    Options
    Thank you!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I personally am not a fan of people saying they're funny in their profile. SHOW me your funny. And don't laugh at yourself.

Someone writing, "I'm obsessed with Hardcore Melodic Rock (whatever that is) like Candace Flynn is obsessed with busting her brothers." is going to tell me a hell of a lot more about someone than, "My friends think I'm pretty cool and laid back."
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    As for what I am looking for in a partner, I would have to say someone with a good sense of humor, intelligent, able to carry on conversations, and generally fun to be around. I am a giver and expect the same in return from the person I am dating. Right now, I am not ready to jump into a full on relationship but hopefully dating will be fun.

The first part of this paragraph is pretty much so vague that it is worthless. Who is going to read that and say damn I am dumb, unfunny, can't talk about anything, and totally miserable to be around?

The sentence about not wanting anything serious but hoping dating will be fun says either a) I am just looking for some guys for NSA fun, or b) I am hoping to find a bunch of guys to kiss my *kitten*, wine me and dine me, and otherwise make feel special but you shouldn't expect anything in return.

I'd suggest being far less vague and far more specific about what you are looking for in a guy and out of dating.
  • Meghan0116
    Options
    Hmmmm, okay. Do I need to add what I am looking for in a guy? I always find it a bit ridiculous.

I am not looking for NSA or to have my *kitten* kissed. I haven't found dating to be terribly enjoyable so I was hoping for just some fun times. I didn't want to put that though. lol
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, okay. Do I need to add what I am looking for in a guy? I always find it a bit ridiculous.

I am not looking for NSA or to have my *kitten* kissed. I haven't found dating to be terribly enjoyable so I was hoping for just some fun times. I didn't want to put that though. lol

I find it hard to describe what I want. I usually leave it off.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I'd leave it off. Someone could have all of those qualities and you would still not be interested. If you have something TRULY specific you're looking for list that....

Drug or Alcohol Free
    Childless
    No Tatoos
    Sloppy Drunk
    Harley Rider
    Heavily tattooed with only one leg a giant plus.

Ya know, If you have a REQUIREMENT, list that *LOL*

My requirement right now is... this:

alex2.jpg
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Ehhhhhh...I really don't like the writing style, very choppy & doesn't flow...for example - "I work full-time at a job I off and on love/hate but mostly it is very fulfilling" sounds terrible, say "I have a love/hate relationship with my job, but overall it is very fulfilling". And elaborate on what it is or what you love/hate about it, don't just say you work full time at a job. And its "hit OR miss" - not and.

Go over it a few times for grammar/flow. And I really dislike the first sentence, don't say that, and don't say "haha". And don't say you are funny - if you are funny, it will come through. And dont' say you hope dating will be fun. Maybe add more about what you like to do, what your life is like, etc.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'd leave it off. Someone could have all of those qualities and you would still not be interested. If you have something TRULY specific you're looking for list that....

Drug or Alcohol Free
    Childless
    No Tatoos
    Sloppy Drunk
    Harley Rider
    Heavily tattooed with only one leg a giant plus.

Ya know, If you have a REQUIREMENT, list that *LOL*

My requirement right now is... this:

alex2.jpg

male-model-alex-minsky-by-michael-stokes-04.jpg
  • Meghan0116
    Options
    Yes, I did realize that it sounded disjointed. I have made some corrections. The first line is in response to my headline, which you could not have known.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Ehhhhhh...I really don't like the writing style, very choppy & doesn't flow...for example - "I work full-time at a job I off and on love/hate but mostly it is very fulfilling" sounds terrible, say "I have a love/hate relationship with my job, but overall it is very fulfilling". And elaborate on what it is or what you love/hate about it, don't just say you work full time at a job. And its "hit OR miss" - not and.

Go over it a few times for grammar/flow. And I really dislike the first sentence, don't say that, and don't say "haha". And don't say you are funny - if you are funny, it will come through. And dont' say you hope dating will be fun. Maybe add more about what you like to do, what your life is like, etc.
    I agree with all of this.

also:
    I don't mind outdoorsy activities, actually I really enjoy being outside, but I don't camp.
    Try to be more specific, what do you like?
    Right now, I am not ready to jump into a full on relationship but hopefully dating will be fun.
    I wouldn't put this unless you want a bunch of guys emailing you that only want sex. Well, you'll probably get that either way but when you say you don't want a relationship and just want to have fun, to me that means you want some NSA nookie.
    I love horror movies but tend to have the worst nightmares after.
    This is a good start, but I would improve on it by saying "I love scary movies even though they make me scream like a 12 year old girl." Something like that, you said you were funny so be funny.
    As for what I am looking for in a partner, I would have to say someone with a good sense of humor, intelligent, able to carry on conversations, and generally fun to be around.
    This is a little vague, either get rid of this or set the bar a little higher.

I'd also get rid of any lols or hahas. I think they make people sound dumb and more immature than they actually are.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Wait? Is this a dating site profile?

Don't say all that.
    Keep it short and sweet.
    Men could really care less about all that talking. It tells them right off the rip your chatty.
    Men just want to know a few things.
    Id go with
    Confident
    Lover of Fitness
    Family Values
    Parent
    Free Spirit.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Wait? Is this a dating site profile?

Don't say all that.
    Keep it short and sweet.
    Men could really care less about all that talking. It tells them right off the rip your chatty.
    Men just want to know a few things.
    Id go with
    Confident
    Lover of Fitness
    Family Values
    Parent
    Free Spirit.
    Warning: the following post may contain sarcasm.

You nailed it.

ME... NO... READ... PROFILES!
    Too... big... number... word.
    Me... love... you... confident. Stop.
    No... read... further.

Or for example, copy and paste this profile here:

"Well, I never know what to write in those boxes. Lol.
    My profile is short and sweet, like me. I'm looking for Mr Right. Are there any decent men on here? Don't even contact me if your looking just for one thing.

I hate liars, cheaters and bad people.
    I like music, good people and having fun.

First date:
    Surprise me."

Then sprinkle a few pictures of yourself in lingerie.

Then you can pray that a decent but illiterate man who doesn't care about all that talking and who has not intention to ever chat to you will knock on your door. Or alternatively you can complain that all men are @ssholes.

PS: more seriously, what Roadie said.
  • yoovie
    Options

yeah lol dont be letting them know you have your own thoughts and opinions and and stuff and dont you dare come off as the kind of girl that would be good conversation. NOPE - nip that shiz now before he figures out you're interesting!!!! Youre only supposed to be a prop for breeding :heart:
  • odusgolp
    Options

yeah lol dont be letting them know you have your own thoughts and opinions and and stuff and dont you dare come off as the kind of girl that would be good conversation. NOPE - nip that shiz now before he figures out you're interesting!!!! Youre only supposed to be a prop for breeding :heart:

^^QFT

WTF? Be yourself. If you're chatty, be chatty, ffs.
  • Cp731
    Options

^^QFT

WTF? Be yourself. If you're chatty, be chatty, ffs.

Hhaha!! Im sorry, that's just my opinion..I wasn't trying to be negative..Disregard if that's not something you agree with.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Cp731
    Options

I never said we are only good for breeding, Gosh..take it easy
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think you need to add in...

I have a psycho kitty
    I like to play naughty jenga
    and often bras are hanging from my ceiling fan. :)

Wait... is that revealing too much?
  • yoovie
    Options

I never said we are only good for breeding, Gosh..take it easy

oh, no babe - that is me that said that in the quote.