Proof in the swell!

Options
natesangel
natesangel Posts: 210 Member
or rather lack there of!! so this is a HUGE NSV, although not mine, it's my moms!! last monday she turned 60, has MS, is in a wheelchair (but can stand to transfer etc) and has lost over 50lbs since last summer by listening to me (listening to you all!) and up'ing her cals from 1200!! now what i wasn't aware was that was the only thing she did :( and she went a little too high and didn't maintain (750 some days, 2000 others)
so when i went out to see her last week, i checked some numbers!!! thank you again for that great spreadsheet set up!! found her bmr 1503 (she was shocked!) got her OFF slim fast everything and since she's stubborn, switched her to protein powder and bars instead (seriously those slim fast ones are gross)
WELL! after only 4 days of level eating, more variety of veg (broccoli instead of iceberg lettuce, etc!) SHE TOOK STEPS! with her left foot, it hasn't worked in 3 years!!!! she's feeling better than she has in forever, the home support workers can't believe the change, and the best part… her feet swell to over inflated black and blue balloons usually, THEY HAVEN'T! the swelling has gone down, the colour is almost back to normal!
three simple changes; vary the colours of veggies, level out the calories (due to sedentary, she's at 1600/day), and increase the protein and my mother is feeling well enough to get back into the pool and go back to the special gym!

THANK YOU EM2WL for being here and helping me learn and make changes to show my mom that it works!!! you've helped to improve the quality and quantity of life of an older woman who wants to be there for her granddaughter and now will be!!!!

Replies

• laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    That's incredible! Thanks for sharing:smile: and hope your mum continues to improve.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Congrats to your mom and you for helping her out!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! That is truly heart-warming :)
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing such an amazing story. You must be so proud of her for trusting you and she must be so proud of you supporting her. Woohoo!!!!

Totally life changing.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    WOW. That brought tears to my eyes. Amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great news. Who better to protect their little existing muscle mass than someone that can't use it much.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    amazing! thanks for sharing