Hmm. Maybe all the non bar food isn't horrible

Options
Stacivogue
Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
So i tried the mac and cheese and it was ok....kindof a godsend now that i feel a little under the weather. What other meals are good? Someone said the chili? Is there anything special i need to do with it?

RE: mac and cheese. someone said to heat the water before stirring it and let the mixture sit for 45 min. Anyone do that? Thanks.

Replies

• tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was okay with cooking the mac and cheese the way the instructions said and the macaroni was always soft. However, I added salsa and a wedge of light Laughing Cow cheese to mine and it makes a huge difference! I bet if you mix the chili with it, that would be good. I really like a lot of their liquid stuff, like shakes and especially the cranberry mango drink. I always have two of the cranberry mango drinks after I work out because they have more protein than anything else. I also really like the Peanut Butter Crunch bars and eat one of those every day. I tried the new tomato basil bisque and didn't like it. I liked the flavor of it, but it had pieces of stuff in it that just wasn't appealing at all. their cream soups aren't bad either. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Noraavon
    Noraavon Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love the Cinnamon Pretzel Sticks. I eat them as my second meal of the day with a cup of coffee. Yum!
  • irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The medifast chili is the most disgusting thing I've ever put in my mouth. But my sister loves it so who knows? I also can't stand the chicken noodle soup. The dutch chocolate shake is good.

I add hot water to the mac and cheese and let it sit for about 30 min. I especially do this when I'm hungry bc it makes meal time seem 30 minutes sooner. I also add a pinch of oregano and/or red pepper flakes.
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    for mac n cheese.... i nuke the water for 2 min. add the packet. cover and let sit for 30min. nuke 2 min. cool and eat. works prety well. I add hot sauce also. what also works is mixing it up the night before and letting it soak overnight.

if you encounter something you don't like... put it aside for a week and come back to it. your taste buds will change with this food. there are some things i hated when i started that i crave now
  • bar403
    bar403 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I usually follow the directions on the packages - I'm always running late so never have time to soak anything. I like to add soy crumbles and salsa to my Mac & Cheese and I like to add Laughing Cow to the chili and sloppy joes. When you add things, just make sure you are subtracting from your healthy fats, L&G or condiments - whatever it falls under.

The only products I have really NOT liked are the lemon meringue crunch bars and the Chicken with Wild Rice Soup. I don't particularly care for the Strawberry Crunch bar either - but I will stomach if it it the last I have. I won't be ordering any of these three again.

Sandy's Kitchen has alot of fun ways to make the medifast meals interesting too. I've made the peanut butter cup (using hot cocoa and PB2) which was a nice change to the brownie or cookie.

I really like the puffs and bites because I feel like you get ALOT :)
  • bar403
    bar403 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I plan on making the grilled cheese with the tomato soup soon too!
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Also....the picture of the Mac and cheese on the brochure makes it look like a huge bowl, but they must have photographed it in a ramekin.
  • VTLois
    VTLois Posts: 49
    Options
    I do mine in a high bowl, nuke 2 minutes. One time I forgot it was in the microwave and it sat for about 40 minutes and by then the macaroni was pretty much mush.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I plan on making the grilled cheese with the tomato soup soon too!

That meal is *amazing*. SO good. It does add a bunch of calories and a carb or two, with the egg beaters and the cheese slice though, so do be aware.

Everyone's tastes are so different - you *really* can't go by what someone else loves, or hates. For instance, I like the chili just fine, and I eat the chicken noodle soup quite a lot. It tastes perfectly good, *and* it's one of the lowest-carb meals.

Someone here *raved* about the beef stew.....and I think that's vile. (In fact, I'd love to swap someone the 5 packs I have left. Ugh.)
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try baking the cream of chicken soup into bread!
  • swellswede
    swellswede Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have tried the tomato soup grilled cheese and love it!. With the mac & cheese I accidentally put in too much water one day and didn't want to throw it away (like pouring 2 dollars down the drain) so I ate it like soup. Now that is the only way I will eat it! Sometimes I throw in half of a 97% fat free hebrew national beef hot dog ( only 1/14 of your lean and an additional 22 cal) :)
  • sstratto01
    sstratto01 Posts: 23
    Options
    Not a fan of the mac and cheese myself. I will say to check out the recipes - you will find a number of ways to prepare the food that give it more variety and taste.

I like the peanut butter crunch and the pretzels. I could not stomach the puffs - I would feel sick when I ate them. I ended up giving them to my coach.

On my second order - I joined the club for free shipping and free food above a certain purchase amount. I ordered 1 item (not box) of a number of things to try them (different flavor bars, shakes snacks etc). This way I was not stuck with 7 of something I hated. I found the mix of stuff I liked and could do something with - and stuck to that.

I still eat some of the food now in maintenance.
  • VTLois
    VTLois Posts: 49
    Options
    I almost always put in extra water in my soups, sloppy joes, and mac...gives me more to eat.
  • tpcooper
    tpcooper Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    On my 10th day.

I like the shakes.

I like the bars.

I like most of the mix water and microwave products.

I still can't stand the "bites" type items. I have the bbq bites, the nacho cheese puffs, and the mixed berry cereal. They have gotten worse for me every day. I try to eat one of them every day so I eventually use them up.
  • PippaJo_
    Options
    the mixed berry cereal. They have gotten worse for me every day. I try to eat one of them every day so I eventually use them up.

Have you tried the cereal with 1/2 cup of almond milk? I've discovered that I really like that - and I am normally a 'real milk only please' kind of girl. I can now have my daily cereal, yay!

That said, the first cereal packet I had, I tried with a 1/2 of the vanilla shake as 'milk'......that was *disgusting*.
  • Nimblegranny
    Options
    I soak the mac and cheese and then heat and eat. Easy work lunch.
  • Nimblegranny
    Options
    I have a high tolerance for all of these packaged foods. I like most of the bars and the shakes and the crisps and the stuff mixed with water. The only stuff I sent back are the fruit drinks and the noodle soups.
  • tpcooper
    tpcooper Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the cereal with 1/2 cup of almond milk? I've discovered that I really like that - and I am normally a 'real milk only please' kind of girl. I can now have my daily cereal, yay!

That said, the first cereal packet I had, I tried with a 1/2 of the vanilla shake as 'milk'......that was *disgusting*.

I am just starting the program (this is my 11th day) and I am scared to eat anything not specifically part of the diet. How does adding things like 1/2 a cup of almond milk fit in? I have had pancakes but no Medifast syrup so I have been eating those plain every morning. :-)
  • PippaJo_
    Options

I am just starting the program (this is my 11th day) and I am scared to eat anything not specifically part of the diet. How does adding things like 1/2 a cup of almond milk fit in? I have had pancakes but no Medifast syrup so I have been eating those plain every morning. :-)

I had the pancakes plain for a while, too. :-)

I get the 30-calorie, unsweetened Almond Breeze milk - that's 30 cals a CUP, and I only use 1/2 a cup at a time, so that adds 15 calories, and 1 carb. I believe it's considered a 'condiment' on the plan, but I'm not 100% sure, since I don't track my foods strictly within the MF 'categories' (as in, a certain number of 'snacks', or 'condiments' or even 'healthy fats') - instead, I simply use the MFP categories, and keep my carbs within range, and calories within range. (I don't stress about the exact numbers for fats and protein either - another person might, and that's okay too.) I do keep to the MF guidelines for ounces of protein, depending on what the protein is, but I don't keep strict track of how many *grams* of protein or fat or whatever that it might be.

I think it's a good idea to keep *strictly* to the plan for the first couple of weeks, at least, just so you know what the baseline is, and how it works for you, and get used to eating this way.

Perhaps you can set aside the cereal for a couple of weeks, and then when you feel you have your feet under you, so to speak, you can try adding in the almond milk as one of your allowed 'condiments'. :-)
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    I believe 1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened) counts as a condiment.

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby get their almond milk. I have tried all the brands and theirs is the best. their unsweetened vanilla almond milk is 20 kcal/ 0.5 cup