Carne Picada Too much fat?

Options
Hello everyone! I just got back on the Keto bandwagon (didn't give it a fair shake the first time and now I'm back with a partner in crime) and was wondering if anyone else has tried the Carne Picada (minced beef) from Walmart. It is very filling, but it puts me way over on my fats even though it has a ton of protein as well. I usually eat an 8oz mixture of that with fajita seasoning, bell peppers, and chopped onions mixed in. Thoughts?

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just got back on the Keto bandwagon (didn't give it a fair shake the first time and now I'm back with a partner in crime) and was wondering if anyone else has tried the Carne Picada (minced beef) from Walmart. It is very filling, but it puts me way over on my fats even though it has a ton of protein as well. I usually eat an 8oz mixture of that with fajita seasoning, bell peppers, and chopped onions mixed in. Thoughts?

I eat taco salads every now and then and I use lean ground beef but still pretty fat. You don't want to overeat protein either. Ideally your protein would be 1g/lean body mass (not your weight, LBM Google is your friend here) Anyways... since I require about 110g protein per day, and I can't eat more than 50g carb to remain keto I make up the rest with fat. That means about 65% of my calories come from fat. As you can see by my ticker I've had no issue dropping the lbs and the fat is very satiating. I do, however, buy grass fed meat because of the omega 3:6 ratios since I"m eating it ofen. If you can swing it, I would try subbing some Walmart meat for some grass fed :) Enjoy!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options

I eat taco salads every now and then and I use lean ground beef but still pretty fat. You don't want to overeat protein either. Ideally your protein would be 1g/lean body mass (not your weight, LBM Google is your friend here) Anyways... since I require about 110g protein per day, and I can't eat more than 50g carb to remain keto I make up the rest with fat. That means about 65% of my calories come from fat. As you can see by my ticker I've had no issue dropping the lbs and the fat is very satiating. I do, however, buy grass fed meat because of the omega 3:6 ratios since I"m eating it ofen. If you can swing it, I would try subbing some Walmart meat for some grass fed :) Enjoy!

Excellent insight! I may be able to swing the grass fed, but I'm still in the planning stage. I like the idea of ensuring I get the LBM numbers in on the meat. I was toying with that idea yesterday and gave MFP a few test runs on the concept by playing with the custom goals. Thanks for the advice! I'm taking fish oil capsules for now to ensure the omega-3s are covered.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "too much fat" as long as you are meeting your protein needs.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    On keto, there is no such thing as too much fat. You probably think I'm kidding. I'm not.

Keto is low carb, HIGH FAT, moderate protein.

Set your base level of carbs.
    Figure out your necessary protein
    The rest is fat.

Base keto is 60% fat-35% protein-5% carbs (although I've also seen 65-30-5). Many of us target to consume 70% to 75% of our calories from fat.

I like this keto calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ [thanks reddit!]

Also, don't stress about ONE FOOD being off on macros. Look at the full picture of your day. I drink bulletproof coffee every morning which is 94% fat. My full day will usually net around 70-75% fat, so obviously my lunch and dinner are in the 60-70% fat range.

OK - I just took a look at this item, and it's only 52% fat, and 48% protein. DANGER! DANGER! If anything, you have a potential issue that this is too high in PROTEIN, and not enough fat. A single 8 oz portion is 84 grams! Yowza. Remember, some of the excess protein we consume is converted to glucose - so be really cautious here. Too much protein can easily throw you out of ketosis. Obviously a lot of factors come into play here.

I'm a big fan of the Keto FAQ over at reddit. It's a really good resource to review, if you haven't already.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat, then eat more fat than that.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Cool! I'm already a redditor s r/keto is definitely one of the places I frequent. Thanks for the advice all!
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    On keto, there is no such thing as too much fat. You probably think I'm kidding. I'm not.

Keto is low carb, HIGH FAT, moderate protein.

Set your base level of carbs.
    Figure out your necessary protein
    The rest is fat.

Base keto is 60% fat-35% protein-5% carbs (although I've also seen 65-30-5). Many of us target to consume 70% to 75% of our calories from fat.

I like this keto calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ [thanks reddit!]

Also, don't stress about ONE FOOD being off on macros. Look at the full picture of your day. I drink bulletproof coffee every morning which is 94% fat. My full day will usually net around 70-75% fat, so obviously my lunch and dinner are in the 60-70% fat range.

OK - I just took a look at this item, and it's only 52% fat, and 48% protein. DANGER! DANGER! If anything, you have a potential issue that this is too high in PROTEIN, and not enough fat. A single 8 oz portion is 84 grams! Yowza. Remember, some of the excess protein we consume is converted to glucose - so be really cautious here. Too much protein can easily throw you out of ketosis. Obviously a lot of factors come into play here.

I'm a big fan of the Keto FAQ over at reddit. It's a really good resource to review, if you haven't already.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

I have to disagree. First thing first is the cardinal rule of 0.8-1 gm of protein per LBM. If you aren't doing that you are gonna suffer a big loss in LBM when cutting, which defeats the whole point of working out if your trying to strengthen your body.

Once you hit your 0.8-1 gms then eat the rest in fats and a few precious ones in carbs. For me this ends up at around a 55/40/5 split.

Fats are very useful to control hunger, but you really only need 0.4g per lb to "maintain your body" aka not lose LBM.

The rest is to kill hunger pains.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The "rest" is for fuel and calories. The body will only metabolize so much of it's own fat for fuel.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Add a few extra tablespoons of EVOO into your diet.

I always had 1 meal with 80/20 ground beef (usually a taco salad without the tacos of course...).

I'd have one serving size of it browned in butter. Once done I dont drain the fat instead I add 2 tbsp of EVOO.

Every meal I ate included a tbsp of EVOO tbh ha!