rate my diary - % clean

Options
nikilis
nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
ok yall, I'm probably never going to go 100% clean, but I am interested in peoples thoughts of my diet at this point.

I'm not seeking compliments, I don't need to be told I'm special, just wanna know what people think, and any additions/subtractions you can think of.

I suppose my goal is to get my protein sources to 90-95% plant based (yah.... forks over knives... haha) and generally expand into ever healthier eating.

also... is fish counted in the same way as red meat? I know its an animal, but is fish protein the same as red meat protein/chicken etc? does it still increase the risks of cancer etc?

thanks yall.

Replies

• conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Your diary is looking pretty good IMO. What would I change? Not sure about the calci-xtra milk....extra calcium without Vitamin D3 isn't readily absorbed. Most pasteurized milks use a synthetic Vit D2 to replace the vit D3 that naturally occurs in whole raw milk. Just something to think about/look into!

Ditch the yoplait! There is all kinds of nasty things in it: synthetic sweetner, artificial food dye, artificial flavor, HFC....cornstarch to thicken....If it is good calcium and high quality protein you're after--go with a plain greek yogurt, and add nuts and honey!

The last thing that I saw is tortillas. I have found very few tortillas that don't have chemicals added to keep them soft and keep them from molding. My kids went into mourning when I tried to make them from scratch....lol. But I looked up each ingredient, and all the unidentifiable have possible long term health risks that I am not willing to take!

As for meat and protien? I say if it is minimally processed, chemical free.....it's fine for me! I prefer local organic pastured myself. But will occasionally purchase wild frozen fish. There are no conclusive studies that say meat is a carcinogen....but rather the properties in which it is processed....Again, my opinion! HTH!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Your diary is looking pretty good IMO. What would I change? Not sure about the calci-xtra milk....extra calcium without Vitamin D3 isn't readily absorbed. Most pasteurized milks use a synthetic Vit D2 to replace the vit D3 that naturally occurs in whole raw milk. Just something to think about/look into!

Ditch the yoplait! There is all kinds of nasty things in it: synthetic sweetner, artificial food dye, artificial flavor, HFC....cornstarch to thicken....If it is good calcium and high quality protein you're after--go with a plain greek yogurt, and add nuts and honey!

The last thing that I saw is tortillas. I have found very few tortillas that don't have chemicals added to keep them soft and keep them from molding. My kids went into mourning when I tried to make them from scratch....lol. But I looked up each ingredient, and all the unidentifiable have possible long term health risks that I am not willing to take!

As for meat and protien? I say if it is minimally processed, chemical free.....it's fine for me! I prefer local organic pastured myself. But will occasionally purchase wild frozen fish. There are no conclusive studies that say meat is a carcinogen....but rather the properties in which it is processed....Again, my opinion! HTH!

hey thanks a lot for taking the time. yah I think I'm going to swap out milk for almond milk on my cereal for example, and perhaps switch back to whole milk for my hot chocolate, which would mean more like 100-150ml of milk at the most.

OMG. DAMN YOU YOPLAIT. its one of those things where your so brainwashed to think yogurt is good that your like "pfff, I don't need to read the ingredients on this" - cornstarch!?! that stuff is like my new enemy! greek yogurt all the way, or someone did suggest a coconut yoghurt so I might try to get some of that. My brother and I are obsessed with coconut everything.

mmmm. the tortillas is a funny one for you to mention. yesterday my brother went to pull out one of those pre made pizza bases that he had put in the bag with the tortillas. it was mouldy after probably 1-2 days. tortillas have been in there for like a week or two and were not mouldy at all. i was like "what is this dark magic!" I have the ingredients to make them from scratch, I should probably just do it that way :)

thanks for your info, i appreciate it. :)
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Last year I was really into coconut milk and coconut yogurt. I really like them and their taste. What put me off them is I have a lot of trouble getting my protein up where it belongs and they had NO protein in them. I went back to using plain Greek yogurt.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I agree with Conniedj about meat. If you buy good cuts of meat, organic whenever possible, it can be part of a healthy diet. Just stay away from the stuff that contains nitrates, fillers, additives, etc...

In regards to tortillas, I'm a big fan of sprouted grain products because I'm struggling to give up bread type products. As a compromise, I've switched to the spouted grain items. Here are the ingredients for Ezkiel 4:9 Spouted Whole Grain Tortillas:

Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Sesame Seeds, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Sea Salt.

Most of these products have to be kept in the freezer since there are no preservatives in them.

The most important thing is that you read labels. Try and find products that the fewest ingredients and ones that you recognize.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

hey thanks a lot for taking the time. yah I think I'm going to swap out milk for almond milk on my cereal for example, and perhaps switch back to whole milk for my hot chocolate, which would mean more like 100-150ml of milk at the most.

OMG. DAMN YOU YOPLAIT. its one of those things where your so brainwashed to think yogurt is good that your like "pfff, I don't need to read the ingredients on this" - cornstarch!?! that stuff is like my new enemy! greek yogurt all the way, or someone did suggest a coconut yoghurt so I might try to get some of that. My brother and I are obsessed with coconut everything.

mmmm. the tortillas is a funny one for you to mention. yesterday my brother went to pull out one of those pre made pizza bases that he had put in the bag with the tortillas. it was mouldy after probably 1-2 days. tortillas have been in there for like a week or two and were not mouldy at all. i was like "what is this dark magic!" I have the ingredients to make them from scratch, I should probably just do it that way :)

thanks for your info, i appreciate it. :)

LOL. Dark Magic indeed! The suggestions being given are all great! I wish I liked sprouted breads....but alas.....not yet! I will keep trying though! And I happen to agree--coconut anything is just yummy!