What do you eat to make your protein macro?

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
Since we are all at high calories, I'm pretty sure everyone's protein count is fairly high.

So what do you eat? I need ideas.
I suppose I could have 2 shakes a day. I have a unflavored pea protein powder that tastes like *kitten*, and a vanilla protein powder that I apparently gives me a headache. I think from the fake sugar in it. So, I want to find a substitute for the vanilla.

and another question, if you use unflavored powder, what do you add to it?

Replies

• knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm currently eating 1-2 protein bars and a green smoothie with a scoop of protein powder in it on most days. I also have meat or nuts with every meal (peanut butter or pecans with breakfast, meat with lunch and dinner).

Honestly I'd like to find a way to get more protein without so much supplementation (bars and powder) since it feels really unsustainable to me and the bars have quite a bit of sugar.
  • kiku76
    Options
    that's kind of how I feel too. I'd like to be able to hit the high protein numbers without having 2 shakes a day.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder to get my protein at least close to the goal. Meat is really expensive here in Korea and I don't want to eat fish or squid every day.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Lots of peanut butter!! Also egg whites, turkey burgers, and lately, a lot of the Yoplait Greek 2x Protein yogurt:love:
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, nut butters, unflavored whey protein powder, turkey jerky, cheese, beans, quinoa, whole wheat cous cous.

Another great way to increase your protein is to eat a larger than normal portion size of lean meat or fish. Like, instead of having a 4 ounce chicken breast, have a 6 or 8 oz chicken breast. Eat a huge piece of fish! Eat an entire can of tuna or salmon!!

Not only will that help you increase your protein intake, but it'll also help get your calories up there (with healthy foods!!!)
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't like cottage cheese, but will eat it mixed in with Greek yogurt (good dose of protein there). Tuna fish is also a new recent fave - high protein and low calories. I hardboil a huge mess of eggs and keep them in the fridge, and will eat 6-8 chopped up egg whites at a time (with a little butter and salt, or mayo and mustard). And I do a lot of food prep on the weekend - I'll make up a batch of hamburgers to bring to work for lunch each day.

I recently invested in some Trutein protein powders and they are quite yummy (I have cinnabun and chocolate peanut butter cup).
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I don't try all that hard to meet mine and I meet it almost every day WITHOUT eating meat (most days), eggs, dairy, or tons of protein powder. I only shoot for 20% protein, or around 110g. There's a good thread about calculating how much protein you need per day. You should check that out! Maybe you're aiming too high for your calorie goal.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I was quite low on my protein today so just stood in the kitchen and ate 60g of chicken before bed. I sometimes wonder if it really is as important as we think...
  • kiku76
    Options
    I don't try all that hard to meet mine and I meet it almost every day WITHOUT eating meat (most days), eggs, dairy, or tons of protein powder. I only shoot for 20% protein, or around 110g. There's a good thread about calculating how much protein you need per day. You should check that out! Maybe you're aiming too high for your calorie goal.
    thanks. I'll look for it. I just used the suggested numbers and ended up with 143g of protein

edit: after looking around and using the equations, I've come up with 116g. IDK which to follow. 116 is definitely attainable and I mostly go over that, but 143 is proving to be a bit much
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    thanks. I'll look for it. I just used the suggested numbers and ended up with 143g of protein

edit: after looking around and using the equations, I've come up with 116g. IDK which to follow. 116 is definitely attainable and I mostly go over that, but 143 is proving to be a bit much

So set the percentages that put you just over 120g. See how you feel. If you feel fine, stick with it! Not everyone does well with 30% of calories coming from protein. I get physically ill with more than 140g a day if it's from animal sources. So I don't do that to myself! No need. :smile:
  • KatieDuvall612
    KatieDuvall612 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, sunflower seeds, black beans, eggs, cheese.

When I used unflavored protein powder I always made sure to blend it with a very ripe banana and a few other things like spinach and coconut milk. Bananas seemed to cover up the bad taste more than anything else. Not sure if you can tolerate stevia but now I use chocolate or vanilla Plant Fusion which has pretty minimal ingredients and a good flavor.
  • fruitninja93
    Options
    fat free greek yoghurt! The type I eat is 57kcal per 100g and 10g protein per 100g. So you can eat loads of it for not too many calories and its delicious with a teaspoon of honey or some dried fruit!
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Lentils. Soooo many lentils.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If i find I'm going to work out low I usually include either a homemade protein bun or a protein pancake. Especially the pancake as sometimes I just don't want a savory snack.

Protein Pancake; 3 tbsp vanilla protein powder + .5tsp baking powder + 1 egg + drop of water if not mixing well - fry like pancake.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Meat or chicken, cheese, milk, greek yoghurt, bread(mine has 7g per slice), deli meat, nut muesli, I don't use protein shakes or bars, and I don't eat eggs or fish as I don't like it, I can easily get in 150g of protein:)