From insulin to Metformin?

Options
fattyfoodie
fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
Hi all- I am not a very active member of this board, but I am wondering if anyone else has switched from insulin to Metformin.

My journey with diabetes started in 2007 when I was pregnant with my first son. I developed gestational diabetes. I was treated with insulin, had a very healthy baby boy. Six weeks post-partum I went in for a glucose tolerance test and was given great news- no more diabetes.

Fast forward to 2012, when my husband and I were expecting our second baby. Again I developed gestational diabetes (no surprise there) and was again on insulin. I was also involved in a double blind clinical trial, I was either receiving Metformin or a placebo. I am very confident that it was Metformin- that smell is unmistakable.

Six weeks post-partum this time I went in for a GTT and was given the news that I am now a Type II diabetic. I wasn't shocked but was pretty upset. I decided to stay on insulin because I was breastfeeding. Nine months later my son has weaned, my A1C is 5.4 for the first time below 6, and I am weaning from insulin to Metformin. If my blood glucose further stabilizes it 6 months to a year we will start weaning from Metformin.

I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with this? I have started with 125 mg Metformin once a day and a 10% reduction in my insulin (NPH 60 u at bedtime).