Sara and Patrick!! I need you!!!

Options
MacInCali
MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
While I know you two know me and my history from when we talked about upping my cals in January to reset my metabolism, here's a quick rundown:

Was eating 1560, gradually went to 2000 (between Jan/Feb), cut to 1750 (March), now eating 1650 (May).
I log everything and weigh with a digital scale. Protein is over 150g a day. Fat around 50g. Carbs went up when my calories went up, but are usually around the same as protein (I stay within 40/30/30). Lift 3 days a week, cardio 3 days a week, it overlaps so I workout 5 days a week). I lost 65 pounds. I have gained 6 pounds back since my "reset".

Repost from another group post:

I feel like a whiney friggin b*tch lately, but I'm seriously getting to the point where I think starting StrongLifts in January was the worst thing I could have done for me at this stage in the game (in addition to upping my cals).

Prior to January, I hit my goal "weight". I lost 65 pounds. I hit my goal "size". Size 8, some 6's. I was doing mainly Jillian Michael's circuit training DVD's three days a week (albeit with much heavier DBs than she called for), which meant I was donig compound lifts, isolation work, cardio and ab work. I did zumba sometimes just for the hell of it. I went hiking often. And I did my pole class once a week. Case in point, I was doing less heavy lifting and more cardio. My upper arms and back were totally leaned out and my size 8 slacks/jeans were loose on me and I was on the verge of wearing a solid size 6.

In January, I was maintaing my weight on 1560 calories a day on average. "Not enough calories" most people said. And I was jealous of all of my friends who could eat 1800-2200 and still lose or maintain, so I agreed. I calculated my TDEE (2100+). I gradually upped my calories 100 a day every two weeks. I never made it to 2100 calories, but I did make it to 2000 for a week. I also bought my first bar and plates and started StrongLifts in January while I upped my cals.

I'm now 4.5 months into heavy lifting (3 days a week SL, plus additional lifts added after the 12 weeks), cardio was minimal for the first 12 weeks (walking for warm-up/cool down on lift days, 1 day of incline/speed intervals and one day pole dancing). During the first two months of my reset, I gained 6 pounds (Jan & Feb). I cut my calories to 1750 on March 1st. I upped my cardio, but continued my lifting routine. The 6 pounds are still there. I'm now at 1650 calories, lifting three days a week, doing C25K three days a week (2 days overlap with lifting) and I still have my pole class, so I continue to workout 5 days a week (but my workouts are now longer than they were before January). My size 8 slacks/jeans are TIGHT. There is one pair I refuse to wear because they've gotten so tight. If I pull out my 10's, I'm sure they'd fit again. My waist is bigger. My hips are bigger. My thighs are bigger. I no longer see as much definition in my back or arms. I'm thick now ... that's the best way to describe it. I know I'm not "bulky", but I'm THICK now.

It feels like I have a layer of insulation all over my body.

I look and feel worse than I have in a very long time.

I feel like I'm going backwards.

I feel like I'm canceling all of the hard work I did.

I'm starting to hate my bar and plates.

I'm starting to hate the way I look .... again.

Is it possible that my "maintenance" really IS the 1560 I was at in January (I had maintained my weight at this number for six months). Is it possible that I really AM a special snowflake and lifting is not having the positive effect it seems to have on most people? I honestly don't know how long I can keep lifting while seeing these negative results. If I was losing size, I wouldn't care about the damn number on the scale, but I'm not losing size ... I'm gaining in size ... everywhere.

Oh, and if it helps at all, I just had a physical last month and my blood tests were friggin spectacular, no thyroid issues and everything else was amazingly low.

Help me ... please. :cry:

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Can you please provide your current stats, and can you let me know if you've recorded a gain in waist/hips/navel measurement during your weight gain?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Also, can you tell me if you enjoy the process of lifting weights via Stronglifts program?

Set aside the body composition portion of this discussion when you answer the above. I am strictly interested in whether or not you like lifting.
  • MacInCali
    Options
    40 years old
    5' 5 1/2"
    (was) 153
    (now) 159

And, yes, my waist, hips and thighs have all gained in size. My *kitten* has lifted too, but I'm okay with that part, lol. :wink:

And I can't believe I just posted my weight for all of the friggin world to see, I must REALLY be desperate. :sad:

As for lifting ... I loved it in the beginning ... but my limitations started to get the better of me ... using my washer and dryer as a "rack" for OHP and chest press seemed cool in the beginning, but now it's just a pain ... and a little depressing. I had to quit even Zercher squats at 140lbs because of my lack of upper body strength, so I had to switch to my husbands Crossbar machine, which was depressing as well. I squat 340lbs on the machine (which is the limit on his machine). I also leg press the same amount (again, the limit). So when I put it all in perspective ... no, I guess I really don't enjoy lifting now because of the way I have to do it. Perhaps if could join a gym and lift like a normal person, I would like it more, but that is not an option for various reasons that I don't see changing.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Bump....I'd like to keep reading because she almost repeated my scenario verbatim.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging and :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How much has your waist gained?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    For once I would like to read "taunto!! I need you!!!" appear on my news feed. I love it when women say that to me...
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Bumping for educational purposes.

edited to learn more!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Bumping to eavesdrop
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to hug the stuffing out of Marnie. ((((hugs))))
  • MacInCali
    Options
    I've never done measurements ... not even on day one. I've always gone by the fit of my clothes (I know, I know, I should have measured). But my size 8's were loose enough that they were sitting lower on my hips and they were loose in the hips and thighs. Some were even looking quite silly because of how loose they were.

My 8s are now sitting AT my waist and are tight around it ... they are snug around my hips and tight around my thighs, to the point where they crease together when I sit. I can honestly say I hate wearing my jeans because they have gotten to the point where they are uncomfortable and my slacks aren't much better.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the awesome. And for what it's worth OP, I'd KILL for the legs in your profile pic! If you have any pre-SL photos and during (now) SL photos I'd love to see them. You look amazing! I'm sorry you're struggling, though! :flowerforyou:
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump just to hear advice. Ugh I feel like I have the same exact story! :cry:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

And I can't believe I just posted my weight for all of the friggin world to see, I must REALLY be desperate. :sad:

Pffft

<---- 157lb in that pic and only 1/2 an inch taller (and older so there ;-P). 158 - 159lb this week. :flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    Options

Pffft

<---- 157lb in that pic and only 1/2 an inch taller (and older so there ;-P). 158 - 159lb this week. :flowerforyou:

^ 174 next week
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Pffft

^ 174 next week

Bat.gif
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Interested in this one.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bumping to hear reply. I'm also having the same problems.