Carb binging

Options
Defren
Defren Posts: 216 Member
From diagnosis I have always been excellent keeping my carbs ultra low (under 25g a day). I have been rewarded with HbA1c results of 4.9 and 5.1. Last week I had a binge day, I didn't set out to binge, I had to go out and was out much longer than I planned and was so hungry my stomach hurt. There is very little low carb so I had to grab what I could, and then thought (stupidly) it would be nice to have some of the things I have not had in a loong time. Now I want those things all the time, my carb cravings which I had gotten rid of a year ago are back horribly.

I know I have to just ride the storm and they will pass, I know this is my own fault, I know I will get over this, and I know this is just a vent :-) I guess I just need to see this written down as a visual kick up the a**.

The thing is my BG even after 200+g of carbs only went to 8.4 UK 151 US which for me is quite staggering as a year ago I would have been oh so much higher. My usual post prandial numbers are always high 5's before meals high 4's UK 88-106 US.

Please feel free to cyber slap me, I need it! :-)

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have already slapped yourself pretty good - you have really good control!
  • Defren
    Options
    Thank you, I do (usually) work really hard to keep very tight control. Complications scare me.

Extra slaps work well too. :-)

I am dreading the next few days, will I get carb flu again, will the cravings be really hard, will I give in? I think given a choice I would rather have carb flu and really suffer cravings than give in.

Why was I sooooooo stoopid? :-)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Poop happens sometimes. Usually, my peak testing after a carb binge is all the slap in the face I need ....although sometimes I need several slaps AND a kick in the pants as well before I once again admit that carbs aren't my friend :-)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The other day I wanted to chuck my whole diet and drive thru McD's for a caramel frappe. It's not that I even had a taste for it. I just wanted the pleasure of driving thru and ordering it. It was crazy. I got home safe and sound with my BG still under control. But I understand just how easy it is to go off the deep end.
  • Defren
    Options
    Thank you. I know that sometimes it's so easy to feel so angry that we have diabetes and say bo**ocks to it. Usually I can have those feelings, and go and make something low carb, that will fix the cravings. This time I did reach I did buy and I did eat. I am hoping the carb cravings I am having will be a timely reminder next time I go to grab, buy and eat.

Stay strong all :-)