Where do you all run?

Options
sunshinestater
sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
Just curious about where everyone runs. Outdoors? In a park, down a road, on a trail? Indoors on the treadmill?

I'll start off: I typically run outside. and since I live in FL, I'm lucky enough to be able to do it all year 'round. The heat is going to be a challenge, though. I either run on the road/sidewalks in my neighborhood or the boardwalks that go through the preserve areas dotted around town. I love it! The scenery is gorgeous, as you can see from the photo below, taken on my run this morning:

40567776_6066.jpg

I'm close to Walt Disney World, which is where I'll be running two 5Ks this fall, so I plan to start running on some of the paths over there. There are some nice ones by the hotels and at Fort Wilderness.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I started out and did most of C25K in our neighborhood. It's very hilly. Towards the end of C25K I really got bored with the same 'ol scene and started going out to a local trail for my weekend run. We see deer there pretty much every time. We are going to switch it up a bit more now - joining a local running store for weekday group runs and going out to different parks & greenways on the weekends. We'll only run once a week in the neighborhood so we can get in some good hill work.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood - there's always hills but depending on which way I go, I can vary the challenge. There's an awesome flat paved multi-use trail near my house for when I want to see how fast I am. I go to a track for speed intervals. And I've begun exploring some of the park trails in my area. I'll also run on a treadmill when the weather's nasty or if I just can't fit in an outdoor run.

Running can be so many different things depending on your mood.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I run outside usually around my neighborhood or on a bike path a few blocks away. Occasionally I will go to the forest preserve and run on the bike paths there, that's deffinatly my favorite
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I live quite rural, and just run around the village (well technically I run into the next village and back :o! lol)...
    The paths are in appalling condition so it has quite a cross country run feel to it, especially in places where I have to dodge puddles run through the mud left by the tractors. There is this one field of sheep really quite scary... they stare... :| its very off putting, I dunno if you've seen the film Black Sheep,probably not its a rubbish horror film, but it reminds me of that every time!

x
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Depending in the weather and the mileage I'm aiming for, I either run around my neighborhood, through the historic downtown (best snow control on sidewalks that I've found around here, plus the best flat option), or on trails through the foothills behind my house. I don't use a treadmill, so I'm outside in the snow in the winter. I live in Idaho, so it can get pretty chilly, but I think that it's worth it.
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood. It has nice sidewalks and is also on the edge of town, so I have cows mooing at me half of my run. They look at me like I'm crazy. :laugh: It is really hilly though.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood. It has nice sidewalks and is also on the edge of town, so I have cows mooing at me half of my run. They look at me like I'm crazy. :laugh: It is really hilly though.

I don't think that cows can physically survive a marathon. That's probably what they're thinking.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Either in the neighbourhood or the local park, which is beautiful. I honestly don't think I would enjoy it at all on a treadmill without the distraction of nature.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    In the woods behind the house with my dog - we've not long started but she's already getting to grips with not stopping for a sniff every 20 paces lol

Not sure how viable this will be in the winter as the tree roots are very slippery in the wet so we may have to run around the neighbourhood which will involve looping past the same houses about 10 times (its a small neighbourhood!) but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill. Then got bored and went outside as soon as I was able to. Mostly I run at the off leash dog park here in Memphis. It allows me to get the pups exercise as well as get my run in. But, I will also run on the different trails and stuff around Memphis.
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In a local park with my dog - on week seven of c25k. I have to take a pocketful of cheese and leave a trail for her. It's like hansel and gretel. Otherwise she just sits and refuses to run after me. What is a bit embarrassing is that when I run, she barely breaks into a trot ...
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Sounds like y'all have some nice running spots! I think I'd get bored easily on a treadmill, so I'm hoping the rain won't affect my running program too much this summer. We get some vicious thunderstorms here, but I can't complain since there's never snow or ice.
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill. I live in the sticks and don't feel very safe being out on the road all alone, I've also had too many close calls with trucks etc!

I like the treadmill - I can empty my mind and just run :)
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I live in the country and run with the wildlife ( 4 legs and 2 legs lol)
    It has to be green and lots of birds and critters to look at or I am bored
    :tongue:
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There is a high school track in my neighborhood. It usually takes me the entire warm-up to walk there and I just do the program on the track.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    A treadmill actually sounded good today, since the Florida heat and humidity are getting pretty wicked. At least I was rewarded with an alligator spotting.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I run out of my neighborhood and down along a river. I would like to check out the bike path south of us. Maybe this weekend.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It has been a lovely May so I have been running outside in the neighborhood, it is pretty rural. We are at sea level, but have some nice hills. I am not good in the cold so I suspect I will be joining the Y about November and continue training on a dreadmill.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I run mostly on the treadmill. I like that I can watch TV and keep track of my time/speed etc and it is a great option on days when I can only get my run in at night. I hate running on tracks, that bores me incredibly. I used to prefer outdoors, but my new neighborhood is very hilly. I have trouble even riding a bike in the area that is how steep the hills are. I guess it is great when I want to get in hill work, but it is just to challenging for an average run. I'm visiting my mother for the next two weeks and there is a great park nearby. I'm looking forward to running outdoors during my visit.
  • laragc
    laragc Posts: 11
    Options
    I run on the Bay Trail which is an uninterrupted paved trail along the east shore of the San Francisco Bay. I also run at the local school track, which is more boring but less intimidating. I love the Bay Trail because of the scenery but I do find I don't look where I'm going because I'm looking at the view.