Do something about Monsanto RIGHT NOW!

Options
RunningRichelle
RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
They are trying to slip something into the next Farm Bill that will nullify the states' ability to pass GMO labeling laws. Go sign the petition!

Don't let these people take away our right to know what we are putting into our bodies.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/congress-dont-pass-a?source=s.icn.em.mt&r_by=7840004

Replies

• imjenjen00
    imjenjen00 Posts: 75
    Options
    As someone who works in the food manufacturing world, this topic really grinds my gears. Unless you are buying organic processed foods, everything you eat contains GM ingredients. If it's got corn, soybean, sugar, cottonseed oil, you are eating GM crops. People who are genuinely concerned about what they're putting into their bodies probably aren't eating a whole lot of processed foods, anyway.
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    As someone who works in the food manufacturing world, this topic really grinds my gears. Unless you are buying organic processed foods, everything you eat contains GM ingredients. If it's got corn, soybean, sugar, cottonseed oil, you are eating GM crops. People who are genuinely concerned about what they're putting into their bodies probably aren't eating a whole lot of processed foods, anyway.

Grinds my gears too. I already only buy processed foods that have the Non-GMO project label. It would grind my gears less if these massively profitable companies would allow research on their GMO products. It's very reminiscent of the fight against big tobacco.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I live in Iowa where farming is worshiped...Farm Bureau is the preacher and the farm lobby is a the deacon. If everything is so safe Monsanto...why not just label it??? It is crazy to give any entity that kind of power!
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    I live in Iowa where farming is worshiped...Farm Bureau is the preacher and the farm lobby is a the deacon. If everything is so safe Monsanto...why not just label it??? It is crazy to give any entity that kind of power!

I'm from Nebraska and it's a similar story.

I agree. As Americans, it's our job to make sure power is not being abused this way.
  • judy0252
    judy0252 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It makes me want to plant my own garden and hoard non-GMO seeds. It is pitiful what our world has become. We all need to do whatever we can to stop Montsano.
  • ineedGod
    ineedGod Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    AGREED!! There's a Nationwide MARCH AGAINST MONSANTO on MAY 25th...find your local event and go out and make some noise!

http://www.march-against-monsanto.com/
  • ineedGod
    ineedGod Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing the link - I signed the petition & shared it on FB!
    BOO Monsanto!
    Here's a link for the nationwide march against them coming up on may 25th
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    thanks for sharing the link - I signed the petition & shared it on FB!
    BOO Monsanto!
    Here's a link for the nationwide march against them coming up on may 25th

THANKS!! I shared it everywhere I could think of.. it's wrong what they are trying to do!

Also, I'm participating in the March Against Monsanto as well.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It makes me want to plant my own garden and hoard non-GMO seeds. It is pitiful what our world has become. We all need to do whatever we can to stop Montsano.

If you did and had a stalk of corn come up...Monsanto would be there checking to see if you infringed on their patent. Farmers can't even glean and clean and use their own seed.
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    they are the devil!! i am always surprised at how many people don't know anything about GMO!!! i agree with an above post--if there's nothing wrong with it--label it!! but they won't!! they want to keep the public in the dark--they don't want people asking questions! it is so upsetting!!! and these companies are so much gov't invlovement and money!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr and shame on them!!!
  • RunningRichelle
    Options

If you did and had a stalk of corn come up...Monsanto would be there checking to see if you infringed on their patent. Farmers can't even glean and clean and use their own seed.

I remember learning about this and being horrified.

I forgot to add to my original post- sign that petition, then share it on your other social networks- your friends list here, your twitter, your fb, your whatever... wherever you have like-minded people you can get to sign it.

Because like so many other causes, nothing gets done if people don't band together and work for it!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    While I applaud showing support through petitions....that is all this type of effort is. It isn't a legal means by which to submit your voice. This particular petition doesn't even call out the provision of legislation, the person behind it, or when it will be voted on.

If you really want your voice to be heard:
    1) Don't buy processed food made with GMO's ( if we all stop buying, they will stop making)
    2) Contact your US Reps and US Senators:
    http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm ...helps you find your us senator
    http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ .....US rep

Tell them that you are absolutely opposed to the "Protect Interstate Commerce Act (PICA)" introduced by California Rep. Steve King. The federal government has been remiss in NOT passing legislation for labeling of GMO's, just as 50 other nation sin the world do ( including India and China). If Federal Government won't do it, then States should be allowed to have their constituency vote on the matter. Trying to pass legislation to keep this process from happening is unconstitutional.

Further, tell them that you support Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.)who is planning to push an amendment to the upcoming farm bill that would repeal the secret provision known as the Monsanto Protection Act. Ask them to please support this effort as well.

After that, you can go to the white house website, and on FB and tell the president the same as above. Each communication to the White House is archived by law, where as petitions may go completely unrecognized and unread.

I remember I was doing research for a project ( a documentary), and this was the first time that I read the former lobbyist for Monsanto was named the head of the FDA! But wait.....isn't this a conflict of interest? Yes, yes it is. Isn't this unethical? Yes, again it is. Isn't it criminal to allow someone who so obviously has a slanted interest on the side of corporate profit to re-write laws that govern how these same corporations do business? One would think. But not yet. Are the board members of Monsanto happy with their profit margins? Not so much. They are scared for their bottom line, as they should be. Moms and women represent 90% of the market place. That is a strong number! If you have one conversation with one new person per week about YOUR concern of the UN-tested safety of GMO's, I promise you will lead them to look at it in a new way!

And it won't change in the way of legislation ( at first). What will change is people in the market place who are finding ways around the corporate model, and starting up their own companies that answer a need in the market ( niche) that has gone unanswered by traditional suppliers. Read about Happy Family....an amazing story! This is just one of many. And this is how we will change the world!
  • RunningRichelle
    Options

If you really want your voice to be heard:
    1) Don't buy processed food made with GMO's ( if we all stop buying, they will stop making)
    2) Contact your US Reps and US Senators:
    http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm ...helps you find your us senator
    http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ .....US rep

Thank you! Thank you so much. Done and done. I am so grateful for people who can point us in the right direction and really know how to get our voices heard. If you're just coming to this thread, sign the petition if you want, but definitely do what Connie said!

Thanks again Connie.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Connie! You make this complicated stuff so much easier to understand and act upon!
    You rock!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    YAY!! Guess what? You have become the seeds of change in your world! And sustainable change is a lot like getting fit, eating clean, losing weight....a little bit at a time, but cumulatively total change!

Dissemination of good/accurate information is also like reading labels. You learn after a while what is crap, and what is the good stuff! I posted a new thread which you may have read. There is a LOT to digest! Remember, small bites--and stop before you feel too full! ; )

ok.....enough with the analogies!