5x5 or NROL, which is better?

Options
Hey ladies, I am a beginner and it was recommended I check out both 5x5 and NROL. I picked up the book the other day. Which one is more effective and which do you do?
I want to mainly build muscle and strength, I do have about 20 pounds to lose as well.
I started at the gym, just finishing my second week.
Ive been doing strength training 3xs a week which is:
Seated row, leg press, chest press, leg curl and leg extension
I go to the Y and you meet with a trainer who sets you up n a program to get you started towards your goals and those are the exercises she told me to do.
I really want to do free weight exercises, I'm just getting started and comfortable at the gym and in another week I meet with her again and I want to be shown how to properly do dead lifts, etc.

Anyways, back to topic, those two programs do differ so which should I try to follow?
Thanks ladies!

Replies

• rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I can only comment on the NROL because that is the one I am doing. I have completed 3 workouts so far (my 4th one is tonight) and I am addicted. I used to do a ton of cardio but never got out of it what I am getting now. It is a workout that lasts 30 minutes but is well worth it. I plan on looking into the 5x5 program when I am finished with this one. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I finished NROLFW a while back, and just started SL 5x5. The answer is, it depends. NROL has a lot of variety -- there are multiple stages, and you do different things, and there are many exercises that are variations of one another. I started with it because I enjoyed the idea of learning a bunch of new stuff and having a routine that changes a lot. It helped me explore what I did and didn't enjoy, and gave me a chance to build strength while doing so. However, I got tired of all the variety in the later stages. I wanted to make some steady progress on particular lifts. So now, 5x5 is just right for me. My suggestion is this: if you are like me, start with NROL; if you want something simpler and easier to keep track of, start with 5x5. Either way, don't be afraid to reassess as you go. You are allowed to switch things up. Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I was too confused by NROL; the workouts are too much for me to remember. I like SL5x5 b/c it is 5 exercises to learn, 2 alternating workouts, and the progression for adding weight is simple.
  • GoTimeBaby
    GoTimeBaby Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, maybe Ill start with the 5X5 first, since it is less confusing but the NROL is good for food references I think.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal, both are good programs, the key is which will you do consistently. Some people get bored with 5x5, some don't like the wide variety of lifts in NROL. Consistency is the key to a successful program which ever you choose.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal, both are good programs, the key is which will you do consistently. Some people get bored with 5x5, some don't like the wide variety of lifts in NROL. Consistency is the key to a successful program which ever you choose.

Pretty much that. I used NR with great success, after I decided to go with 5x5 but found that while I became stronger at those lifts, I had lost strength in all other lifts and experienced a decrease in overall functional strenght (which is the most important to me), so I did another cycle of NR and am now doing a different program because . . . well it's my workout and I can do what I want :wink: . I'm still a big fan of NR programs and will be doing one of the other ones later this year.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think NROLFW is better for explaining WHY you should lift. I think 5X5 is better for you know, actually lifting if that makes sense.
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I bought the NROLFW book, read it, and then did 5x5. I chose 5x5 for several reasons. It is easier to learn proper form on 5 lifts than it is to learn it for a couple dozen, its easier to track gains and working weights, and finally, because it was the one I thought I could talk my husband into doing with me :) I like it a lot, though I do get tired of squats since you do those EVERY time. I can easily see my progress though which keeps me doing it. I would start with this, and then move on if you find yourself getting bored.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Pretty much that. I used NR with great success, after I decided to go with 5x5 but found that while I became stronger at those lifts, I had lost strength in all other lifts and experienced a decrease in overall functional strenght (which is the most important to me), so I did another cycle of NR and am now doing a different program because . . . well it's my workout and I can do what I want :wink: . I'm still a big fan of NR programs and will be doing one of the other ones later this year.

Honestly I think my ideal program would be a combo of NROL4W and 5x5. There's one called 5-3-1 (I think I'm remembering right) and it does basic lifts lik 5x5 but then you add on "assistance work" which are also lifts but not necessarily full body liftts - if I'm understanding correctly. Here's Wendler's website - http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

I think I would not want to only do the 5x5, because I do lose muscle mass quickly at 61 and notice even in changing stages I fell like I lose some ground in between. Just my 2cents