OK...how exactly to lose weight while lifting?

Options
CactusF1ower
CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
I just started NROL4W this week, at home (difficult to get to the gym with a 5 month old @ home). I have searched through some threads and would like to know how exactly to lose weight. I get that with weight lifting, I should not focus on the scale, and I'm working on that. However, I need to lose weight, in addition to toning. I eat TDEE-20%, drink at least 8 cups of water per day, usually more like 10-12. I plan on doing weights 3 times per week, maybe 25 minutes of HIIT cardio twice a week on off days. I would like to lose about 40 lbs. and then re-evaluate. I am not as focused on the # in the end, as I am the look (but I need to drop soe weight). I see some people here say that with weights, I will eventually lose weight, while others feel that one would have to "bulk up" first, then cut, therefore eat at a surplus first, then a deficit later. Can I achieve weight loss with this plan I have outlined above?

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    My $0.02:

1. calories in v. calories out dictates weight loss. Period. You have to eat less food then the energy you expend in order to see weight loss.

2. heavy-lifting dictates body "shape". Period. If you heavy-lift while in a calorie deficit, the weight you are losing will be FAT (not muscle).

Do not confuse these two things. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet and, if you have scale-weight to lose, nutrition will easily be 80-90% of the equation, for you.
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    I've been lifting for only one month, and while the pounds are SLOW to leave, I'm shedding inches: replacing fat with lean muscle.

I'm 5'3", 197lbs, goal of 140, but that's not set in stone. Like you, I'm about the look, not the number. I try to eat 1700 a day, but it's difficult for me without blowing my macros. I lift heavy M, W, F followed by a half hour heavy cardio, Tue, Thurs up to 2 hours cardio. Sat or Sun more cardio, or just swimming with the kids at the Y.

I know I'm probably eating too little, and I'm working on that, but what I'm trying to say is slow and steady wins the race. Just stick with it and eventually you'll see a loss. I'm much more comfortable with this type than I am with the fast drop.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Like Beeps said, it really is about calories in vs calories out. I lost 14 lbs doing the program and I probably averaged a 10% cut. I did very little extra cardio other than some HIIT. Eat less than your TDEE and you will lose fat. I personally try to never average more than a 15%-20% cut as it affects my lifting performance and my motivation.
  • CactusF1ower
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses!
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    As the others have said, if you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. BUT...especially if you are new to lifting your muscles will spend a lot if time repairing themselves by filling up with water and other goodies which weighs more...so you might not see the weight loss at first. But it will be there. That's why you can't trust the scale when weight lifting and why you should weigh in after at least 1 days break from lifting and when you have no muscle soreness.
  • CactusF1ower
    Options
    Gotcha. Just keep lifting and eating at a deficit, and EVENTUALLY the weight will come off.
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Eat right. Lifting is still exercise as well - when you lift you're burning calories during and after the exercise.
    The trick is slow + steady.... logging food with MFP definitely helps, but don't go too low. NROL4W has some very good advice about eating + what to eat, but you have to make it workable for you.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've stuck to a 20% deficit. Very little additional cardio although I do walk the dogs a couple miles most days (but not for cardio). Honestly I don't weigh myself very much so I can't really tell you how I've lost weight. I want to be healthy and I figure if I eat at a deficit and exercise, I'm going to lose weight and build muscle but it will be a slow process. I have few clothes that fit me any more and I think I've lost 18 pounds(5'7") started around 198. If you focus on the weight loss you may not see the tremendous benefits of how your body will change. You will lose weight if you eat at a deficit. Be patient, don't weigh yourself too often. Good luck to you!
  • CactusF1ower
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm hanging in there. I've probably lost 1.5 b. Since I first started this thread. I'm determined to continue lifting and see what my body does with that. I could probably cut back on some things in my diet, but I do try to stick to about TDEE minus 20%.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I also just started NROL4W (Workout A and B completed) and I'm in the same situation as you -- I have a substantial amount of weight to lose (about 50 lbs). I lost 20 lbs walking and counting calories with MFP but was starting to have knee pain that cut into my walking, feeling tired all the time, and was developing loose skin. I'm also over 60 and know my skin won't recover very much if I do nothing. On top of that I'm mostly vegetarian with some fish protein and I was having trouble getting enough protein in my diet. Here's what I found: Adding more protein ( vegan protein shakes, egg whites, beans, homemde energy bars) made me immediately drop water pounds. I feel much fuller now within my calorie allowance. And the kicker-- after the FIRST workout with step ups onto a bench my knees stopped hurting! I think it's because the muscles need to be strengthened to stabilize my knees. Anyway, I also feel stronger, more healthy and energetic after one week on the program, so I'll stick with it even if I don't lose weight as fast. But already I do see some reduction in fat deposits, or maybe muscles are pulling them in. At my age, that's nothing short of amazing. :)
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks to OP for this thread, echoed a lot of my own doubts and I feel better after having read this

I have some doubts on what my calories should be : I am nearly 50 years old, I am 5'2" and weigh 173 pounds. I want to lose about 30-40 pounds. I can't do cardio (i get exercise induced asthma) and I have started NROL4W

MFP tells me to eat at 1200 calories to get a 1lb a week weight loss- elsewhere on MFP people have said that is too low - is it?
    I look at the TDEE calculators, they range anywhere from 1900-2200 calories, which means I could eat 1600-1700 and still have a modest deficit a day. Per MFP, 1700 cals would be at maintenace. I have a desk job and I work out of home, so I am pretty sedentary, other than the 3 gym workouts for NFOL per week.

Those of you who said you did hardly any cardio - does that mean zero cardio or just that you didn't do hours of cardio? Can I achieve weight loss with NFOL without any cardio at all, or should I try to log what I can on recovery days?

The other point about deficit - at Stage 1, what would the NFOL workout come to? I entered it and it came at 40 calories, which is neither here nor there!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I recommend a search for IPOARM for those lifting and needing to find their calorie deficit advice. The spreadsheets are SO helpful. I use it to find what I need to be eating, then set my MFP to 200 calories under that. If I workout (any kind), I calculate an extra 200 calories for that day for workouts. If I workout twice sometimes happens on the weekends if I play tennis or something recreationally), I would add more. This keeps me from over-eating on days I am not needing calories, and eating more on days I work out more. If I am sore the next day, I am also often hungry and will bump that days cals as well to make sure muscle is getting enough calories to repair and form. I think this is called cyclical calories.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks JoanB5, will look up IPOARM. Your approach sound sensible and sustainable, I should give it a go.
  • CactusF1ower
    Options
    I have already been using IPOARM and eating at TDEE-20%. I guess I'll just keep on and see where this gets me in a couple of months
  • lavsk23
    lavsk23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! Answers many of my doubts as well. I am planning to start NROLFW from next week and I was wondering the same, how to also lose weight along with lifting. I need to lose around 30lbs. From the responses in this thread am I correct in understanding that I could eat at a deficit of 10-20% of the numbers I come up with the calculations given in the book?
    Also, apart from the warm-up cardio, how much more cardio during the week is advisable?Like on off-days or after lifting?
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Just read about IPOARM, and I think I'm going to give it a shot. I am always STARVING and this seems to make more sense to me.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread! Answers many of my doubts as well. I am planning to start NROLFW from next week and I was wondering the same, how to also lose weight along with lifting. I need to lose around 30lbs. From the responses in this thread am I correct in understanding that I could eat at a deficit of 10-20% of the numbers I come up with the calculations given in the book?
    Also, apart from the warm-up cardio, how much more cardio during the week is advisable?Like on off-days or after lifting?

As little or as much as you want. Some of us have done very little and others are very active on their off days. It depends on your goals. As far as calories, I like this calculator better: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.
    It is very similar to the New Rules, but allows you to select your deficit. It also explains active vs moderately active, etc.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    it's recommended I eat 1g protein per proud of body weight!? Really, how the heck am I suppose to do that!? :huh:
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    it's recommended I eat 1g protein per proud of body weight!? Really, how the heck am I suppose to do that!? :huh:

I believe Its of lean body mass not body weight and its 0.7grm to the lb (everyone rounds it up), if my understanding is correct. So for me my LBM is 115lb which equals 80 grm of protein.

I eat egg whites and chicken to get the most of mine in.
  • DanielleJoy129
    Options
    Keep fiddling with your calorie intake until you find the balance between:

feeling nourished and hitting your macros
    and
    seeing SLOW and steady weight loss (1 lb/week)

Any time you make an adjustment (decrease by say, 100 calories),
    give it at least 3 weeks to let your body catch up

It took me about 3 months to find this balance, good luck!!