When does running become a passion??

Options
silverbelle69
silverbelle69 Posts: 14 Member
I've done all my C25K sessions on a treadmill at the gym. Walking 3.5-4.2mph and jogging 4.5-4.8mph, depending on how I feel. I did W6D2 today, and it was a challenge. My body was right there with me but my mind (and maybe my lungs) wanted to quit. So far, I haven't really enjoyed or looked forward to my jogging. I can visualize me loving to run, but it has not happened yet. I would quit the program and admit I am not a runner, but I would be so disappointed not to graduate.

At what point did you start to love to run?

Replies

• trin8ty75
    trin8ty75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've graduated from C25K and started the 10K trainer. I can run 4 miles non-stop-but I don't love it yet. I feel amazing after the run because of what I've accomplished, but the entire time I'm running my mind says "Stop, why are we doing this?" I'm hoping I'll learn to love it once it becomes effortless
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I think it was around week 6-7 in the program. That's when I started to look forward to every one. Now, a month after finishing I am still excited each time to get out and run. For me, changing up the location really helped. Going to different parks & trails, as well as running with my wife on the weekends really makes it much more enjoyable.
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I feel amazing after the run because of what I've accomplished, but the entire time I'm running my mind says "Stop, why are we doing this?" I'm hoping I'll learn to love it once it becomes effortless

This is how I feel. I look forward to my runs now (I just finished the program) more than I did in the early days, but it's still mostly because I feel PHENOMENAL when it's done - both in terms of "Wow, I can do this!" and "Thank God that's done for today!" I also run on the treadmill and I'm starting to think that part of it is boredom. Maybe I'll love it more when I start running outside.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Honestly it was day one of c25k for me. I finished just about 3 weeks ago. I'm slowing trying to build my time and pace. Today I had a 34 minute 2.11 mile run. I know I don't run fast but I believe my pace will naturally increase.

Anyways...You have to love it and want to do it--if you don't then there are plenty of other things you can do. Find something that you can't wait to do every day!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I fell in love the first week, although I can't really say that the love is for the running itself. I think it's more what the whole thing means to me. I signed up for two 5Ks this fall when I started, and seeing that I could actually run for specific lengths of time and build myself up has given me hope that I'll ace them and continue to do more. I'm approaching age 50, so this is a big healthy milestone for me. I started looking forward to my runs in the first week. This is week 3 (day 3 tomorrow), and I did a couple of extra jogs on day 2 just because I felt like I could, even though I was most definitely glad when they were over during the actual program.

Running and I used to be enemies, and now it's more of a frenemy relationship. I doubt I'll ever love running itself, but I love the sense of the accomplishment, the chance to get outside for some "me" time in nature, and the finisher medallions and t-shirts that are in my future.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 1 on Friday, and that was it for me! I can't wait till tomorrows run get started on week 2! :)
    I've been doing zombie run so I think the story helps me along too cant imagine running without the story yet...
    x
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    I feel amazing after the run because of what I've accomplished, but the entire time I'm running my mind says "Stop, why are we doing this?" I'm hoping I'll learn to love it once it becomes effortless

This is how I feel. I look forward to my runs now (I just finished the program) more than I did in the early days, but it's still mostly because I feel PHENOMENAL when it's done - both in terms of "Wow, I can do this!" and "Thank God that's done for today!" I also run on the treadmill and I'm starting to think that part of it is boredom. Maybe I'll love it more when I start running outside.
    I started my training outside. I am a WalMart overnight cashier so I am stuck inside. The only day I am inside is on Wednesday mornings. And then I use the track. I stay away from the treadmill. I also was a runner about 30 years ago all the fun was taken out of it for me.
  • tcs1012
    tcs1012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just finished W3D3 last night and I'm wondering the same thing. I was so hoping that I would learn to love running but I'm not convinced yet. I am determined to finish the program and have signed up for one 5k already and considering another one. I'm also hoping that by losing at least 50 or more pounds will make it easier too.
  • EliseLives
    EliseLives Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I graduated the program about two weeks ago and now instead of running three days a week, I've been doing two days a week on my own.

I'm sort of glad to see this topic, just because I was really shocked at how MENTAL being able to run was for me. I always thought I was unable to run because I was not in good enough shape, which was absolutely part of it, but it is so mental as well.

Today was about the fifth time I did my 30 minute jog, two of those times being on the treadmill. When I am on the treadmill, I knock it out of the park. I don't get tired really and my speed is my fastest. But when I go outdoors on my local trail, I struggle and it is soooo frustrating! I swear five minutes into it today outside, my mind was already telling me to give up. And I was so mad! And I almost listened! I think my problem was my pace. To be able to make it the entire 30 minutes I have to jog at a snails pace. I hope with time I will become faster and stronger.

My first 5K is in less than a month and I am still concerned I will not be able to jog the entire race but I am going to just give it my best I guess.
  • sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread OP and Elise, thank goodness! Someone else who did treadmill who sees a big difference when they go outside. I did the entire C25K program on the treadmill and was amazed, proud, and pumped that I finished it (56-year-old with COPD and three foot surgeries/new joints and screws now on board) and decided the next step was to take it outside.

O....M.....G!!!!! I'm back at square one and, admittedly, discouraged. I'm now just fast walking (since my treadmill pace was not anything spectacular). So my head is saying I must not really be meant to be out there. I'm still fighting with it. I read lots of running forums/discussion and see all the talk of injuries, aches, and pains and that mental monster just gets bigger and BIGGER .....

Again, thanks for the thread. Now that I've "talked" to someone about it, I think I'll go lace up! :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It was about week 8 for me. Before then, I was happy and proud when it was over, but week 8 was when I started getting minutes where everything would come together and I would just run - I would push through the exhaustion and it would all fall into place and I would go so fast and it would be incredible.

You know, I'm beginning to realize that there will be many moments in my life as a runner when I'm going to be back at square one. Treadmill to outside (and vice versa) is one. Right now, I'm breaking in a pair of more minimal shoes and it's like learning to run all over again. I'm going to do a form workshop in a month or two and have been warned that any time you change your form, it's like learning to run again as well. Getting better, stronger and more versatile as a runner is a constant state of starting from now over and over again. It can be frustrating, but I think it's part of the challenge.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options

this is me exactly too. I love it after I'm done. When I'm actually doing it every part of my body is telling me to stop. I think you would love it more if you were outside. I have an amazing route with a running path and water right near my house, so it's something to look at, and I run by other runners who always nod or wave. I feel like part of an athletic club! After week 1, I do remember why I used to love running when I did it 15 years ago.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So far, I haven't really enjoyed or looked forward to my jogging. I can visualize me loving to run, but it has not happened yet. I would quit the program and admit I am not a runner, but I would be so disappointed not to graduate.

At what point did you start to love to run?

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I don't think I'll ever love running. I just want to do some of the fun 5k's - but I can't imagine ever running just for funsies.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with running. Ultimately, I love it. I love going outside and smelling jasmine blooming, feeling the heat on my skin, and knowing that with every footfall I am become stronger, better.

But....a lot of times I hate the run itself. Most of the time nothing is right. My foot hurts, or my breathing is off. I don't finish the mileage I set out to do...ultimately it turns into a crappy run.

Some people go right into loving to run. Others need to form the habit, and then suddenly wake up realizing how much they enjoy it.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    ...Running and I used to be enemies, and now it's more of a frenemy relationship....

^^LOL!!!

I have loved it from the beginning. Running is an honest friend that tells it like it is whether you like it or not. Running kicks my butt regularly...but its for my own good. Commit to it and running can be a friend for life. I love that I am continuously improving. (As are you!!! Take pride and joy in what you have accomplished!) I love that I can do something that I thought I couldn't before. I am more confident in every aspect of my life. I love feeling strong and less tired. I love that it is dropping the weight off of me and toning my body. I have always admired healthy active people. Now *gasp*I am one of those people! :-)
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For me it was day one. But the thing is it wasn't so much the RUNNING as it was everything else. When I am out there doing my run/walk, I am outside, by myself, in my own head, listening to my running playlist. It's peaceful, I can be lost in my thoughts, and push my body. I love it. If I were on a treadmill in a gym doing the same thing...I would hate it. But that's just me.