lap band surgery upcoming

Options
I will be having lap band surgery in June. I have not been given a date yet, but I have been through the prelimaries that I was required to do, see the dietician, counselor and have the sleep study. Now I have been told that I need to try to lose as much weight as I possible can pre surgery. Does anyone have any tips or advice? I tried to start the slim fast early but I am lactose intolerant and cannot tolerate the pre-mixed shakes. Is there anything else I can use that would work the same as slim fast?

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    There are protein powders for lactose intolerant and vegans, but I couldn't name any. But you will need that for right before and after surgery anyway, so it's a good idea to find one that you can tolerate, and enjoy, now. You might start by replacing one meal a day with the protein shake.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    most whey powders have a very small amount of lactose, so depending how intolerant you are it may or may not be ok ,
    theres egg based and soy based protein powders that are lactose free, if you're seriously intolerant

Designer Whey comes to mind ...
    hemp protein powders, like those sold at Whole foods and Trader joes..
    egg white protein powder
    brown rice powder
    i wouldn't recommend the pea or bean based ones, they are kind of nasty
    then of course, if you are ok with it , soy based powder are good
  • musicathy
    musicathy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're not required to do the shakes, I would look up a low calorie, low-glycemic diet. When doing the pre-op shakes, I ended up consuming about 800 calories/day and everything HAD to be low-glycemic in order to get into ketosis which makes you burn fat off your liver quickly. So If I were in your shoes I would either find a high protein, lactose-free shake (slimfast is crap anyway - not very high protein and all chemicals) OR just follow a low GI diet targeting 800-1000 cals/day, I'd recommend sending an email to the dietician to see if they have any recommendations for you, too. Good luck!