How many calories are you really burning?

bttrthanevr
bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
I came across a really interesting article on calculating actual calorie burn (and on calorie burn of running vs. walking). I had been wondering if MFP or runtastic took into account that I would be doing something else if I wasn't running. Even if that something was just lounging on the couch just breathing with organs functioning. Well...I guess this article answers the question!

And for those of you wondering whether or not to eat back all your calories or not...I would say eating back about half would be the thing to do considering the science of the article. Very Interesting! Thank you Runner's World!

Entire article http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Here are the formulas for calculating your TOTAL burn and your NET burn (for both running and walking), NET meaning the extra energy expenditure of running or walking vs. just living and breathing. The "Net Calorie Burn" measures calories burned, minus basal metabolism. Scientists consider this the best way to evaluate the actual calorie-burn of any exercise. The walking formulas apply to walking speeds of 3 to 4 mph (At 5 mph and faster, walking burns more calories than running.) FASCINATING! But I still choose running since I do not walk THAT fast!

RUNNING Your Total Calorie Burn/Mile=.75 x your weight (in lbs.)
RUNNING Your Net Calorie Burn/Mile=.63 x your weight

WALKING Your Total Calorie Burn/Mile=.53 x your weight
WALKING Your Total Calorie .30 x your weight

Adapted from "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, Cameron et al, Dec. 2004.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Hunh. I thought running and walking were closer together. I think my fastest walking 5k was about 4.5 mph, which was pretty good.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 433 Member
    Interesting!!!!!

Are these calculations based on 1 mile of running or walking? I skimmed through the article quickly so I may have missed that.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Interesting!!!!!

Are these calculations based on 1 mile of running or walking? I skimmed through the article quickly so I may have missed that.

Isn't it interesting? And based on actual science. Cool!
    There are separate calculations for each-running or walking. The formula is in my original post.