June 2013 28 Day Open KB Challenge

Options
jojoboxing
jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
Anyone up for a KB challenge? Any ideas? Or maybe an open challenge where you state your own goals and check in weekly? If you are in the middle of a workout program you could easily just make a challenge like "KB workout 3x weekly as per my program" or "end of June I should have progressed to 50KB swings with <some increased weight>" or "lose 4lbs with my incorporated KB workout". Challenge will run for 4 weeks starting on June 1st, 2nd, or 3rd depending on what works for your schedule best.

I'm new so if I'm breaking some rules let me know. :)

Replies

• jojoboxing
    Options
    I will use a circuit I found on a website when I first got my KBs. I've done this circuit a few times and i like it. So my goal is to do the following circuit at least 15 rounds per week:

25 Two-Hand Swings
    10 Turkish Get Ups
    40 Two-Hand Swings
    20 Goblet Box Squats
    10 KB Russian Twists
    20 KB Clean and Press (10 each arm on each round)
    25 Two-Hand Swings

Week 1 (June 2-8): 0/15 rounds completed
    Week 2(June 9-15): 0/15 rounds completed
    Week 3(June 16-22): 0/15 rounds completed
    Week 4(June 23-June 29): 0/15 rounds completed
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    Did a trial run of my circuit last night. And it took me 16min. Don't remember these being so hard. Might drop my goal to 12 rounds weekly.
  • LadyPaleo
    LadyPaleo Posts: 24
    Options
    Oooh! Let me put some thought into this... I'm up for a challenge! Just need to figure it out.
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    Excellent.

12 rounds/week is probably a lofty goal for me but why not shoot for what seems impossible.

. Challenge will run for 4 weeks starting on June 1st, 2nd, or 3rd depending on what works for your schedule best. Those dates are a Saturday, Sunday, or Monday respectively.
  • Dartmouth501
    Dartmouth501 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would be interested. I have only done the two handed swing. Do you have a website that shows the other exercises you are doing?
  • LadyPaleo
    Options
    OK, so here's the deal -- I am going to be out of town on travel at the tail end of June. So my challenge to myself is do complete 500 minutes of kettlebell training for the month of June (starting on June 1, and top loaded in the first three weeks). I currently train about 400 minutes over a 4-week month, so this would certainly be upping my time.

June goal: 500 minutes of kettlebell training
    Start date: June 1
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    I would be interested. I have only done the two handed swing. Do you have a website that shows the other exercises you are doing?

This is where I found my workout program. The site does have exercise tutorials but they aren't that great.
    http://www.kettlebellexercisefitness.com/kettlebells-300.html

youtube is my main source.

You could just do swings in intervals and continue to do whatever other exercises you do.
  • kdew2
    kdew2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Here is an excellent source that shows pictures/videos of different KB exercises.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/equipment/id/10/equipment/kettlebells

Be careful with videos on You Tube unless you know they are using proper technique. Try searching Tracy Reifkind or Geoff Neupert. They are fantastic teachers and both have videos available on You Tube. Hope this helps. :)
  • kdew2
    kdew2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will take part in this challenge. Will be back shortly to let you know what my goals are.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have been in serious slug mode for... um... *cough cough* months now. I was having shoulder problems which I conveniently used as an excuse to basically do nothing.

HOwever, the shoulder is feeling a lot better and I've been given the OK to do exercises that don't aggravate it, and KB swings don't hurt.

I found a 21 day swing challenge, and I see no reason not to get started on June 1!

My goal will be to complete the 21 day challenge, perhaps with one or two rest days added in per week (going from "slug" to "kettlebeast" might require rest days, is all I"m saying), and finish within 4 weeks.

I'm in, thanks for posting this.
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    I found a 21 day swing challenge, and I see no reason not to get started on June 1!

Excellent! what are the designs of the 21 day challenge?

I did a 5 mile walk upon waking up. Will do a KB circuit after going out with the family.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If it's the 21 Day Swing challenge i'm thinking of, it's a pdf that Josh Hillis sells that outlines a basic swing program. It's a good starter program. It was one that i began with a few years back.
  • LadyPaleo
    Options
    500 minute KB Challenge for June (1st three weeks)
    50 minutes done; 450 minutes of training to go.
  • amandammmq
    Options
    If it's the 21 Day Swing challenge i'm thinking of, it's a pdf that Josh Hillis sells that outlines a basic swing program. It's a good starter program. It was one that i began with a few years back.

Yes, this is the one. http://www.21daykettlebell.com/

I completed day 1 yesterday, beginner level, and it was very doable for someone who hasn't been exercising very much. I like that there are Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced options..
  • jojoboxing
    Options
    25 Two-Hand Swings
    10 Turkish Get Ups
    40 Two-Hand Swings
    20 Goblet Box Squats
    10 KB Russian Twists
    20 KB Clean and Press (10 each arm on each round)
    25 Two-Hand Swings

Week 1 (June 2-8): 1/10 rounds completed
    Week 2(June 9-15): 0/10 rounds completed
    Week 3(June 16-22): 0/10 rounds completed
    Week 4(June 23-June 29): 0/10 rounds completed

guess i start today. I changed my goals as my focus is walking for another 2 weeks.
    1 round Total time approx 12 minutes. I'm thinking to add two 55 rep two handed swings into the workout so I can make it 2K swings per week.
  • LadyPaleo
    Options
    100 minutes done; 400 minutes of training to go.
  • amandammmq
    Options

Nice!

I have completed the first three days of my 21 day challenge. Today was a "rest day", because I take things easy on acupuncture day. :bigsmile:
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I completed day 1 yesterday, beginner level, and it was very doable for someone who hasn't been exercising very much. I like that there are Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced options..

Thanks for the link. I just purchased it and am going to try it.
  • jojoboxing
    Options

A true champion.
  • amandammmq
    Options

Thanks for the link. I just purchased it and am going to try it.

Excellent, let me know how it goes!