I will do this, but I could use help :)

Options
Tatiyanya
Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
Ello. As for now I'ts my 2nd day without a smoke and first one when i'm not facing White Russians Revenge (i forgot the drink takes name from vodka and served myself the worst hangover i had in decade) so I suspect the withdrawal will hit any time now cos I can now look at strong tea with milk and coffee again. Cigs are next on list.

So , being determinated to quit due to health and FINANCIAL reasons I come here for some pointers, good advices etc.
Tricks to trick mind. Especialy cos I have very strong oral/manual fixation around cigarettes and I only quit once , few years ago and it lasted 4 years but the moment I broke up with the reason for quiting the ciggies claimed me back. I was also very scared I will gain weight without the cancer inna stick, but now , due to gluten intolerance and needing to change diet I was informed some gain will happen eitherway while i heal. So if not now then when? Also would be nice if together with my guts healing my lungs, sense of smell and all the rest healed too, no? It's perfect moment for me I think,

I know anyone goes differently around smoking, but any advice can be the gold one.
Motivation , possitive or negative etc etc etc.
I know i can and i will do this, I just...could use your help :)

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I quit with Champix and the electronic smoke. I smoked for 27 years and LOVED to smoke. I can support you if you need it.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I quit using the patch and also eletronic cig. I would recommend starting yoga or something along those lines as a way to help you manage stress easier; I was a constantly anxious for about a month while my body went through withdrawals. I also found that chewing gum helped my cravings.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy (literally) smoker for 37 years and quit 1 1/2 years ago cold turkey when I was 4 weeks in my weight loss journey. The first 3 days were tough and to keep my lips busy I had a pencil with me all the time. When the craving was strong I did push ups. Oh boy, that made me quite fit and my biceps and triceps were lovely :-) I put the money I would have spent for ciggies in a tin and spend it later on a new hair style and sports gear. Yes, like so many other quitters I took up running and still do my miles every week. Try to do physical exercise whenever the craving comes. It does help
    Good luck on your journey

Forgot to mention that in doing all this I did NOT gain but kept losing
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am 38 days cig free. I used the book Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking for Women (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) as well as the patch. No withdrawl at all and I love how I smell now and how everything tastes :)
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    How you getting on??
  • candik1
    candik1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Candi and I quit smoking cigarettes a month ago. I switched to e-cigarettes. Or more appropriately, a personal vapor called the Vamo. When I quit smoking, I was at about 1/2 pad more or less of full flavor menthol. Now, I vape less than .5 ml of 12mg nic juice in a 50/50 pg/vg blend. It takes me about 2 weeks to go through 5 ml. I was off the cigarettes from the very first vape. I still have the last 8 cigarettes but I have no desire to light one up.

I no longer smell or taste like an ashtray, my stamina has increased, I don't run out of breath, my sense of taste and smell are making a return and I sleep much better. All around it has been a positive move. The money I've saved by not buying cigarettes has already paid for the Vamo, e juice delivery devices (ce4 clearo's, vivi nova and dct tanks), the nic juice and mixers (pg and vg).

I know there are some people who feel that vaping is still smoking and well, since I'm still getting the nicotine (albeit in smaller doses), it could be viewed that way. But I'm not lighting up and getting all the toxins (or sharing them!) that a burning cigarette creates. I don't use tobacco. Eventually I"ll be off this too. But for now, this works.
  • jessIcalynn63
    jessIcalynn63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to quit smoking. I have quit for three months recently but I went back to it. :( I have tried the e-cigarette that last time. It seemed to work for me. My issue now is getting back the willpower to stop with the real cigs.
  • candik1
    candik1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue people have who are trying to quit using the e-cig is the performance of the ones you buy at the corner store. The closer to a cigarette it looks, the less likely it is to be effective. Short vaping time between battery charges, limited flavors and nicotine strength available and just the overall "vape" it provides. Having once tried the disposable kind, I can certainly relate to that.

If you are using an e-cig alternative to smoking an actual cigarette and you're still craving the cigarette, the most likely problem is you're not using the correct strength of e-juice (aka nicotine liquid). It's not uncommon to use a strength that is no where near what you would get with a cigarette. Some need stronger, some need less. I smoked full flavored menthol, but only about 1/2 pack daily. When I switched, I was able to find my "sweet" spot at 12mg. There are others who smoked light cigarettes at either the same 1/2 pack or more daily and needed to use a 36mg. It just varies from person to person. There is no one size fits all.

When you think about needing some willpower to stop smoking, keep in mind, there are over 4,000 toxins being consumed with each and every cigarette you smoke just to get to the nicotine. An e-cig (at least the one I have and the kind of juice I use), has only the nicotine.

Not to mention the added bonus of being able to taste yummy things without the caloric price...
  • Mutterz
    Mutterz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 days in using the nicolite E-cig and I've not really had a huge temper tantrum or felt a real serious craving (early days i know). I found using the menthol flavour one a huge plus as I don't think anyone has accurately replicated the "flavour" of tobacco, plus isn't the point of this to get ourselves away from the tobacco? by smoking the menthol one I've just developed an addiction to mint imperials :S not great as they are 9.9 cals each but oh well I'll deal with that too lol :)