Feisty and Fifty-two

Options
louisemallas
louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
Looking for friends for support if you want to add me :)

Replies

• viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Yeah, I'm fiesty and fifty two too! I'll add you when I can work out how to do it. I'm still working my way around this site, ha, ha!
  • luviehowel
    luviehowel Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello Feisty and Fifty-two Pal's,
    I am fifty-one can I jump in on the party, I really need some help and motivation.
    I just joined so I am also trying to find my way around. I am up for any advise at anytime.
    Thank, Luvie
  • debirosemac
    Options
    are we having fun yet? what if any suggestions for exercise dvd's. something easy to follow for a beginner and then we'll move on to the fancy zuma steps once we can get over the fears of tripping over our own feet.
  • louisemallas
    Options
    I'm fully up for the fun at some point but I'd like to lose some of my tum first - I find I jiggle one way but the tum's going the other way........ Til then I'm on my elliptical trainer to dance music which has me going at a pace and walking as we have a pedometer challenge going at work for 10000 steps a day. Because I'm a little bit.... oh ok, a lot... competitive, it's keeping me focused and I'm exceeding the total! I wanted to go straight into insanity but my daughter says it will kill me and she's probably right!
  • Leena1225
    Leena1225 Posts: 16
    Options
    Louisemallas you're probably smart to start slowly. I watched my daughters doing Insanity and then p90x, and I agree it would probably kill us if we started with that. :happy: I'm starting with treadmill walking until I can build up my energy level and stamina. Menopause has taken a toll on both of those. Once I 'feel' more energy I'm moving to my elliptical. My thought is as long as I'm moving more everyday, it's got to help. The pedometer challenge is a great idea by the way.
  • angelgayla
    angelgayla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey Louise! *waves* Just joined this new group, too, and I'm always looking for friends who like motivation & support. I had joined another Women Over 50 group, but it was inactive for the most part. I'm hoping this one will attract some more participation.
  • debirosemac
    Options
    good afternoon fellow dieters. you all sound so secure in your ability to succeed. I'm not quite so confident! however I'm still plodding along refusing to give up on myself.
    hugs4now
    im open for requests for friends!
  • debirosemac
    Options
    angelagayla did you lose 94 pounds?
  • louisemallas
    Options
    Hi there - this time I will succeed. I've never felt mentally more ready - lets hope we can keep this group going and motivate each other! I've no doubt I will need reminding of the first sentence of this post at some point, lol
  • louisemallas
    Options
    Louisemallas you're probably smart to start slowly. I watched my daughters doing Insanity and then p90x, and I agree it would probably kill us if we started with that. :happy: I'm starting with treadmill walking until I can build up my energy level and stamina. Menopause has taken a toll on both of those. Once I 'feel' more energy I'm moving to my elliptical. My thought is as long as I'm moving more everyday, it's got to help. The pedometer challenge is a great idea by the way.
    Hey Leena125 - with you on the menopause front - that totally sneaked up on me and stole my life, my energy, my figure, etc. I'm determined to get it back though. My daughter is trying to get me to do the yoga thing with insanity but I've never been into that - too slow and boring.....lol. I can recommend a pedometer though, I use mine all year round and try to hit a target 10000 steps a day which is approx 5 miles depending on your stride. I usually get 2.5 miles in on my lunch (I have a circuit which just happens to take me past New Look, ha, ha) and then run about during the day. Its about finding those little ways to increase your steps. I drink lots of water and am forever running up and downstairs to go to the loo at work and the water is good for me. Little things like that help.
  • angelgayla
    Options
    angelagayla did you lose 94 pounds?

Yes. :smile:
  • htecm
    htecm Posts: 41
    Options
    Angelgayla- CONGRATULATIONS on your HUGE loss! What benefits do you see compared to your health at the heaviest weight? Just kinda curious as to what to look forward too.
  • htecm
    Options
    That insanity workout really looks intense! I might think about it and get myself mentally motivated to try it. Looks awesome. Youtube has a couple workout videos to practice on.
  • angelgayla
    Options
    Angelgayla- CONGRATULATIONS on your HUGE loss! What benefits do you see compared to your health at the heaviest weight? Just kinda curious as to what to look forward too.

Thanks! At my heaviest, I was on one medication for high blood pressure and two meds for diabetes. My family physician told me that my next step would be insulin shots and he even suggested that I look into surgical options for weight loss because of my health issues. I did not have surgery. Now I don't need to take any meds for HBP or diabetes! The weight loss has made a huge difference with my knees, too. I'm not scared of stairs anymore. There is A LOT to look forward to!
  • htecm
    Options
    Wow, your off HBP & diabetes meds, thats reward in itself! I am impressed. I have to lose too or I will be on HBP. Also cholesterol. I was given this last chance to do what I have to do and get as close to 188 by June 18th as I possibly can. Thats a lot of weight but it can be done. I walked like 6 miles just today. I been walking 3 every day (guessing its 3). I walk 1 mile in 20 minutes and I walked for 57-63 minutes, so thats how I measure. My heart rate stays up & I like that. I am happy your seeing many benefits. I am proud of you. I got 52 lbs to lose from where I am today.Only 38 once I hit this 188. I am busting my butt to seriously cut cals (1200 a day) and exercise each day as well. I am fasting today and tomorrow and friday til 9 p.m then I am calling it over. Fasting is good in short little increments. I will fall back on it if needed when the time gets closer. I will win my battle! I am the 'fiesty near fifty' one who will not lose this challenge my doc gave me.
  • Leena1225
    Options
    Htecm I love your attitude. Keep thinking like that and you'll make it. Good for you.
    Angelgayla I'm in awe of what you've already accomplished and wish you the best in your journey going forward.
    Thanks ladies for the encouragement.
  • htecm
    Options
    Thanks. I broke my fast tonight. I was going to do it 3 days but I can't. I am too old to do that anymore. I needed food. Maybe I needed to prepare a little more. Next week I am goin gto try this other diet where I fast 2 days. I am fasting but I get 500 cals. I am gonna read more up on it. 3 days is just too long. I was very hungry. I was getting tired, and thought maybe I better eat, so I did. I had a hot dog, an apple, and my honey/cinnamon/peanutbutter on toast. I am sorry if I let anyone down. I need to better prepare I believe. I have fasted before but I was younger then. Sorry.
  • louisemallas
    Options
    Thanks. I broke my fast tonight. I was going to do it 3 days but I can't. I am too old to do that anymore. I needed food. Maybe I needed to prepare a little more. Next week I am goin gto try this other diet where I fast 2 days. I am fasting but I get 500 cals. I am gonna read more up on it. 3 days is just too long. I was very hungry. I was getting tired, and thought maybe I better eat, so I did. I had a hot dog, an apple, and my honey/cinnamon/peanutbutter on toast. I am sorry if I let anyone down. I need to better prepare I believe. I have fasted before but I was younger then. Sorry.

Hi There - you really don't need to fast - eat regularly every day and just record it. It's the fasting that leads to the binging; I know I've been there. Don't be sorry - you didn't let anyone down. You just need to rethink it like I did :big hugs:
  • angelgayla
    Options

No need to apologize because you haven't done anything to be sorry for! I'm afraid that I'm not on board with the fasting thing. I know - for me - if I tried to fast, that would send me into an overeating situation for sure as I would feel the need to "compensate". I do better with the eating small meals every 3 hours. It's worked wonders for keeping my blood sugar levels on an even keel, too. Fasting may not be the thing for you, but don't give up! Keep trying and find the plan that works for you.
  • Leena1225
    Options
    I also can not fast without binge-ing, and I don't believe it's good for women our age. We need our sugar levels, as well as other stored nutrients, to stay steady in our system. I've been told or read that fasting puts your body into a starvation mode where it then holds tight to the fat cells, but releases waters and glucose. Sounds too dangerous to me, but that's just my opinion. I also agree there's nothing to be sorry for. We are all still trying to learn what works for us and what doesn't. Everybody's different.

:flowerforyou: