17 Day Diet & Hypothyroidism

Options
Hello,
I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism from 4 yrs and have been taking levothyroxine. My TSH levels are in normal range. I started on 17 day diet on April 8th, 2013 and lost 4 lbs so far. I completed first two cycles and started the third cycle on Sunday. I have been sticking to that diet without any cheating and has been doing exercises (Yoga in the AM & walking in the evening for 30 mins). I lost 3.4 lbs on first cycle and 0.6 lbs on second cycle. My body seems like too stubborn and not loosing anymore. I have read that people loose 10-17 lbs in first cycle with 17DD. Also I have seen many of my colleagues who tried 17DD and has reduced 20-30 lbs in 68 days. But for me it is somehow not working. I am not yet ready to loose hope and is still sticking to diet hoping someday I will loose. But sometimes I wonder may be this diet doesn't work for people with Hypothyroidism. I appreciate your valuable suggestions.
Thanks!

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    discussed this diet with your doctor? It might be a good idea to run the requirements of the diet by your doc and see what they suggest.
    From what I know about hypothyroidism, a diet high in fiber and complex carbs would be good for weightloss. In the 17 day diet you don't get much in carbs until cycle 3. You may see your weightloss start picking up during that cycle instead of with the first 2. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • rafqa125
    rafqa125 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks mycrazy8s!

Yeah, I have discussed the diet with Dr and he said this diet is okay for thyroid people. According to him weight watchers is the best and I personally cannot do weight watchers at this point of life. I did a calorie count per Dr and found that I eat around 800 cals a day which he said is okay with the metabolism I have. You are right about carbs, I started with carbs in my third cycle and I am not putting on lot of weight compared to 2nd cycle. I am still holding on to this diet to do 4 cycles at least once. Still waiting for that magic to happen on 17 DD.