Could use some feedback on my lifting routine please!!

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
I could really use some feedback on the lifting routine I've been doing for the last 2 weeks. Because of a knee injury (runner's knee), I'm not supposed to be doing any squats or lunges so I've had to modify quite a bit.

So below is what I've been doing 3x a week (MWF), full-body routine using Select Tech dumbbells. 3 sets x 10 reps, while increasing weight increments each week. About 20 seconds of rest between moves to adjust weights. Rest only 60 seconds between each set.

In this order:

weighted glute bridges
RDL's
weighted hip thrusts
bench press
seated cable rows
pushups
lat raises
arnold press
bicep curls
overhead tricep extension

Does this sound like a well-rounded routine?? Until I can get back to my beloved squats and lunges for lower body, this is what I've come up with.

Any feedback? Suggestions? Advice? Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this as a circuit?

What are your goals?
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Are you doing this as a circuit?

What are your goals?

Yes, doing it as a circuit. 20 seconds of rest between each move to adjust weights. Resting 60 seconds between each set. I do one entire circuit then rest, then repeat, rest and repeat for a total of 3 times.

My goal is to lose fat/weight. I eat in a deficit (about 15%) right now so I know I probably won't be building any new muscle but I at least want to maintain the lean muscle mass I do have.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Seems to be lacking in the lower body area. Add some squats and lunges maybe?
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Seems to be lacking in the lower body area. Add some squats and lunges maybe?

I've been told by my doctor to avoid squats and lunges temporarily until my knee heals. I was hoping between the RDL's, glute bridges and hip thrusts that my lower body wouldn't be lacking!!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Doh! Sorry. Totally missed the "can't do squats and lunges"!

Glute bridges and hip thrusts are more core than legs though. The Romanian Dead Lifts are good, but they mostly hit the back of the legs, not the quads so much.

Check with your doctor and see if there is something that you can do (leg extensions or leg presses maybe) to hit the quads a bit more.

All in all it looks like a decent program, and if you're liking it and it's working stick with it. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Rebumping
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Agreed with the fact that this looks to be lacking in a quad dominant move, so it would be a good idea to see if you can do leg presses/extensions as suggested above.

The main thing I do not like about the routine is that it is a circuit. I would like to see it more of a focus on performance rather than speed. Preferably you would do the 3 sets of each move before moving onto the next. I would also drop the number of reps slightly (will save time also). Aside from quads, the routine does cover the main muscle groups, but I would:

- drop either the hip thrusts or bridges
    - add lat pull downs or pull ups (negatives preferably assuming you cannot do a full pull up)
    - drop the lat raises
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking in order to keep track of active threads. Feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel, including a link to this thread, if you wish to add any comments or questions, and we will unlock so you can do so.
This discussion has been closed.